Typology of farm management decision-making research
A review of 183 papers published between 1990 and 2006 led to development of a typology of farm management decision-making (FMDM) research. An existing model which categorises decision research according to purpose as being either Analytical (descriptive), Normative, or Prescriptive was blended with a second form of categorisation based on six emergent decision domains: (1) factors; (2) processes; (3) events; (4) evaluation; (5) patterns; and (6) aids. The result was a typology of seven main discernible types of FMDM research with four being Analytical in purpose (Factors, Processes, Events and Patterns), two being Normative (Event and Evaluation), and the last being Prescriptive Aid. Each of these types is outlined and examples of representative publications listed. Finally, some trends in publication patterns, in accord with this typology, are presented. This work is presented in the hope it helps readers to navigate more easily though a large and complex literature.
Volume (Year): 02 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ijagman.org|
Web page: http://www.ifmaonline.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Piech, Bozena & Rehman, T., 1993. "Application of multiple criteria decision making methods to farm planning: A case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 305-319.
- Joyce Willock & Ian J. Deary & Gareth Edwards-Jones & Gavin J. Gibson & Murray J. McGregor & Alistair Sutherland & J. Barry Dent & Oliver Morgan & Robert Grieve, 1999. "The Role of Attitudes and Objectives in Farmer Decision Making: Business and Environmentally-Oriented Behaviour in Scotland," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 286-303.
- Solano, C. & Leon, H. & Perez, E. & Herrero, M., 2003. "The role of personal information sources on the decision-making process of Costa Rican dairy farmers," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 3-18, April.
- Bekele, Wagayehu & Drake, Lars, 2003. "Soil and water conservation decision behavior of subsistence farmers in the Eastern Highlands of Ethiopia: a case study of the Hunde-Lafto area," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 437-451, October.
- Murray-Prior, Roy B. & Wright, Vic, 2001. "Influence of strategies and heuristics on farmers’ response to change under uncertainty," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(4), December.
- Iqbal, S.M.M. & Ireland, C.R. & Rodrigo, V.H.L., 2006. "A logistic analysis of the factors determining the decision of smallholder farmers to intercrop: A case study involving rubber-tea intercropping in Sri Lanka," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 296-312, March.
- A. Dorward, 1991. "Integrated Decision Rules As Farm Management Tools In Smallholder Agriculture In Malawi," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 146-159.
- James C. Cox, 1998. "Quantifying the Effects of Sow-Herd Management Information Systems on Farmers' Decision Making Using Experimental Economics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 821-829.
- Matshe, Innocent & Young, Trevor, 2004. "Off-farm labour allocation decisions in small-scale rural households in Zimbabwe," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 175-186, May.
- Zeyuan Qiu, 2005. "Using Multi-Criteria Decision Models to Assess the Economic and Environmental Impacts of Farming Decisions in an Agricultural Watershed," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 229-244.
- James F. Casey & Jill L. Caviglia-Harris & James R. Kahn & Alexandre Rivas, 2002. "Information and the subsistence farmer's decision to deforest in Latin America," International Journal of Sustainable Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(4), pages 392-414.
- James Pritchett, 2004. "Risk Decision Analysis: MBC Farms' Horse Hay Enterprise ," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 579-588.
- Murray-Prior, Roy, 1998. "Modelling farmer behaviour: a personal construct theory interpretation of hierarchical decision models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 541-556, August.
- Thomson Kalinda & Glenn Filson & James Shute, 2000. "Resources, household decision making and organisation of labour in food production among small-scale farmers in southern Zambia," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 165-174.
- Strassert, Gunter & Prato, Tony, 2002. "Selecting farming systems using a new multiple criteria decision model: the balancing and ranking method," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 269-277, February.
- Streeter, Deborah H, 1992. "Electronic Information Systems and Farmer Decision Making: Five Case Studies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(1), pages 97-113.
- Larry W. Van Tassell & Luther H. Keller, 1991. "Farmers' decision-making: Perceptions of the importance, uncertainty, and controllability of selected factors," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(6), pages 523-535.
- Ohlmer, Bo & Olson, Kent & Brehmer, Berndt, 1998. "Understanding farmers' decision making processes and improving managerial assistance," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 18(3), May.
- McGregor, M. J. & Rola-Rubzen, M. F. & Murray-Prior, R., 2001. "Micro and macro-level approaches to modelling decision making," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 69(1-2), pages 63-83.
- Juan, J. A. de & Tarjuelo, J. M. & Valiente, M. & Garcia, P., 1996. "Model for optimal cropping patterns within the farm based on crop water production functions and irrigation uniformity I: Development of a decision model," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 115-143, June.
- Varela-Ortega, Consuelo & M. Sumpsi, Jose & Garrido, Alberto & Blanco, Maria & Iglesias, Eva, 1998.
"Water pricing policies, public decision making and farmers' response: implications for water policy,"
Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 193-202, September.
- Varela-Ortega, Consuelo & Sumpsi, Jose M. & Garrido, Alberto & Blanco, Maria & Iglesias, Eva, 1998. "Water pricing policies, public decision making and farmers' response: implications for water policy," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Buysse, J. & Van Huylenbroeck, G. & Vanslembrouck, I. & Vanrolleghem, P., 2005. "Simulating the influence of management decisions on the nutrient balance of dairy farms," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 333-348, December.
- Steven J. Humphrey & Arjan Verschoor, 2004. "Decision-making Under Risk among Small Farmers in East Uganda," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages 44-101, March.
- Dounias, I. & Aubry, C. & Capillon, A., 2002. "Decision-making processes for crop management on African farms. Modelling from a case study of cotton crops in northern Cameroon," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 233-260, September.
- Allen M. Featherstone & Barry K. Goodwin, 1993. "Factors Influencing a Farmer's Decision to Invest in Long-Term Conservation Improvements," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 67-81.
- Ohlmer, Bo & Olson, Kent & Brehmer, Berndt, 1998. "Understanding farmers' decision making processes and improving managerial assistance," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 273-290, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ijameu:164350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.