Crop Supply Response under Risk: Impacts of Emerging Issues on Southeastern U.S. Agriculture
In this paper we consider factors that affect both crop prices and yields in order to examine supply responses of major crops in the Southeast. Due to the variable nature of crop production in the Southeast, previous studies that ignore price and yield risk may fail to capture one of the salient features of the regionâ€™s agriculture. Our results indicate supply elasticity values for corn, cotton, and soybeans of approximately 0.670, 0.506, and 0.195, respectively. Compared with the results of studies in other regions, corn and cotton acres respond more to price changes and soybean acres respond less to price changes.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 02 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/jaae/jaae.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amani Elobeid & Simla Tokgoz, 2008.
"Removing Distortions in the U.S. Ethanol Market: What Does It Imply for the United States and Brazil?,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(4), pages 918-932.
- Elobeid, Amani E. & Tokgoz, Simla, 2007. "Removing Distortions in the U.S. Ethanol Market: What Does It Imply for the United States and Brazil?," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9808, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Parrott, Scott D. & McIntosh, Christopher S., 1996. "Nonconstant Price Expectations and Acreage Response: The Case of Cotton Production in Georgia," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 203-210, July.
- Parrott, Scott D. & McIntosh, Christopher S., 1996. "Nonconstant Price Expectations And Acreage Response: The Case Of Cotton Production In Georgia," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(01), July.
- Askari, Hossein & Cummings, John Thomas, 1977. "Estimating Agricultural Supply Response with the Nerlove Model: A Survey," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 257-292, June.
- Dumas, Christopher F. & Goodhue, Rachael E., 1999. "The Cotton Acreage Effects Of Boll Weevil Eradication: A County-Level Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Rao, J. Mohan, 1989. "Agricultural supply response: A survey," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Torre Ugarte, Daniel de la & Sanford, Scott & Skinner, Robert A. & Westcott, Paul C. & Lin, William W., 2000. "Supply Response Under The 1996 Farm Act And Implications For The U.S. Field Crops Sector," Technical Bulletins 33568, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Lin, William W. & Westcott, Paul C. & Skinner, Robert & Sanford, Scott & De La Torre Ugarte, Daniel G., 2000. "Supply Response Under the 1996 Farm Act and Implications for the U.S. Field Crops Sector," Technical Bulletins 184369, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Orden, David & Paarlberg, Robert & Roe, Terry, 1999. "Policy Reform in American Agriculture," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226632643, September.
- William Lin & Robert Dismukes, 2007. "Supply Response under Risk: Implications for Counter-Cyclical Payments' Production Impact," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(1), pages 64-86.
- Stavriotis, Paul A. & Houston, Jack E. & McIntosh, Christopher S. & Turner, Steven C., 1998. "Leading Indicators For Regional Cotton Response: Structural And Time Series Modeling Results," Faculty Series 16717, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Daniel A. Sumner, 2009. "Recent Commodity Price Movements in Historical Perspective," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1250-1256. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:104615. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.