My five pounds are not as good as yours, so I will spend them
An experimental approach is used to examine how money denomination and the choice between or availability of coins and banknotes may influence consumers’ purchasing behaviour. Evidence shows that for small amounts of money, consumers may prefer a smaller monetary value in banknotes rather than a higher value in coins. Findings also suggest that people carrying coins are more likely to make a purchase of small value than people not carrying coins. Copyright Economic Science Association 2013
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manoj Thomas & Kalpesh Kaushik Desai & Satheeshkumar Seenivasan, 2011. "How Credit Card Payments Increase Unhealthy Food Purchases: Visceral Regulation of Vices," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(1), pages 126 - 139.
- Bruce, Vicki & Gilmore, David & Mason, Lynn & Mayhew, Pamela, 1983. "Factors affecting the perceived value of coins," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-347, December.
- van Hove, Leo & Heyndels, Bruno, 1996. "On the optimal spacing of currency denominations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 547-552, May.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1997.
"More on optimal denominations for coins and currency,"
9702, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1997. "More on optimal denominations for coins and currency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 221-225, August.
- Cannon, Edmund & Cipriani, Giam Pietro, 2006.
"Euro-Illusion: A Natural Experiment,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1391-1403, August.
- Manjong Lee & Neil Wallace & Tao Zhu, 2005. "Modeling Denomination Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(3), pages 949-960, 05.
- Kooreman, Peter & Faber, Riemer & Hofmans, Heleen, 2004.
"Charity Donations and the Euro Introduction: Some Quasi-Experimental Evidence on Money Illusion,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1318, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kooreman, Peter & Faber, Riemer P & Hofmans, Heleen M J, 2004. "Charity Donations and the Euro Introduction: Some Quasi-Experimental Evidence on Money Illusion," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(6), pages 1121-24, December.
- Furnham, Adrian, 1983. "Inflation and the estimated sizes of notes," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 349-352, December.
- Telser, L. G., 1995. "Optimal denominations for coins and currency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 425-427, October.
- Van Hove, Leo, 2001. "Optimal Denominations for Coins and Bank Notes: In Defense of the Principle of Least Effort," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 1015-21, November.
- Kohli, Ulrich, 1988. "A note on banknote characteristics and the demand for currency by denomination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 389-399, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:expeco:v:16:y:2013:i:4:p:546-559. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.