The Impact of the Workforce Investment Act on Technical School and Community College Enrollment in Louisiana
Rural Louisiana has many of the same problems as other rural states: population decline, unemployment, poverty. At the same time, Louisiana has an extensive array of community colleges, universities and technical schools through which workers can get an education. Workforce development â€“ employee training, linking schools and employers, curriculum to match desired skills â€“ has emerged as a popular tool for rural economic growth. Critics say that the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) and welfare reform have made training for the un-employed and economically disadvantaged more difficult to acquire and more difficult to provide. Enrollment data at community and technical colleges shows that may not be true for Louisiana. This study examines the impact of WIA legislation on enrollment at technical and community colleges in Louisiana.
Volume (Year): 40 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://jrap-journal.org/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas J. Kane & Cecilia Elena Rouse, 1999. "The Community College: Educating Students at the Margin between College and Work," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 63-84, Winter.
- David B. Muhlhausen, 2005. "Do Jobs Programs Work?: A Review Article," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 26(2), pages 299-321, January.
- Randall W. Eberts, 2005. "After the doors close: assisting laid-off workers to find jobs," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 75-85.
- H.N.S. Karunatilake, 2005. "Review Article," South Asia Economic Journal, Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka, vol. 6(1), pages 131-138, March.
- Robert J. LaLonde, 1995. "The Promise of Public Sector-Sponsored Training Programs," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 149-168, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jrapmc:132452. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.