A comparison of the climate risks of cereal, citrus, grapevine and olive production in Spain
The landscape of the Mediterranean rural areas is shaped with crops that are well-adapted to semi-arid zones. In this paper we aim to understand the interactions between factors that impact agriculture and management interventions of agricultural systems - including cereal, citrus, olives and grapevine - with a special focus on climate risks. We use statistical models of yield response functions to address how temperature and precipitation variability affect the crops of a traditional Mediterranean farming system. While simple functions will never provide the level of detail possible with more complex models, the direct interpretation of the results by farmers and policy-makers may assist the risk management and decision-making process. Our results show that observed yield patterns contain substantial information on the relative importance of the climate and management variables for yield variability, responding to the critical need for knowledge on crop response to extreme precipitation and temperature events with implications for the risk management of agricultural systems. Our method was applied to address policy and management factors affecting the risk level of Mediterranean farming systems in Spain, such as the role of EU agricultural and environmental policy in yield output, as well as the risk management implications in drought conditions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lybbert, Travis J. & Just, David R., 2006.
"Is Risk Aversion Really Correlated with Wealth? How estimated probabilities introduce spurious correlation,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21167, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Travis J. Lybbert & David R. Just, 2007. "Is Risk Aversion Really Correlated with Wealth? How Estimated Probabilities Introduce Spurious Correlation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(4), pages 964-979.
- Guzmán, Gloria I. & Alonso, Antonio M., 2008. "A comparison of energy use in conventional and organic olive oil production in Spain," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 167-176, October.
- Hansen, J. W. & Jones, J. W., 2000. "Scaling-up crop models for climate variability applications," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 43-72, July.
- Hansen, James W., 2002. "Realizing the potential benefits of climate prediction to agriculture: issues, approaches, challenges," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 309-330, December.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Dixon, Bruce L. & Hollinger, Steven E. & Garcia, Philip & Tirupattur, Viswanath, 1994. "Estimating Corn Yield Response Models To Predict Impacts Of Climate Change," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Gorski, T. & Gorska, K., 2003. "The effects of scale on crop yield variability," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 425-434, December.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1982.
"Generalized Chow Tests for Structural Change: A Coordinate-Free Approach,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(3), pages 565-75, October.
- Dufour, J.M., 1981. "Generalized Chow Tests for Structural Change: a Coordinate-Free Approach," Cahiers de recherche 8128, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ignacio Palacios-Huerta, 2003.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Risk Properties of Human Capital Returns,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 948-964, June.
- Ignacio Palacios-Huerta, 2001. "An Empirical Analysis of the Risk Properties of Human Capital Returns," Working Papers 2001-10, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Lobell, David B. & Ortiz-Monasterio, J. Ivan & Falcon, Walter P., 2007. "Yield uncertainty at the field scale evaluated with multi-year satellite data," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 92(1-3), pages 76-90, January.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Kim, Kwansoo & Lauer, Joseph G. & Klemme, Richard M. & Bland, William L., 2001. "An Economic Analysis Of Corn Yield, Corn Profitability, And Risk At The Edge Of The Corn Belt," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:101:y:2009:i:1-2:p:91-100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.