Advertising and Restrictions in the Cigarette Industry: Evidence of State-by-State Variation
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Baltagi, Badi H & Levin, Dan, 1986. "Estimating Dynamic Demand for Cigarettes Using Panel Data: The Effects of Bootlegging, Taxation and Advertising Reconsidered," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 148-155, February.
- Eckard, E Woodrow, Jr, 1991. "Competition and the Cigarette TV Advertising Ban," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(1), pages 119-133, January.
- Seldon, Barry J & Doroodian, Khosrow, 1989. "A Simultaneous Model of Cigarette Advertising: Effects on Demand and Industry Response to Public Policy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 673-677, November.
- Porter, Michael E, 1976. "Interbrand Choice, Media Mix and Market Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 398-406, May.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Henry Saffer, 1992. "Clean Indoor Air Laws And The Demand For Cigarettes," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 10(2), pages 72-83, April.
- Hamilton, James L, 1972. "The Demand for Cigarettes: Advertising, the Health Scare, and the Cigarette Advertising Ban," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(4), pages 401-411, November.
- Boyd, Roy & Seldon, Barry J., 1990. "The fleeting effect of advertising : Empirical evidence from a case study," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 375-379, December.
- Keeler, Theodore E. & Hu, Teh-wei & Barnett, Paul G. & Manning, Willard G. & Sung, Hai-Yen, 1996. "Do cigarette producers price-discriminate by state? An empirical analysis of local cigarette pricing and taxation," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 499-512, August.
- Carlos Arnade & Daniel Pick & Munisamy Gopinath, 1998. "Testing oligopoly power in domestic and export markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(6), pages 753-760.
- Seldon, Barry J. & Jewell, R. Todd & O'Brien, Daniel M., 2000. "Media substitution and economies of scale in advertising," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(8), pages 1153-1180, December.
- Stephen Farr & Carol Horton Tremblay & Victor Tremblay, 2001. "The Welfare Effect of Advertising Restrictions in the U.S. Cigarette Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 18(2), pages 147-160, March.
- Barnett, Paul G. & Keeler, Theodore E. & Hu, Teh-wei, 1995. "Oligopoly structure and the incidence of cigarette excise taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 457-470, July.
- Victor J. Tremblay & Kumiko Okuyama, 2001. "Advertising Restrictions, Competition, And Alcohol Consumption," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(3), pages 313-321, July.
- Craig A. Gallet, 1999. "The effect of the 1971 advertising ban on behavior in the cigarette industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 299-303.
- David Genesove & Wallace P. Mullin, 1998. "Testing Static Oligopoly Models: Conduct and Cost in the Sugar Industry, 1890-1914," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(2), pages 355-377, Summer.
- Clement G. Krouse, 1998. "Measuring Monopoly Power, Revisited," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 13(6), pages 687-696, December.
- Gary W. Brester & Ted C. Schroeder, 1995. "The Impacts of Brand and Generic Advertising on Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(4), pages 969-979.
- Carol Horton Tremblay & Victor J. Tremblay, 1995. "The Impact Of Cigarette Advertising On Consumer Surplus, Profit, And Social Welfare," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(1), pages 113-124, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Cohen & Rui Huang, 2012. "Corporate Social Responsibility for Kids’ Sake: A Dynamic Model of Firm Participation," Working Papers 12, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Gallet, Craig A., 2007.
"The demand for alcohol: a meta-analysis of elasticities,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Craig A. Gallet, 2007. "The demand for alcohol: a meta-analysis of elasticities," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), pages 121-135, June.
- Rossitza B. Wooster & Craig A. Gallet, 2005. "Settling the Smoke: Public Policy and Shareholder Wealth in the Cigarette Industry," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(2), pages 211-223, April.
- Goel, Rajeev K., 2012. "Effect of generic cigarettes on US cigarette demand and smuggling," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 114-117.
- Deliana Kostova & Evan Blecher, 2013. "Does Advertising Matter? Estimating The Impact Of Cigarette Advertising On Smoking Among Youth In Developing Countries," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(3), pages 537-548, July.
- Michael Cohen & Rui Huang & Chen Zhu, 2012. "The Use of Voluntary Marketing Initiatives to Improve the Nutritional Profile of Kids Cereals," Working Papers 11, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Rajeev Goel & Michael Nelson, 2012. "Cigarette demand and effectiveness of U.S. smoking control policies: state-level evidence for more than half a century," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 1079-1095, June.
More about this item
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:coecpo:v:21:y:2003:i:3:p:338-348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/weaaaea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.