Testing serial correlation in fixed effects regression models based on asymptotically unbiased autocorrelation estimators
Testing the presence of serial correlation in the error terms in fixed effects regression models is important for many reasons. This paper proposes portmanteau tests based on the sum of the squares of autocorrelation estimators. This approach is a direct extension of the Box–Pierce or Ljung–Box test from single time series to panel data settings. In fixed effects regression analysis, we may estimate the autocorrelations using the within-group autocorrelations of the residuals. However, the within-group autocorrelations may be severely biased when the length of the time series is not very large compared with the cross-sectional sample size, as a result of the incidental parameters problem. We overcome this problem by using asymptotically unbiased autocorrelation estimators for long panel data recently proposed by the author. Monte Carlo simulations reveal that the proposed tests have good size properties and are powerful against a wide range of alternatives.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 79 (2009)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/mathematics-and-computers-in-simulation/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yongmiao Hong & Chihwa Kao, 2004.
"Wavelet-Based Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form in Panel Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1519-1563, 09.
- Yongmiao Hong & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Wavelet-Based Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form in Panel Models," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 32, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Li, Qi, 1995. "Testing AR(1) against MA(1) disturbances in an error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 133-151, July.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Bera, Anil K. & Sosa-Escudero, Walter & Yoon, Mann, 2001.
"Tests for the error component model in the presence of local misspecification,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Anil K. Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000. "Tests for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1888, Econometric Society.
- Anil Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000. "Test for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification," Department of Economics, Working Papers 022, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Costas Meghir & Luigi Pistaferri, 2004.
"Income Variance Dynamics and Heterogeneity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 1-32, 01.
- Jinyong Hahn & Guido Kuersteiner, 2002. "Asymptotically Unbiased Inference for a Dynamic Panel Model with Fixed Effects when Both "n" and "T" Are Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1639-1657, July.
- Atsushi Inoue & Gary Solon, 2005.
"A Portmanteau Test for Serially Correlated Errors in Fixed Effects Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Inoue, Atsushi & Solon, Gary, 2006. "A Portmanteau Test For Serially Correlated Errors In Fixed Effects Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 835-851, October.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Wu, Ping X., 1999. "Unequally Spaced Panel Data Regressions With Ar(1) Disturbances," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 814-823, December.
- A. Bhargava & L. Franzini & W. Narendranathan, 2006.
"Serial Correlation and the Fixed Effects Model,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Econometrics, Statistics And Computational Approaches In Food And Health Sciences, chapter 4, pages 61-77
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Okui, Ryo, 2010. "Asymptotically Unbiased Estimation Of Autocovariances And Autocorrelations With Long Panel Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(05), pages 1263-1304, October.
- Bo Fu, 2002. "Testing model adequacy for dynamic panel data with intercorrelation," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 591-602, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matcom:v:79:y:2009:i:9:p:2897-2909. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.