Demand and choice elasticities for a separable product group
Demand elasticities are derived from choice elasticities for a separable group of close substitutes. The example shows that choice and ordinary elasticities are similar for minor group members but radically different for the dominant member.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David L. Edgerton, 1997. "Weak Separability and the Estimation of Elasticities in Multistage Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 62-79.
- Robert A. Pollak, 1969. "Conditional Demand Functions and Consumption Theory," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 83(1), pages 60-78.
- Alain Carpentier & Hervé Guyomard, 2001. "Unconditional Elasticities in Two-Stage Demand Systems: An Approximate Solution," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 222-229.
- Hans Kremers & Peter Nijkamp & Piet Rietveld, 2000.
"A Meta-Analysis of Price Elasticities of Transport Demand in a General Equilibrium Framework,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-060/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kremers, Hans & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2002. "A meta-analysis of price elasticities of transport demand in a general equilibrium framework," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 463-485, May.
- Brons, Martijn & Nijkamp, Peter & Pels, Eric & Rietveld, Piet, 2008. "A meta-analysis of the price elasticity of gasoline demand. A SUR approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2105-2122, September.
- Peter M. Guadagni & John D. C. Little, 2008. "A Logit Model of Brand Choice Calibrated on Scanner Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 29-48, 01-02.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2008.
"Price elasticities of demand are minus one-half,"
Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 490-493, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:108:y:2010:i:2:p:134-136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.