Leadership effects: school principals and student outcomes
We identify the effect of individual high school principals on graduation rates and English exam scores using an administrative data set of grade 12 students in BC Canada. Many principals were rotated across schools by districts, permitting isolation of the effect of principals from the effect of schools. We estimate the variance of the idiosyncratic effect of principals on student outcomes using a semi-parametric technique assuming the effect is time invariant. We also allow for the possibility that principals take time to realize their full effect at a school.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric A. Hanushek, 2003.
"The Failure of Input-Based Schooling Policies,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F64-F98, February.
- Cory Koedel, 2007.
"Teacher Quality and Dropout Outcomes in a Large, Urban School District,"
0713, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Koedel, Cory, 2008. "Teacher quality and dropout outcomes in a large, urban school district," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 560-572, November.
- Alan B. Krueger, 2003.
"Economic Considerations and Class Size,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F34-F63, February.
- Alan Krueger, 2000. "Economic Considerations and Class Size," Working Papers 826, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Alan B. Krueger, 2002. "Economic Considerations and Class Size," NBER Working Papers 8875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan B. Krueger, 2000. "Economic Considerations and class size," Working Papers 975, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Research on Child Wellbeing..
- Kelly Foley, 2012. "Can neighbourhoods change the decisions of youth on the margins of university participation?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(1), pages 167-188, February.
- Eric A. Hanushek & John F. Kain & Steven G. Rivkin, 1998.
"Teachers, Schools, and Academic Achievement,"
NBER Working Papers
6691, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas J. Kane & Jonah E. Rockoff & Douglas O. Staiger, 2006.
"What Does Certification Tell Us About Teacher Effectiveness? Evidence from New York City,"
NBER Working Papers
12155, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kane, Thomas J. & Rockoff, Jonah E. & Staiger, Douglas O., 2008. "What does certification tell us about teacher effectiveness? Evidence from New York City," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 615-631, December.
- Pedro Carneiro & Karsten T. Hansen & James J. Heckman, 2003. "Estimating Distributions of Treatment Effects with an Application to the Returns to Schooling and Measurement of the Effects of Uncertainty on College," NBER Working Papers 9546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hanushek, Eric, 1971. "Teacher Characteristics and Gains in Student Achievement: Estimation Using Micro Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 280-88, May.
- Petra E. Todd & Kenneth I. Wolpin, 2003. "On The Specification and Estimation of The Production Function for Cognitive Achievement," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F3-F33, February.
- Foley, Kelly & Gallipoli, Giovanni & Green, David A., 2010.
"Ability, Parental Valuation of Education and the High School Dropout Decision,"
CLSSRN working papers
clsrn_admin-2010-14, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 30 Apr 2010.
- Kelly Foley & Giovanni Gallipoli & David A. Green, 2014. "Ability, Parental Valuation of Education, and the High School Dropout Decision," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 49(4), pages 906-944.
- Kelly Foley & Giovanni Gallipoli & David A. Green, 2009. "Ability, parental valuation of education and the high school dropout decision," IFS Working Papers W09/21, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Brian A. Jacob & Steven D. Levitt, 2003.
"Rotten Apples: An Investigation Of The Prevalence And Predictors Of Teacher Cheating,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 843-877, August.
- Brian A. Jacob & Steven D. Levitt, 2003. "Rotten Apples: An Investigation of the Prevalence and Predictors of Teacher Cheating," NBER Working Papers 9413, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gates, Susan M. & Ringel, Jeanne S. & Santibanez, Lucrecia & Guarino, Cassandra & Ghosh-Dastidar, Bonnie & Brown, Abigail, 2006. "Mobility and turnover among school principals," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 289-302, June.
- Coelli, Michael B. & Green, David A. & Warburton, William P., 2007.
"Breaking the cycle? The effect of education on welfare receipt among children of welfare recipients,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1369-1398, August.
- Michael B. Coelli & David A. Green & William P. Warburton, 2004. "Breaking the cycle? The effect of education on welfare receipt among children of welfare recipients," IFS Working Papers W04/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jonah E. Rockoff, 2004. "The Impact of Individual Teachers on Student Achievement: Evidence from Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 247-252, May.
- Dan D. Goldhaber & Dominic J. Brewer, 1997. "Why Don't Schools and Teachers Seem to Matter? Assessing the Impact of Unobservables on Educational Productivity," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(3), pages 505-523.
- Carneiro, Pedro & Hansen, Karsten & Heckman, James, 2003.
"Estimating distributions of treatment effects with an application to the returns to schooling and measurement of the effects of uncertainty on college choice,"
Working Paper Series
2003:9, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Carneiro, Pedro & Hansen, Karsten T. & Heckman, James J., 2003. "Estimating Distributions of Treatment Effects with an Application to the Returns to Schooling and Measurement of the Effects of Uncertainty on College Choice," IZA Discussion Papers 767, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Leigh, Andrew, 2010.
"Estimating teacher effectiveness from two-year changes in students' test scores,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 480-488, June.
- Andrew Leigh, 2009. "Estimating Teacher Effectiveness From Two-Year Changes in Students’ Test Scores," CEPR Discussion Papers 619, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Daniel Aaronson & Lisa Barrow & William Sander, 2002.
"Teachers and student achievement in the Chicago public high schools,"
Working Paper Series
WP-02-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Daniel Aaronson & Lisa Barrow & William Sander, 2007. "Teachers and Student Achievement in the Chicago Public High Schools," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 25, pages 95-135.
- David N. Figlio, 2005.
"Testing, Crime and Punishment,"
NBER Working Papers
11194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor Lavy, 2008. "Does Raising the Principal's Wage Improve the School's Outcomes? Quasi-experimental Evidence from an Unusual Policy Experiment in Israel," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(4), pages 639-662, December.
- Konstantopoulos, Spyros, 2007. "How Long Do Teacher Effects Persist?," IZA Discussion Papers 2893, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecoedu:v:31:y:2012:i:1:p:92-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.