Diversification of Cropping Pattern: Its Determinants and Role in Flood Affected Agriculture of Assam Plains
Using farm level survey data, the paper examines the determinants of cropping pattern diversification, and evaluates the role of crop diversification in increasing farm income in flood affected agriculture in the plains of Assam. The results of censored regression on a cross section of 342 randomly selected farms suggest that crop diversification has been adopted as a mechanism to cope with limits imposed by flood. Moreover, the results of a linear regression led to the conclusion that crop diversification has an important role in enhancing farm income. The results reported in the study are quite interesting and useful, and offer important policy suggestions.
Volume (Year): 68 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.isaeindia.org/ijae/studies-publications/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshi, P.K. & Gulati, Ashok & Birthal, Pratap S. & Tewari, Laxmi, 2003. "Agriculture diversification in South Asia," MSSD discussion papers 57, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Weiss, Christoph R. & Briglauer, Wolfgang, 2000.
"Determinants and Dynamics of Farm Diversification,"
FE Working Papers
0002, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies.
- Weiss, Christoph R. & Briglauer, Wolfgang, 2002. "Determinants and Dynamics of Farm Diversification," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24929, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rulon D. Pope & Richard Prescott, 1980. "Diversification in Relation to Farm Size and Other Socioeconomic Characteristics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 62(3), pages 554-559.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-632, Nov.-Dec..Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:inijae:206329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.