Business cycle synchronisation at the regional level: evidence for the Portuguese regions
This paper looks at the synchronisation of product per capita in Portuguese regions at a disaggregated level over the period 1988-2010. Furthermore, it examines the volatility of the regional cycles by calculating dispersion measures. As a whole, results indicate that in Portugal, despite the geographical proximity of regions, there are substantial regional asymmetries in the amplitude and degree of association of regional business cycles. The discrepancy in the dynamics of the average correlations of the NUTSIII cycle with the regional (NUTSII) and national cycles supports the existence of a regional border effect.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Todd E. Clark & Eric Van Wincoop, 1999.
"Borders and business cycles,"
Research Working Paper
99-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Jakob de Haan & Robert Inklaar & Richard Jong-A-Pin, 2008.
"Will Business Cycles In The Euro Area Converge? A Critical Survey Of Empirical Research,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 234-273, 04.
- Haan, Jakob de & Inklaar, Robert & Jong-A-Pin, Richard, 2005. "Will business cycles in the Euro Area converge : a critical survey of empirical research," CCSO Working Papers 200508, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Domenico Giannone & Michele Lenza & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008.
"Business Cycles in the Euro Area,"
NBER Working Papers
14529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2009. "Business Cycles in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 7124, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008. "Business Cycles in the euro Area," Working Papers ECARES 2008_040, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2001.
"On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
479, CESifo Group Munich.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S. & Ravn, M., 1997. "On Adjusting the H-P Filter for the Frequency of Observations," Discussion Paper 1997-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ravn, Morten O & Uhlig, Harald, 2001. "On Adjusting the HP-Filter for the Frequency of Observations," CEPR Discussion Papers 2858, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Enrico Marelli, 2007. "Specialisation and Convergence in European Regions," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 4(2), pages 149-178, September.
- Salvador Barrios & Juan Jose Lucio, 2003.
"Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian Regions,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 497-515, 09.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & de LUCIO, Juan JosÃ©, 2002. "Economic integration and regional business cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions," CORE Discussion Papers 2002073, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BARRIOS, Salvador & DE LUCIO, Juan JosÃ©, . "Economic integration and regional business cycles: evidence from the Iberian regions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1655, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michael Artis & Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin, 2009.
"Common and Spatial Drivers in Regional Business Cycles,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0022, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Michael Artis & Christian Dreger & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2009. "Common and Spatial Drivers in Regional Business Cycles," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 859, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Artis, Michael J & Dreger, Christian & Kholodilin, Konstantin, 2009. "Common and Spatial Drivers in Regional Business Cycles," CEPR Discussion Papers 7206, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Artis & Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilin, 2009. "Common and spatial drivers in regional business cycles," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 118, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Michael Artis & Christian Dreger & Konstantin Kholodilinf, 2009. "Common and spatial drivers in regional business cycles," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33213, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995.
"Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series,"
NBER Working Papers
5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999. "Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Canova, Fabio, 1993.
"Detrending and Business Cycle Facts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
782, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sofia Gouveia & Leonida Correia, 2008. "Business cycle synchronisation in the Euro area: the case of small countries," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 103-121, July.
- Canova, Fabio, 1998. "Detrending and business cycle facts: A user's guide," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 533-540, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:eerese:v:13:y2013:i:1_8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.