Blue Ocean versus Competitive Strategy: Theory and Evidence
Blue ocean strategy seeks to turn strategic management on its head by replacing ‘competitive advantage’ with ‘value innovation’ as the primary goal where firms must create consumer demand and exploit untapped markets. Empirical analysis has been focused on case study evidence and so lacks generality to resolve the debate. We provide a methodological synthesis of the theories enabling us to bring statistical evidence to the debate. Our analysis finds that blue ocean and competitive strategies overlap and managers do not face a discrete either/or decision between each strategy. Our evidence for the Dutch retail industry indicates that blue ocean strategy has prevailed as a dominant long term viable strategy.
|Date of creation:||29 May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 31-10-408 1182
Fax: 31-10-408 9020
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B. & Baumol, William J. & Burke, Andrew E., 2001. "Competition policy in dynamic markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 613-634, April.
- Carree, Martin & Thurik, Roy, 1994.
" The Dynamics of Entry, Exit and Profitability: An Error Correction Approach for the Retail Industry,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 107-16, April.
- Carree, M. & Thutik, R., 1993. "The Dynamics of Entry, Exit and Profitability: An Error Correction Approach for the Retail Industry," Papers 9308-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Gerrit de Wit & Niels Bosma & Martin Carree, 2003.
"Modelling Entrepreneurship: Unifying the Equilibrium and Entry/Exit Approach,"
Scales Research Reports
H200305, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Niels Bosma & Gerrit Wit & Martin Carree, 2005. "Modelling Entrepreneurship: Unifying The Equilibrium and Entry/Exit Approach," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 35-48, 08.
- Gerrit de Wit & Niels Bosma & Martin Carree, 2002. "Modelling Entrepreneurship: unifying the equilibrium and entry/exit approach," Scales Research Reports N200201, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Kim, Changsu & Yang, Kyung Hoon & Kim, Jaekyung, 2008. "A strategy for third-party logistics systems: A case analysis using the blue ocean strategy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 522-534, August.
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik & Andre van Stel & M.A. Carree, 2006.
"Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2005-07, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- A. Roy Thurik & Martin A. Carree & Andre van Stel & David B. Audretsch, 2007. "Does Self-Employment reduce Unemployment?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-089, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Audretsch, David B & Carree, Martin A & Thurik, A R Roy & van Stel, André, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5057, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2007. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports H200709, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports N200504, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"Pattenrs Of Firm Entry And Exit In U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
1-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1988. "Patterns of Firm Entry and Exit in U.S. Manufacturing Industries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 495-515, Winter.
- Michael E. Porter, 2000. "Location, Competition, and Economic Development: Local Clusters in a Global Economy," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 14(1), pages 15-34, February.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-373080 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beesley, M E & Hamilton, R T, 1984. "Small Firms' Seedbed Role and the Concept of Turbulence," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 217-31, December.
- Salmon, Mark H, 1982.
"Error Correction Mechanisms,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 615-29, September.
- Salmon, Mark, 1982. "Error Correction Mechanisms," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 199, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "Industry Structure, Market Rivalry, and Public Policy," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 1-9, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ems:eureri:16037. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.