Statistical inference for testing Gini Coefficients: An application for Colombia
This paper uses Colombian household survey data collected over the 1984-2005 period to estimateGini coefficients and their corresponding standard errors. We find a statistically significant increase in wage income inequality following the adoption of the liberalization measures during the early 1990s,and mixed evidence from the recovery years that followed the economic recession during the late1990s. We also find that in several cases the observed differences in the Gini coefficients acrosscities have not been statistically significant.
Volume (Year): 28 (2010)
Issue (Month): 62 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés Felipe García & Carlos Esteban Posada, .
"La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
410, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Arango Luis Eduardo & Andrés Felipe Garcia & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2008. "La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE, May.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés Felipe García & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2006. "La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003039, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Cunningham, Wendy & Jacobsen, Joyce P., 2008. "Earnings inequality within and across gender, racial, and ethnic groups in four Latin American Countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4591, The World Bank.
- Baer, Werner & Maloney, William, 1997. "Neoliberalism and income distribution in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 311-327, March.
- Davidson, Russell, 2009.
"Reliable inference for the Gini index,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 30-40, May.
- Javier A. Birchenall, 2007. "Income distribution and macroeconomics in Colombia," Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 16(2), pages 6-24, June.
- Birchenall, Javier A., 2001. "Income distribution, human capital and economic growth in Colombia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 271-287, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000107:009431. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.