The Anatomy of the EU-US WTO Banana Trade Dispute
This paper provides an overview of the banana dispute between the EU and the United States at the WTO which was finally resolved in July 2001. The paper outlines the origins of the dispute in the EUÂ’s legal obligations to its preferred suppliers, primarily former colonies, and the subsequent evolution of the EU banana trade regime. The Single European Act and subsequent complaints to the GATT and the WTO have necessitated successive reforms of the EU banana regime, culminating in a landmark WTO Panel decision in 1997. These successive regimes are summarised, along with the GATT and WTO complaints and the WTO Panel findings. The resolution of the trade policy issues concerning bananas opens the way for the serious competition issues to be more readily addressed.
Volume (Year): 02 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Suite 820, 410 22nd Street East, Saskatoon SK, S7K 5T6|
Phone: (306) 244-4800
Fax: (306) 244-7839
Web page: http://www.esteycentre.com/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Read, 1994. "The EC Internal Banana Market: The Issues and the Dilemma," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 219-236, March.
- Jack High (ed.), 2001. "Competition," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1751.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche, Catherine & Le Mouel, Chantal, 1999.
"An economic assessment of the Common Market Organization for bananas in the European Union,"
Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 105-120, March.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche Dupraz, Catherine & Mouel, Chantal Le, 1999. "An economic assessment of the Common Market Organization for bananas in the European Union," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 20(2), March.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche, Catherine & Le Mouel, Chantal, 1999. "An economic assessment of the Common Market Organization for bananas in the European Union," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 105-120, March.Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
- Hervé Guyomard & Catherine Laroche & Chantal Le Mouel & . European Economics And Financial Center,londres (gbr) & . Statistics Norway,oslo (nor), 1996. "An economic assessment of the Common Market Organisation for bananas in the European Union," Post-Print hal-01594010, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ecjilt:23877. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.