Measuring the Benefits to Advertising under Monopolistic Competition
This paper determines the benefits and costs of firm-level advertising in a monopolistically competitive industry. The model is useful in an environment in which firm-level costs may be absent or imprecise. The empirical example uses data on the advertising for a new line of prune snacks by Sunsweet Growers between 2008 and 2010, revealing average benefit-cost estimates from $1.26 to $4.35 for every dollar allocated to the new product line.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Julian M. Alston & John M. Crespi & Harry M. Kaiser & Richard J. Sexton, 2007. "An Evaluation of California's Mandated Commodity Promotion Programs," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(1), pages 40-63.
- John Crespi & Stéphan Marette, 2002. "Generic Advertising and Product Differentiation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 691-701.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report in Brief 2009," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 65 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2009 (Arabic)," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 68 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
- Alston, Julian M. & Carman, Hoy F. & Chalfant, James A. & Crespi, John M. & Sexton, Richard J. & Venner, Raymond J., 1998. "The California Prune Board's Promotion Program: An Evaluation," Research Reports 11926, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jun Ruan & Munisamy Gopinath & Steven Buccola, 2008. "Welfare Effects of Technological Convergence in Processed Food Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 447-462.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2009," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 66 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:122308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.