Asymptotically Strategy-Proof Walrasian Exchange
February 1998 In smooth exchange economies with a continuum of agents, any Walrasian mechanism is Pareto efficient, individually rational, anonymous, and strategy-proof. Barberà and Jackson's (1995) results imply that no such efficient mechanism is the limit of resource-balanced, individually rational, anonymous and non-bossy strategy-proof allocation mechanisms for an expanding sequence of finite economies. For a broad class of smooth random exchange economies, relaxing anonymity and non-bossiness admits mechanisms which, as the economy becomes infinitely large, are asymptotically Walrasian for all except one ``balancing'' agent, while being manipulable with generically vanishing probability. Also considered are some extensions to non-Walrasian mechanisms. JEL classification: D82, D61, D5 Keywords: strategy-proofness, mechanism design, random economies, Walrasian equilibrium.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www-econ.stanford.edu/econ/workp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:90:y:1976:i:4:p:630-49 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:oup:restud:v:60:y:1993:i:3:p:613-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dierker, Egbert, 1993. "Regular economies," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 795-830 Elsevier.
- Champsaur, Paul & Laroque, Guy, 1981. "Fair allocations in large economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 269-282, October.
- Mitsui, Toshihide, 1983. "Asymptotic efficiency of the pivotal mechanism with general project space," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 318-331, December.
- repec:oup:restud:v:46:y:1979:i:2:p:263-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wilson, Robert B, 1978. "Competitive Exchange," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 577-85, May.
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Manelli, Alejandro M., 1997. "Approximately Competitive Equilibria in Large Finite Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 354-376, December.
- Rob, Rafael, 1982. "Asymptotic efficiency of the demand revealing mechanism," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 207-220, December.
- Roberts, Donald John & Postlewaite, Andrew, 1976. "The Incentives for Price-Taking Behavior in Large Exchange Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 115-27, January.
- repec:oup:restud:v:38:y:1971:i:114:p:175-208 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anderson, Robert M., 1992. "The core in perfectly competitive economies," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 413-457 Elsevier.
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1985.
"The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521265140.
- repec:oup:restud:v:49:y:1982:i:4:p:627-35 is not listed on IDEAS
- Salvador Barbera & Matthew O. Jackson, 1993.
1021, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Back, Kerry, 1986. "Concepts of similarity for utility functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 129-142, April.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Kovalenkov, Alexander, 2002. "Simple Strategy-Proof Approximately Walrasian Mechanisms," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 475-487, April.
- Weller, Paul A., 1982. "The speed of convergence of prices in random exchange economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 71-81, October.
- Egbert Dierker & Hans Haller, 1990. "Tax systems and direct mechanisms in large finite economies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 99-116, June.
- Bhattacharya, Rabindra Nath & Majumdar, Mukul, 1973. "Random exchange economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 37-67, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:stanec:98005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.