Poverty alleviation in Mozambique: a multi-market analysis of the role of food aid
The use of food aid in poverty alleviation programs has been hampered by two problems: the inability to target to touseholds in need, and the disincentive effects on agriculture. In this paper, we present econometric estimates of m Almost Ideal Demand System (AIDS) for households in Maputo, Mozambique, and develop a multi-market node! to show that in Maputo, imported yellow maize is not only self-targeting, but that owing to a combination of he low cross-price elasticity with locally produced staples (particularly, white maize) and cross-border trade in food >roducts, the disincentive effects on domestic agriculture have been negligible.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-371, July.
- Green, Reginald Herbold, 1992. "Southern Africa: that the people may be fed," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 455-464, December.
- Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1986. "A methodology for measuring food poverty applied to Kenya," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 59-74, November.
- Ravallion, Martin & Bidani, Benu, 1994.
"How Robust Is a Poverty Profile?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 8(1), pages 75-102, January.
- Ravallion, Martin & Bidani, Benu, 1993. "How robust is a poverty profile?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1223, The World Bank.
- Paul, Satya, 1989. "A model of constructing the poverty line," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 129-144, January.
- Alderman, Harold & Sahn, David E. & Arulpragasam, Jehan, 1991. "Food subsidies and exchange rate distortions in Mozambique," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 395-404, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)