CONSEQUENCES OF DEBT RELIEF INITIATIVES IN THE 1990s
In this paper I investigate the effects of recent debt relief initiatives on resource flows to low-income developing countries. For countries that are part of the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) initiative, I find that good macroeconomic management does not influence the level of resource and foreign aid receipts. Furthermore, my estimates suggest HIPC countries receive higher net transfers than non-HIPC countries in the 1990s with the differences declining after 1996. Confirming findings in the earlier literature, my results suggest that aid flows have not changed significantly in response to debt relief.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Easterly, 2003. "Can Foreign Aid Buy Growth?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 23-48, Summer.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999.
"The Search for the Key: Aid, Investment and Policies in Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 546-77, December.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999. "The search for the key : aid, investment, and policies in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2070, The World Bank.
- BERLAGE, Lode & CASSIMON, Danny & DRÈZE, Jacques & REDING, Paul, 2000.
"Prospective aid and indebtedness relief: A proposal,"
2000012, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- berlage, Lodewijk & cassimon, Danny & dreze, Jacques & Reding, Paul, 2003. "Prospective Aid and Indebtedness Relief: A Proposal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1635-1654, October.
- BERLAGE, Lode & CASSIMON, Danny & DREZE, Jacques & REDING, Paul, 2000. "Prospective aid and indebtedness relief: a proposal," CORE Discussion Papers 2000032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BERLAGE, Lodewijk & CASSIMON, Danny & DRÈZE, Jacques & REDING, Paul, . "Prospective aid and indebtedness relief: a proposal," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1660, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Easterly, William, 1999. "How did highly indebted poor countries become highly indebted? : reviewing two decades of debt relief," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2225, The World Bank.
- repec:cor:louvrp:-1660 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tito Cordella & Giovanni Dell'Aricca, 2002.
"Limits of Conditionality in Poverty Reduction Programs,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(Special i), pages 68-86.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Tito Cordella, 2002. "Limits of Conditionality in Poverty Reduction Programs," IMF Working Papers 02/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Danny Cassimon & Stijn Claessens & Bjorn Van Campenhout, 2007.
"Empirical Evidence on the New International Aid Architecture,"
IMF Working Papers
07/277, International Monetary Fund.
- Stijn Claessens & Danny Cassimon, 2007. "Empirical evidence on the new international aid architecture," WEF Working Papers 0026, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
- Cassimon, Danny & Claessens, Stijn & Campenhout, Bjorn van, 2007. "Empirical Evidence on the New International Aid Architecture," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 2, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiele, Rainer, 2006.
"Targeting aid to the needy and deserving : nothing but promises?,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
3875, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2006. "Targeting Aid to the Needy and Deserving: Nothing But Promises?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(9), pages 1177-1201, 09.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Canavire-Bacarreza, Gustavo & Triveño, Luis, 2004. "Targeting aid to the needy and deserving : nothing but promises?," Kiel Working Papers 1229, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Gustavo Canavire & Luis Triveño, 2004. "Targeting Aid to the Needy and Deserving: Nothing But Promises?," Kiel Working Papers 1229, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Maizels, Alfred & Nissanke, Machiko K., 1984. "Motivations for aid to developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(9), pages 879-900, September.
- Nicolas Depetris Chauvin & Aart Kraay, 2007.
"Who Gets Debt Relief?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 5(2-3), pages 333-342, 04-05.
- Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Jacky AMPROU, 2005.
"Aid Selectivity According to Augmented Criteria,"
- Patrick Guillaumont & Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Jacky Amprou, 2011. "Aid Selectivity According to Augmented Criteria," Working Papers halshs-00562658, HAL.
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Jacky AMPROU, 2006. "Aid Selectivity According to Augmented Criteria," Working Papers 200616, CERDI.
- Ralf Hepp, 2005.
"Consequences of Debt Relief Initiatives in the 1990s,"
- HEPP, Ralf, 2010. "CONSEQUENCES OF DEBT RELIEF INITIATIVES IN THE 1990s," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(1).
- Boone, Peter, 1996. "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 289-329, February.
- Silvia Marchesi & Alessandro Missale, 2004.
"What does motivate lending and aid to the HIPCs?,"
Development Working Papers
189, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- William Easterly & Ross Levine, 1997.
"Africa's Growth Tragedy: Policies and Ethnic Divisions,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1203-1250.
- Easterly, W & Levine, R, 1996. "Africa's Growth Tragedy : Policies and Ethnic Divisions," Papers 536, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Daniel Cohen, 2000.
"The HIPC Initiative: True and False Promises,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
166, OECD Publishing.
- Chang, Charles C. & Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Serven, Luis, 1999.
"Measuring aid flows : a new approach,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2050, The World Bank.
- Charles C. Chang & Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Luis Servén, 1998. "Measuring Aid Flows: A New Approach," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6447, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Charles C. Chang & Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Luis Serven, 1998. "Measuring Aid Flows: A New Approach," Research Department Publications 4146, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Renard, Robrecht & Cassimon, Danny, 2001. "On the Pitfalls of Measuring Aid," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Christina Daseking & Robert Powell, 1999. "From Toronto Terms to the HIPC Initiative; A Brief History of Debt Relief for Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 99/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Alesina, Alberto & Weder, Beatrice, 2002.
"Do Corrupt Governments Receive Less Foreign Aid?,"
4553011, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Howard White & Tony Killick & Steve Kayizzi-Mugerwa & Marie-Angelique Savane, 2001. "African Poverty at the Millennium : Causes, Complexities, and Challenges," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13866, February.
- Tito Cordella & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2003. "Budget Support Versus Project Aid," IMF Working Papers 03/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2004.
"Bilateral donors' aid allocation decisions--a three-dimensional panel analysis,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 253-274.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2002. "Bilateral Donors' Aid Allocation Decisions: A Three-dimensional Panel Analysis," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Coate, Stephen, 1995. "Altruism, the Samaritan's Dilemma, and Government Transfer Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 46-57, March.
- Dollar, David & Levin, Victoria, 2004. "Increasing selectivity of foreign aid, 1984-2002," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3299, The World Bank.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
NBER Working Papers
6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Robert Powell, 2003. "Debt Relief, Additionality, and Aid Allocation in Low Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 03/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Nicolas Depetris Chauvin & Aart Kraay, 2005. "What Has 100 Billion Dollars Worth of Debt Relief Done for Low- Income Countries?," International Finance 0510001, EconWPA.
- Krugman, Paul, 1988.
"Financing vs. forgiving a debt overhang,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 253-268, November.
- Kamau Thugge & Anthony R. Boote, 1997. "Debt Relief for Low-Income Countries and the HIPC Initiative," IMF Working Papers 97/24, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:10:y:2010:i:1_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.