A Spatial Analysis of the Effect of Entry by Supercenter and Warehouse Club Retailers on Grocery Sales
This research evaluates the effects of entry by supercenters and warehouse club retailers on the location of retail grocery sales. Drawing on location theory and empirical works, spatial econometric convergence models are specifi ed and estimated. Because grocery shopping is generally a local phenomenon, the spatial models are used to capture spillover effects between geographical areas. The results show that supercenter and warehouse club retailers have a signifi cant and large effect on growth of grocery sales, especially in low population areas. The results suggest that the large stores are new grocery distribution channels, which are changing where consumers shop for groceries.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael J Hicks, 2008. "Estimating Wal-Mart's Impacts in Maryland: A Test of Identification Strategies and Endogeneity Tests," Eastern Economic Journal, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 56-73, Winter.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 2006.
"The Diffusion of Wal-Mart and Economies of Density,"
2006 Meeting Papers
15, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 2008. "The Diffusion of Wal-Mart and Economies of Density," NBER Working Papers 13783, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jerry Hausman & Ephraim Leibtag, 2006.
"Consumer Benefits from Increased Competition in Shopping Outlets: Measuring the Effect of Wal-Mart,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP06/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jerry Hausman & Ephraim Leibtag, 2007. "Consumer benefits from increased competition in shopping outlets: Measuring the effect of Wal-Mart," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1157-1177.
- Jerry Hausman & Ephraim Leibtag, 2005. "Consumer Benefits from Increased Competition in Shopping Outlets: Measuring the Effect of Wal-Mart," NBER Working Papers 11809, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Griffin, James M., 1998. "Effect Of A Mass Merchandiser On Traditional Food Retailers," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 29(1), February.
- Richard J. Volpe III & Nathalie Lavoie, 2006.
"The Effect of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Grocery Prices in New England,"
2006-8, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Richard J. Volpe & Nathalie Lavoie, 2008. "The Effect of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Grocery Prices in New England," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 4-26.
- Emek Basker & Michael Noel, 2007.
"The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Marts Entry into the Supermarket Industry,"
0712, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
- Emek Basker & Michael Noel, 2009. "The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry into the Supermarket Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 977-1009, December.
- Noel, Michael & Basker, Emek, 2007. "The Evolving Food Chain: Competitive Effects of Wal-Mart's Entry Into The Supermarket Industry," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt4nq8d4sm, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Irwin, Elena G. & Clark, Jill, 2006. "Wall Street vs. Main Street: What are the Benefits and Costs of Wal-Mart to Local Communities?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 21(2).
- Woo, Byung-Joon & Huang, Chung L. & Epperson, James E. & Cude, Brenda J., 2001. "Effect Of A New Wal-Mart Supercenter On Local Retail Food Prices," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 32(01), March.
- Georgeanne M. Artz & Kenneth E. Stone, 2006. "Analyzing the Impact of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Local Food Store Sales," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1296-1303.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlofdr:139056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.