Realizing the potential benefits of climate prediction to agriculture: issues, approaches, challenges
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Meinke, H. & Baethgen, W. E. & Carberry, P. S. & Donatelli, M. & Hammer, G. L. & Selvaraju, R. & Stockle, C. O., 2001. "Increasing profits and reducing risks in crop production using participatory systems simulation approaches," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 493-513.
- James W. Mjelde & Harvey S.J. Hill & John F. Griffiths, 1998. "A Review of Current Evidence on Climate Forecasts and Their Economic Effects in Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1089-1095.
- Hammer, G. L. & Hansen, J. W. & Phillips, J. G. & Mjelde, J. W. & Hill, H. & Love, A. & Potgieter, A., 2001. "Advances in application of climate prediction in agriculture," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 515-553.
- Thornton, P. K. & Herrero, M., 2001. "Integrated crop-livestock simulation models for scenario analysis and impact assessment," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 581-602.
- Everingham, Y. L. & Muchow, R. C. & Stone, R. C. & Inman-Bamber, N. G. & Singels, A. & Bezuidenhout, C. N., 2002. "Enhanced risk management and decision-making capability across the sugarcane industry value chain based on seasonal climate forecasts," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 459-477.
- Ingram, K. T. & Roncoli, M. C. & Kirshen, P. H., 2002. "Opportunities and constraints for farmers of west Africa to use seasonal precipitation forecasts with Burkina Faso as a case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 331-349.
- Messina, C. D. & Hansen, J. W. & Hall, A. J., 1999. "Land allocation conditioned on El Nino-Southern Oscillation phases in the Pampas of Argentina," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 197-212.
- Daniel McFadden, 1998. "Rationality for Economists?," Working Papers 98-09-086, Santa Fe Institute.
- Christopher B. Barrett, 1998. "The Value of Imperfect ENSO Forecast Information: Discussion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1109-1112.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1999. "Rationality for Economists?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 19(1-3), pages 73-105, December.
- James W. Mjelde & Troy N. Thompson & Clair J. Nixon, 1996. "Government Institutional Effects on the Value of Seasonal Climate Forecasts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 175-188.
- Podesta, Guillermo & Letson, David & Messina, Carlos & Royce, Fred & Ferreyra, R. Andres & Jones, James & Hansen, James & Llovet, Ignacio & Grondona, Martin & O'Brien, James J., 2002. "Use of ENSO-related climate information in agricultural decision making in Argentina: a pilot experience," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 371-392.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Choi, Hyung Sik & Schneider, Uwe A. & Rasche, Livia & Cui, Junbo & Schmid, Erwin & Held, Hermann, 2015. "Potential effects of perfect seasonal climate forecasting on agricultural markets, welfare and land use: A case study of Spain," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 177-189.
- Osgood, Daniel E. & Suarez, Pablo & Hansen, James & Carriquiry, Miguel & Mishra, Ashok, 2008. "Integrating seasonal forecasts and insurance for adaptation among subsistence farmers : the case of Malawi," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4651, The World Bank.
- Quiroga, Sonia & Iglesias, Ana, 2009. "A comparison of the climate risks of cereal, citrus, grapevine and olive production in Spain," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 101(1-2), pages 91-100, June.
- Jesse B. Tack & David Ubilava, 2015.
"Climate and agricultural risk: measuring the effect of ENSO on U.S. crop insurance,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, pages 245-257.
- Tack, Jesse B. & Ubilava, David, 2013. "El Ni˜no Southern Oscillation Impacts on Crop Insurance," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151429, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Cabrera, Victor E. & Letson, David & Podesta, Guillermo, 2007. "The value of climate information when farm programs matter," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 93(1-3), pages 25-42, March.
- Gadgil, Sulochana & Seshagiri Rao, P. R. & Narahari Rao, K., 2002. "Use of climate information for farm-level decision making: rainfed groundnut in southern India," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 431-457.
- McCown, R.L. & Carberry, P.S. & Dalgliesh, N.P. & Foale, M.A. & Hochman, Z., 2012. "Farmers use intuition to reinvent analytic decision support for managing seasonal climatic variability," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 33-45.
- Capa-Morocho, Mirian & Ines, Amor V.M. & Baethgen, Walter E. & Rodríguez-Fonseca, Belén & Han, Eunjin & Ruiz-Ramos, Margarita, 2016.
"Crop yield outlooks in the Iberian Peninsula: Connecting seasonal climate forecasts with crop simulation models,"
Elsevier, pages 75-87.
- Temoso, Omphile & Hadley, David & Villano, Renato, 2016. "Evaluating the productivity gap between commercial and traditional beef production systems in Botswana," 2016 Conference (60th), February 2-5, 2016, Canberra, Australia 235522, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Nihal Ata Tutkun & Gamze Özel, 2016. "Assessing the influence of climate change characteristics on the rainfall duration of Turkey," Natural Hazards: Journal of the International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, Springer;International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, vol. 84(3), pages 2265-2277, December.
- Bert, Federico E. & Satorre, Emilio H. & Toranzo, Fernando Ruiz & Podesta, Guillermo P., 2006. "Climatic information and decision-making in maize crop production systems of the Argentinean Pampas," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 88(2-3), pages 180-204, June.
- Nidumolu, U.B. & Lubbers, M. & Kanellopoulos, A. & van Ittersum, M.K. & Kadiyala, D.M. & Sreenivas, G., 2016. "Engaging farmers on climate risk through targeted integration of bio-economic modelling and seasonal climate forecasts," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 175-184.
- Silva, Vicente de P.R. & Campos, João H.B.C. & Silva, Madson T. & Azevedo, Pedro V., 2010. "Impact of global warming on cowpea bean cultivation in northeastern Brazil," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(11), pages 1760-1768, November.
- de Guzman, Rosalina G. & Hilario, Flaviana & Ortega, Daisy & Hayman, Peter & Alexander, Bronya, 2010. "El Nino Southern Oscillation in the Philippines: Impacts, Forecasts, and Risk Management," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2009 Vol. XXXVI No. 1, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Pandey, Sushil & Bhandari, Humnath & Ding, Shijun & Prapertchob, Preeda & Sharan, Ramesh & Naik, Dibakar & Taunk, Sudhir K. & Sastri, Asras, 2006. "Coping with Drought in Rice Farming in Asia: Insights from a Cross-Country Comparative Study," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25553, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Brown, Casey & Rogers, Peter & Lall, Upmanu, 2006. "Demand management of groundwater with monsoon forecasting," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 90(1-3), pages 293-311, October.
- Miguel A. Carriquiry & Walter E. Baethgen, 2016. "Seasonal Climate Forecasts and Agricultural Risk Management: Implications for Insurance Design," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 16-03, Instituto de Economía - IECON.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:74:y:2002:i:3:p:309-330. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agsy .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.