Layoffs, quits and wage negotiations
This paper studies the ex-ante effect of worker separations on wage negotiations using matched worker-firm data from The Netherlands. We find that wage negotiations aim to prevent separations; workers with a high propensity to quit are offered higher wages, while workers with a high layoff probability give up some of their wage.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gielen, Anne C. & van Ours, Jan C., 2006.
"Why Do Worker-Firm Matches Dissolve?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2165, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2006.
"Job Search, Bargaining, and Wage Dynamics,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0658, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2007. "Job Search, Bargaining, and Wage Dynamics," Department of Economics Working Papers 2007-03, McMaster University.
- Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2009. "Job Search, Bargaining, and Wage Dynamics," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-026, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2006. "Job Search, Bargaining, and Wage Dynamics," 2006 Meeting Papers 54, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Galizzi, Monica & Lang, Kevin, 1998. "Relative Wages, Wage Growth, and Quit Behavior," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(2), pages 367-91, April.
- Gielen, Anne & van Ours, Jan C, 2005.
"Age-Specific Cyclical Effects in Job Reallocation and Labour Mobility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5161, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gielen, Anne C. & van Ours, Jan C., 2006. "Age-specific cyclical effects in job reallocation and labor mobility," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 493-504, August.
- Gielen, Anne C. & van Ours, Jan C., 2005. "Age-Specific Cyclical Effects in Job Reallocation and Labor Mobility," IZA Discussion Papers 1670, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gielen, A. C. & van Ours, J.C., 2005. "Age-specific Cyclical Effects in Job Reallocation and Labor Mobility," Discussion Paper 2005-86, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- José Ignacio García Pérez & Yolanda Rebollo Sanz, 2004.
"Wage changes through job mobility in Europe: A multinomial endogenous switching approach,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2004/70, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Garcia Perez, Jose Ignacio & Rebollo Sanz, Yolanda, 2005. "Wage changes through job mobility in Europe: A multinomial endogenous switching approach," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 531-555, August.
- Joseph Altonji & R. Shakotko, 1985.
"Do Wages Rise with Job Seniority?,"
567, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2003.
"Wages and the Risk of Displacement,"
w200310, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2003. "Wages and the Risk of Displacement," CEF.UP Working Papers 0308, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Carneiro, Anabela & Portugal, Pedro, 2006. "Wages and the Risk of Displacement," IZA Discussion Papers 1926, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carneiro, Anabela & Portugal, Pedro, 2010. "Wages and the risk of displacement," Working Paper Series 1159, European Central Bank.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Farber, Henry S., 1999. "Mobility and stability: The dynamics of job change in labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 37, pages 2439-2483 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:109:y:2010:i:2:p:108-111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.