Estimating the percentage of food expenditure in small areas using bias-corrected P-spline based estimators
Small area estimators based on a penalized spline regression model approximating a non-linear but smooth relationship between a response and a given covariate are obtained. In each small area, individual curves are fitted using penalized splines with B-spline bases, exploiting the mixed model representation of the P-splines for inferential purposes. To account for possible bias, a design-oriented bootstrap correction is proposed. The mean squared error of the bias-corrected estimator is also provided. The methods are used to estimate the percentage of food expenditure for alternative household sizes at provincial level in Spain using the 2006 Spanish Household Budget Survey.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- I. D. Currie & M. Durban & P. H. C. Eilers, 2006. "Generalized linear array models with applications to multidimensional smoothing," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(2), pages 259-280.
- Heij, Christiaan & de Boer, Paul & Franses, Philip Hans & Kloek, Teun & van Dijk, Herman K., 2004. "Econometric Methods with Applications in Business and Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199268016.
- Helen Parise & M. P. Wand & David Ruppert & Louise Ryan, 2001. "Incorporation of historical controls using semiparametric mixed models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 50(1), pages 31-42.
- Sharon L. Lohr & J. N. K. Rao, 2009. "Jackknife estimation of mean squared error of small area predictors in nonlinear mixed models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(2), pages 457-468.
- Brent A. Coull & David Ruppert & M. P. Wand, 2001. "Simple Incorporation of Interactions into Additive Models," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 539-545, 06.
- Jiming Jiang & P. Lahiri, 2006. "Mixed model prediction and small area estimation," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 15(1), pages 1-96, June.
- Eilers, Paul H.C. & Currie, Iain D. & Durban, Maria, 2006. "Fast and compact smoothing on large multidimensional grids," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 61-76, January.
- A. F. Militino & M. D. Ugarte & T. Goicoa, 2007. "A BLUP Synthetic Versus an EBLUP Estimator: An Empirical Study of a Small Area Estimation Problem," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 153-165.
- Ugarte, M.D. & Goicoa, T. & Militino, A.F. & Durbán, M., 2009. "Spline smoothing in small area trend estimation and forecasting," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(10), pages 3616-3629, August.
- Pfeffermann, Danny & Barnard, Charles H, 1991. "Some New Estimators for Small-Area Means with Application to the Assessment of Farmland Values," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(1), pages 73-84, January.
- M. Ugarte & A. Militino & T. Goicoa, 2009. "Benchmarked estimates in small areas using linear mixed models with restrictions," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 18(2), pages 342-364, August.
- M. D. Ugarte & A. F. Militino & T. Goicoa, 2008. "Adjusting economic estimates in business surveys," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(11), pages 1253-1265.
- J. D. Opsomer & G. Claeskens & M. G. Ranalli & G. Kauermann & F. J. Breidt, 2008. "Non-parametric small area estimation using penalized spline regression," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 70(1), pages 265-286.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:10:p:2934-2948. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.