Spatial Dynamics of the Livestock Sector in the United States: Do Environmental Regulations Matter?
This study examines the factors affecting state annual share of national inventory for each of the hog, dairy, and fed-cattle sectors using data from the 48 contiguous states for 1976 to 2000. The paper develops a state specific, time-series environmental stringency measure and introduces instrumental variables to control for the possible endogeneity bias between livestock production decisions and regulatory stringency. The results indicate that differences in the severity of environmental regulations facing livestock producers have had a significant influence on production decisions in the dairy, and particularly the hog sector.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward Osei & P. G. Lakshminarayan, 1996. "Determinants of Dairy Farm Location. Livestock Series Report 7," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 96-wp174, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Eberts, Randall W. & McMillen, Daniel P., 1999.
"Agglomeration economies and urban public infrastructure,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,in: P. C. Cheshire & E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 38, pages 1455-1495
- Randall W. Eberts & Daniel P. McMillen, 1999. "Agglomeration Economies and Urban Public Infrastructure," Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers,in: Paul Cheshire & Edwin S. Mills (ed.), handbook or Regional and Urban Economics, volume 3, pages 1455-1495 W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Virginia D. McConnell & Robert M. Schwab, 1990. "The Impact of Environmental Regulation on Industry Location Decisions: The Motor Vehicle Industry," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(1), pages 67-81.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 2002. "The Effects of Environmental Regulation on Business Location in the United States," Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers,in: Wayne B. Gray (ed.), Economic Costs and Consequences of Environmental Regulation, pages 129-151 W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-683, November.
- Brian Roe & Elena G. Irwin & Jeff S. Sharp, 2002. "Pigs in Space: Modeling the Spatial Structure of Hog Production in Traditional and Nontraditional Production Regions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 259-278.
- Gollehon, Noel R. & Caswell, Margriet & Ribaudo, Marc & Kellogg, Robert L. & Lander, Charles & Letson, David, 2000.
"Confined Animal Production And Manure Nutrients,"
2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia
36382, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Gollehon, Noel R. & Caswell, Margriet & Ribaudo, Marc & Kellogg, Robert L. & Lander, Charles & Letson, David, 2001. "Confined Animal Production And Manure Nutrients," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33763, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Levinson, Arik, 1996. "Environmental regulations and manufacturers' location choices: Evidence from the Census of Manufactures," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 5-29, October.
- List, John A. & Co, Catherine Y., 2000. "The Effects of Environmental Regulations on Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-20, July.
- Catherine Co & John List, 2000. "The Effects of Environmental Regulations on Foreign Direct Investment," Natural Field Experiments 00521, The Field Experiments Website.
- Fredriksson, Per G. & Millimet, Daniel L., 2002. "Strategic Interaction and the Determination of Environmental Policy across U.S. States," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 101-122, January.
- Park, Dooho & Seidl, Andrew & Davies, Stephen, 2002. "Environmental Policy and Industry Location: The Case of the U.S. Livestock Industry," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 32(2), pages 293-307, Summer/Fa. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)