Model and distribution uncertainty in multivariate GARCH estimation: A Monte Carlo analysis
Multivariate GARCH models are in principle able to accommodate the features of the dynamic conditional covariances; nonetheless the interaction between model parametrization of the second conditional moment and the conditional density of asset returns adopted in the estimation determines the fitting of such models to the observed dynamics of the data. Alternative MGARCH specifications and probability distributions are compared on the basis of forecasting performances by means of Monte Carlo simulations, using both statistical and financial forecasting loss functions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brailsford, Timothy J. & Faff, Robert W., 1996. "An evaluation of volatility forecasting techniques," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 419-438, April.
- Neil Shephard & Torben G. Andersen, 2008.
"Stochastic Volatility: Origins and Overview,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2008fe23, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Neil Shephard & Torben Andersen, 2008. "Stochastic Volatility: Origins and Overview," Economics Papers 2008-W04, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Neil Shephard & Torben G. Andersen, 2008. "Stochastic Volatility: Origins and Overview," Economics Series Working Papers 389, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAFNER, Christian M. & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate mixed normal conditional heteroskedasticity,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1906, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, L. & Hafner, C.M. & Rombouts, J.V.K., 2007. "Multivariate mixed normal conditional heteroskedasticity," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3551-3566, April.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAFNER, Christian & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2006. "Multivariate mixed normal conditional heteroskedasticity," CORE Discussion Papers 2006012, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc, BAUWENS & C.M., HAFNER & J.V.K., ROMBOUTS, 2006. "Multivariate mixed normal conditional heteroskedasticity," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006007, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003.
"Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns,"
Working Paper Series
0204, European Central Bank.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006. "Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Value at Risk by Quantile Regression," NBER Working Papers 7341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bauwens, Luc & Laurent, Sebastien, 2005.
"A New Class of Multivariate Skew Densities, With Application to Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 346-354, July.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, . "A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tom Doan, . "LOGMVSKEWT: RATS procedure to compute function for log density of multivariate skew-t distribution," Statistical Software Components RTS00107, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mihaela Şerban & Anthony Brockwell & John Lehoczky & Sanjay Srivastava, 2007. "Modelling the Dynamic Dependence Structure in Multivariate Financial Time Series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(5), pages 763-782, 09.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Sentana, Enrique, 1992. "Unobserved component time series models with Arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 129-157.
- Danielsson, Jon, 1998. "Multivariate stochastic volatility models: Estimation and a comparison with VGARCH models," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 155-173, June.
- Andrew J. Patton & Kevin Sheppard, 2008.
"Evaluating Volatility and Correlation Forecasts,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2008fe22, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:54:y:2010:i:11:p:2786-2800. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.