Testing for serial independence of panel errors
A test for the serial independence of errors in panel data models is proposed. The test is based on the difference between the joint empirical characteristic function of residuals at different lags and the product of their marginal empirical characteristic functions. The test is nuisance-parameter-free and powerful against any type of pairwise dependence at all lags. A simple random permutation procedure is used to approximate the limit distribution of the test. A Monte Carlo experiment illustrates the finite sample performance of the test, and supports that the test statistic based on the estimated residuals has the same asymptotic distribution as the corresponding statistic based on the unobservable true errors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 76 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald J. Brown & Marten H. Wegkamp, 2002.
"Weighted Minimum Mean-Square Distance from Independence Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2035-2051, September.
- Donald J. Brown & Marten H. Wegkamp, 2001. "Weighted Minimum Mean-Square Distance from Independence Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1288, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos, 2007. "Weak convergence of non-stationary multivariate marked processes with applications to martingale testing," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(7), pages 1321-1336, August.
- Yongmiao Hong, 2000. "Generalized spectral tests for serial dependence," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(3), pages 557-574.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Song, Seuck Heun & Kwon, Jae Hyeok, 2009.
"Testing for heteroskedasticity and spatial correlation in a random effects panel data model,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 2897-2922, June.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck Heun Song & Jae Hyeok Kwon, 2008. "Testing for Heteroskedasticity and Spatial Correlation in a Random Effects Panel Data Model," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 108, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., .
"The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Atsushi Inoue & Gary Solon, 2005.
"A Portmanteau Test for Serially Correlated Errors in Fixed Effects Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Inoue, Atsushi & Solon, Gary, 2006. "A Portmanteau Test For Serially Correlated Errors In Fixed Effects Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 835-851, October.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- de PERETTI, PHILIPPE, 2005. "Testing The Significance Of The Departures From Utility Maximization," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 372-397, June.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-83, November.
- Yongmiao Hong & Chihwa Kao, 2004.
"Wavelet-Based Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form in Panel Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1519-1563, 09.
- Yongmiao Hong & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Wavelet-Based Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form in Panel Models," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 32, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi B-H & Bresson G. & Pirotte A., 2007.
"Forecasting with Spatial Panel Data,"
Working Papers ERMES
0710, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Ivo Welch & Amit Goyal, 2008.
"A Comprehensive Look at The Empirical Performance of Equity Premium Prediction,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 1455-1508, July.
- Amit Goyal & Ivo Welch, 2004. "A Comprehensive Look at the Empirical Performance of Equity Premium Prediction," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2412, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2006.
- Amit Goval & Ivo Welch, 2004. "A Comprehensive Look at the Empirical Performance of Equity Premium Prediction," NBER Working Papers 10483, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shin, Dong Wan & Park, Soo Jung & Oh, Man-Suk, 2009. "A robust sign test for panel unit roots under cross sectional dependence," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1312-1327, February.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Jacho-Chávez, David T., 2010. "Approximating the critical values of Cramér-von Mises tests in general parametric conditional specifications," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 625-636, March.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ng, Serena, 2006. "Testing Cross-Section Correlation in Panel Data Using Spacings," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 12-23, January.
- Okui, Ryo, 2009. "Testing serial correlation in fixed effects regression models based on asymptotically unbiased autocorrelation estimators," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 79(9), pages 2897-2909.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:76:y:2014:i:c:p:248-261. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.