Migration and unemployment duration in OECD countries: A dynamic panel analysis
This paper examines whether immigration has a positive influence on the duration of unemployment from a macroeconomic perspective. The integration of immigrants into the labor market is a recurrent topic in literature on the economic consequences of immigration, and it is a central concern to policy makers. However, to our knowledge, few researchers have studied the impact of immigration on the duration of unemployment. By using panel estimations (OLS and GMM), we show that migration seems to influence short–term unemployment positively and long-term unemployment negatively for 14 OECD destination countries.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Nickell, 1979.
"A Picture of Male Unemployment in Britain,"
503, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Joseph Altonji & David Card, 1989.
"The Effects of Immigration on the Labor Market Outcome of Less-Skilled Natives,"
636, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Joseph G. Altonji & David Card, 1991. "The Effects of Immigration on the Labor Market Outcomes of Less-skilled Natives," NBER Chapters, in: Immigration, Trade, and the Labor Market, pages 201-234 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lachenmaier, Stefan & Rottmann, Horst, 2011.
"Effects of innovation on employment: A dynamic panel analysis,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 210-220, March.
- Stefan Lachenmaier & Horst Rottmann, 2007. "Effects of Innovation on Employment: A Dynamic Panel Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2015, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christian Dustmann & Albrecht Glitz & Tommaso Frattini, 2008.
"The labour market impact of immigration,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 24(3), pages 478-495, Autumn.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 1996.
"Immigration, Trade, and Austrian Unemployment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1346, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zweimuller, Joseph & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1995. "Immigration, Trade and Austrian Unemployment," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt8cp8c6hf, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Jean, Sébastien & Jiménez, Miguel, 2011.
"The unemployment impact of immigration in OECD countries,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 241-256, June.
- Sébastien Jean & Miguel Jiménez, 2011. "The unemployment impact of immigration in OECD countries," Post-Print hal-01000444, HAL.
- Sébastien Jean & Miguel Jimenez, 2007. "The Unemployment Impact of Immigration in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 563, OECD Publishing.
- Brücker, Herbert & Siliverstovs, Boriss, 2005.
"On the Estimation and Forecasting of International Migration: How Relevant Is Heterogeneity Across Countries?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1710, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Herbert Brücker & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2006. "On the estimation and forecasting of international migration: how relevant is heterogeneity across countries?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 735-754, September.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998.
"Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Michael D. Bordo & Claudia Goldin & Eugene N. White, 1998. "The Defining Moment: The Great Depression and the American Economy in the Twentieth Century," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bord98-1, July.
- John M. Abowd & Richard B. Freeman, 1991. "Immigration, Trade, and the Labor Market," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number abow91-1, July.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Giovanna Vallanti, 2007.
"The Impact Of Tfp Growth On Steady-State Unemployment,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(2), pages 607-640, 05.
- Pissarides, Christopher & Vallanti, Giovanna, 2005. "The Impact of TFP Growth on Steady-State Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 5002, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Dominique Gross, 2002. "Three million foreigners, three million unemployed? Immigration flows and the labour market in France," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(16), pages 1969-1983.
- S. Longhi & P. Nijkamp & J. Poot, 2010. "Joint impacts of immigration on wages and employment: review and meta-analysis," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 355-387, December.
- Melanie Arntz & Ralf Wilke, 2009.
"Unemployment Duration in Germany: Individual and Regional Determinants of Local Job Finding, Migration and Subsidized Employment,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(1), pages 43-61.
- Arntz, Melanie & Wilke, Ralf A., 2006. "Unemployment duration in Germany: individual and regional determinants of local job finding, migration and subsidized employment," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-92, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Chinhui Juhn & Kevin M. Murphy & Robert H. Topel, 1991. "Why Has the Natural Rate of Unemployment Increased over Time?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 75-142.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- O. Damette & V. Fromentin, 2013. "Migration and labour markets in OECD countries: a panel cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(16), pages 2295-2304, June.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Daniel Aaronson & Bhashkar Mazumder & Shani Schechter, 2010. "What is behind the rise in long-term unemployment?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 28-51.
- Baltagi, B.H., 2005. "Solutions to Problems Posed in Volume 20(1) and 20(2): 04.1.1. A Hausman Test Based on the Difference between Fixed Effects Two-Stage Least Squares and Error Components Two-Stage Least Squares Solutio," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 483-484, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00868. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.