A clipped latent variable model for spatially correlated ordered categorical data
We propose a model for a point-referenced spatially correlated ordered categorical response and methodology for inference. Models and methods for spatially correlated continuous response data are widespread, but models for spatially correlated categorical data, and especially ordered multi-category data, are less developed. Bayesian models and methodology have been proposed for the analysis of independent and clustered ordered categorical data, and also for binary and count point-referenced spatial data. We combine and extend these methods to describe a Bayesian model for point-referenced (as opposed to lattice) spatially correlated ordered categorical data. We include simulation results and show that our model offers superior predictive performance as compared to a non-spatial cumulative probit model and a more standard Bayesian generalized linear spatial model. We demonstrate the usefulness of our model in a real-world example to predict ordered categories describing stream health within the state of Maryland.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Yonghai & Schafer, Daniel W., 2008. "Likelihood analysis of the multivariate ordinal probit regression model for repeated ordinal responses," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 3474-3492, March.
- Jo Eidsvik & Sara Martino & H�Vard Rue, 2009. "Approximate Bayesian Inference in Spatial Generalized Linear Mixed Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 36(1), pages 1-22.
- Oliveira, Victor De, 2000. "Bayesian prediction of clipped Gaussian random fields," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 299-314, September.
- E. E. Kammann & M. P. Wand, 2003. "Geoadditive models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 52(1), pages 1-18.
- Vivekananda Roy & James P. Hobert, 2007. "Convergence rates and asymptotic standard errors for Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithms for Bayesian probit regression," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 607-623.
- J. Zhu & J. C. Eickhoff & P. Yan, 2005. "Generalized Linear Latent Variable Models for Repeated Measures of Spatially Correlated Multivariate Data," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 674-683, 09.
- Ludwig Fahrmeir & Stefan Lang, 2001. "Bayesian Semiparametric Regression Analysis of Multicategorical Time-Space Data," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 11-30, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:54:y:2010:i:8:p:1999-2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.