CONSEQUENCES OF DEBT RELIEF INITIATIVES IN THE 1990s
In this paper I investigate the effects of recent debt relief initiatives on resource flows to low-income developing countries. For countries that are part of the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) initiative, I find that good macroeconomic management does not influence the level of resource and foreign aid receipts. Furthermore, my estimates suggest HIPC countries receive higher net transfers than non-HIPC countries in the 1990s with the differences declining after 1996. Confirming findings in the earlier literature, my results suggest that aid flows have not changed significantly in response to debt relief.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burnside, Craig & Dollar, David, 1997.
"Aid, policies, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1777, The World Bank.
- Tito Cordella & Giovanni Dell'Aricca, 2002.
"Limits of Conditionality in Poverty Reduction Programs,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(Special i), pages 68-86.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Tito Cordella, 2002. "Limits of Conditionality in Poverty Reduction Programs," IMF Working Papers 02/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert Powell, 2003. "Debt Relief, Additionality, and Aid Allocation in Low Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 03/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Gustavo Canavire & Luis Triveño, 2004.
"Targeting Aid to the Needy and Deserving: Nothing But Promises?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1229, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2006. "Targeting Aid to the Needy and Deserving: Nothing But Promises?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(9), pages 1177-1201, 09.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Thiele, Rainer, 2006. "Targeting aid to the needy and deserving : nothing but promises?," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3875, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Alberto Alesina & Beatrice Weder, 1999.
"Do Corrupt Governments Receive Less Foreign Aid?,"
NBER Working Papers
7108, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2002.
"Bilateral Donors' Aid Allocation Decisions: A Three-dimensional Panel Analysis,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2004. "Bilateral donors' aid allocation decisions--a three-dimensional panel analysis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 253-274.
- Coate, Stephen, 1995. "Altruism, the Samaritan's Dilemma, and Government Transfer Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 46-57, March.
- Charles C. Chang & Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Luis Servén, 1998.
"Measuring Aid Flows: A New Approach,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6447, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Chang, Charles C. & Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & Serven, Luis, 1999. "Measuring aid flows : a new approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2050, The World Bank.
- Charles C. Chang & Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Luis Serven, 1998. "Measuring Aid Flows: A New Approach," Research Department Publications 4146, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Chauvin, Nicolas Depetris & Kraay, Aart, 2006.
"Who gets debt relief ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4000, The World Bank.
- Dollar, David & Levin, Victoria, 2004. "Increasing selectivity of foreign aid, 1984-2002," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3299, The World Bank.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999.
"The Search for the Key: Aid, Investment and Policies in Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 546-77, December.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999. "The search for the key : aid, investment, and policies in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2070, The World Bank.
- Daniel Cohen, 2000.
"The HIPC Initiative: True and False Promises,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
166, OECD Publishing.
- Alessandro Missale & Silvia Marchesi, 2004.
"What does motivate lending and aid to the HIPCs?,"
- Krugman, Paul, 1988.
"Financing vs. forgiving a debt overhang,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 253-268, November.
- Patrick Guillaumont & Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney & Jacky Amprou, 2011. "Aid Selectivity According to Augmented Criteria," Working Papers halshs-00562658, HAL.
- Easterly, William & Levine, Ross, 1997.
"Africa's Growth Tragedy: Policies and Ethnic Divisions,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1203-50, November.
- Easterly, W & Levine, R, 1996. "Africa's Growth Tragedy : Policies and Ethnic Divisions," Papers 536, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Danny Cassimon & Stijn Claessens & Bjorn Van Campenhout, 2007.
"Empirical Evidenceon the New International Aid Architecture,"
IMF Working Papers
07/277, International Monetary Fund.
- Stijn Claessens & Danny Cassimon, 2007. "Empirical evidence on the new international aid architecture," WEF Working Papers 0026, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
- Cassimon, Danny & Claessens, Stijn & Campenhout, Bjorn van, 2007. "Empirical Evidence on the New International Aid Architecture," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 2, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Boone, Peter, 1996. "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 289-329, February.
- Alesina, Alberto & Dollar, David, 2000.
" Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," NBER Working Papers 6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Scholarly Articles 4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ralf Hepp, 2005.
"Consequences of Debt Relief Initiatives in the 1990s,"
- HEPP, Ralf, 2010. "CONSEQUENCES OF DEBT RELIEF INITIATIVES IN THE 1990s," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(1).
- Tito Cordella & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2003. "Budget Support Versus Project Aid," IMF Working Papers 03/88, International Monetary Fund.
- William Easterly, 2003. "Can Foreign Aid Buy Growth?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 23-48, Summer.
- Christina Daseking & Robert Powell, 1999. "From toronto Terms to the HIPC Initiative; A Brief History of Debt Relief for Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 99/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Easterly, William, 1999. "How did highly indebted poor countries become highly indebted? : reviewing two decades of debt relief," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2225, The World Bank.
- Maizels, Alfred & Nissanke, Machiko K., 1984. "Motivations for aid to developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(9), pages 879-900, September.
- Nicolas Depetris Chauvin & Aart Kraay, 2005. "What Has 100 Billion Dollars Worth of Debt Relief Done for Low- Income Countries?," International Finance 0510001, EconWPA.
- Kamau Thugge & Anthony R. Boote, 1997. "Debt Relief for Low-Income Countries and the HIPC Initiative," IMF Working Papers 97/24, International Monetary Fund.
- Howard White & Tony Killick & Steve Kayizzi-Mugerwa & Marie-Angelique Savane, 2001. "African Poverty at the Millennium : Causes, Complexities, and Challenges," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13866, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:10:y:2010:i:1_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.