P-spline anova-type interaction models for spatio-temporal smoothing
In recent years, spatial and spatio-temporal modelling have become an important area of research in many fields (epidemiology, environmental studies, disease mapping, ...). However, most of the models developed are constrained by the large amounts of data available. We propose the use of Penalized splines (P-splines) in a mixed model framework for smoothing spatio-temporal data. Our approach allows the consideration of interaction terms which can be decomposed as a sum of smooth functions similarly as an ANOVA decomposition. The properties of the bases used for regression allow the use of algorithms that can handle large amount of data. We show that imposing the same constraints as in a factorial design it is possible to avoid identifiability problems. We illustrate the methodology for Europe ozone levels in the period 1999-2005.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/dpto_estadistica
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Dae-Jin & Durbán, María, 2009. "Smooth-CAR mixed models for spatial count data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 2968-2979, June.
- E. E. Kammann & M. P. Wand, 2003. "Geoadditive models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 52(1), pages 1-18.
- C. Gössl & D. P. Auer & L. Fahrmeir, 2001. "Bayesian Spatiotemporal Inference in Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 554-562, 06.
- I. D. Currie & M. Durban & P. H. C. Eilers, 2006. "Generalized linear array models with applications to multidimensional smoothing," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(2), pages 259-280.
- Ying C. MacNab & C. B. Dean, 2001. "Autoregressive Spatial Smoothing and Temporal Spline Smoothing for Mapping Rates," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 949-956, 09.
- Arũnas P. Verbyla & Brian R. Cullis & Michael G. Kenward & Sue J. Welham, 1999. "The Analysis of Designed Experiments and Longitudinal Data by Using Smoothing Splines," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 48(3), pages 269-311.
- Marx, Brian D. & Eilers, Paul H. C., 1998. "Direct generalized additive modeling with penalized likelihood," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 193-209, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wsrepe:ws093312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.