A Unique Informationally Efficient and Decentralized Mechanism with Fair Outcomes
It is shown that any informationally decentralized mechanism that realizes fair allocations over the class of classical pure exchange environments has a message space of dimension no smaller than the number of agents times the number of commodities. Since the equal income Walrasian mechanism, in which all agents take prices parametrically and maximize utility subject to the average income constraint, realizes fair outcomes over the class of classical pure exchange environments and has a message space of that dimension, it is informationally efficient. Further, it is shown that it is the unique informationally efficient mechanism realizing fair allocations. Copyright 1993 by The Econometric Society.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 61 (1993)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.econometricsociety.org/publications/econometrica/access/ordering-back-issues Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1990.
"The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521388702, August.
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1985. "The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521265140, October.
- Calsamiglia, Xavier, 1977. "Decentralized resource allocation and increasing returns," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 263-283, April.
- Schmeidler, David & Vind, Karl, 1972. "Fair Net Trades," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 637-642, July.
- SCHMEIDLER, David & VIND, Karl, "undated". "Fair net trades," CORE Discussion Papers RP 131, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mount, Kenneth & Reiter, Stanley, 1974. "The informational size of message spaces," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 161-192, June.
- Kenneth Mount & Stanley Reiter, 1973. "The Informational Size of Message Spaces," Discussion Papers 3, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Reichelstein, Stefan, 1984. "Incentive compatibility and informational requirements," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 32-51, October.
- Leonid Hurwicz & Mukul Majumdar, 2015. "Optimal lntertemporal Allocation Mechanisms and Decentralization of Decisions," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Decentralization in Infinite Horizon Economies, chapter 2, pages 12-45 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Hurwicz, Leonid & Majumdar, Mukul, 1988. "Optimal intertemporal allocation mechanisms and decentralization of decisions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 228-261, August.
- Peter J. Hammond, 1979. "Straightforward Individual Incentive Compatibility in Large Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(2), pages 263-282.
- Chander, Parkash, 1983. "On the informational efficiency of the competitive resource allocation process," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 54-67, October.
- Dasgupta, Swapan & Mitra, Tapan, 1988. "Characterization of intertemporal optimality in terms of decentralizable conditions: The discounted case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 274-287, August.
- Calsamiglia, Xavier, 1982. "On the size of the message space under non-convexities," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2-3), pages 197-203, September.
- Elisha A. Pazner & David Schmeidler, 1974. "A Difficulty in the Concept of Fairness," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(3), pages 441-443.
- Chander, Parkash, 1983. "On the Informational Size of Message Spaces for Efficient Resource Allocation Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 919-938, July.
- Stefan Reichelstein & Stanley Reiter, 1985. "Game Forms with Minimal Strategy Spaces," Discussion Papers 663, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Champsaur, Paul & Laroque, Guy, 1981. "Fair allocations in large economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 269-282, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)