The Cost of Dietary Variety: A Case of Fruit and Vegetables
The 2010 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee and MyPyramid recommend eating a variety of vegetables and fruit; for vegetables, this recommendation is coupled with specific weekly serving recommendations. This study used a linear programming model to show the cost of increasing variety in fruit and vegetable consumption when meeting the Dietary Guidelines for Americans fruit and vegetable consumption recommendations with no within-group variety. Efficacy of efforts to promote increased dietary variety may be limited by economic disincentives associated with purchasing a greater variety of fruit and vegetables.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thiele, S. & Weiss, C., 2003. "Consumer demand for food diversity: evidence for Germany," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 99-115, April.
- Lee, Jonq-Ying & Brown, Mark G., 1989. "Consumer Demand for Food Diversity," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 47-53, December.
- Haines, Pamela S., 2000. "Consumer Trends In Fats And Sweets: Policy Options For Dietary Change," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 31(01), March.
- Regmi, Anita & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 2006. "Are Diets Converging Globally? A Comparison of Trends Across Selected Countries," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 37(01), March.
- Godwin, Sandria L. & Tegegne, Fisseha, 2006. "Lack of Easy Accessibility as a Potential Barrier to Adequate Fruit and Vegetable Consumption by Limited-Resource Individuals," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 37(01), March.
- Hayden Stewart & J. Michael Harris, 2005. "Obstacles to Overcome in Promoting Dietary Variety: The Case of Vegetables," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(1), pages 21-36.
- Lee, Jonq-Ying & Brown, Mark G., 1989. "Consumer Demand For Food Diversity," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Wanki Moon & Wojciech Florkowski & Larry Beuchat & Anna Resurreccion & Pavlina Paraskova & Jordan Jordanov & Manjeet Chinnan, 2002. "Demand for food variety in an emerging market economy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 573-581.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlofdr:139427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.