The New Banana Import Regime in the European Union: A Quantitative Assessment
The new banana import regime in the EU is a two-step process towards a tariff-only system that should enter into force no later than 1 January 2006. During the transitional period, 2001-2005, bananas will continue to be imported into the EU under a tariff-rate quota system. This paper provides an empirical evaluation of the new EU banana import policy. It focuses on the structure of EU imports from preferred and non-preferred suppliers in the transitional period, and it evaluates the tariff equivalent that should be applied in 2006 on EU imports from non-preferred suppliers. The most vulnerable African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries, mainly the Caribbean states, would suffer from the new regulation unless they were to receive direct aid to make their banana production more competitive.
Volume (Year): 04. (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Suite 820, 410 22nd Street East, Saskatoon SK, S7K 5T6|
Phone: (306) 244-4800
Fax: (306) 244-7839
Web page: http://www.esteycentre.com/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Read, . "The ECInternal Banana Market: The Issues and the Dilemma Forthcoming in World Economy (1994)," Working Papers ec16/93, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- H. Guyomard & L. P. Mahé & C. Tavéra & T. Trochet, 1991. "Technical Change And Ec-Us Agricultural Trade Liberalisation," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 119-137.
- Rikke Thagesen & Alan Matthews, 1997. "The EU's Common Banana Regime: An Initial Evaluation," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 615-627, December.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche Dupraz, Catherine & Mouel, Chantal Le, 1999.
"An economic assessment of the Common Market Organization for bananas in the European Union,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 20(2), March.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche, Catherine & Le Mouel, Chantal, 1999. "An economic assessment of the Common Market Organization for bananas in the European Union," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 105-120, March.
- Read, Robert, 2001. "The Anatomy of the EU-US WTO Banana Trade Dispute," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 2(2).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ecjilt:23880. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.