The tariff-only import regime for bananas in the European Union: Is setting the tariff at right level an impossible mission?
The European Union is bound by World Trade organisation agreements to move to a tariff-only import system for bananas no later than 1 january 2006. From that date, imports from non-ACP countries will be subject to a single tariff while ACP country bananas will continue to enter the EU market duty free. This regime will replace the highly contested tariff-rate quota policy in place since 1993. This paper shows that setting the tariff at a level that maintain tha status quo is an impossible mission given uncertainties on quota rates estimates and quota rent distribution
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Publication status:||Published in XIth EAAE Congress : The future of rural Europe in the global agri-food system, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 24-27, 2005, 2005, 13p., 2005|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00083696|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Vanzetti & Santiago Fernandez de Córdoba & Veronica Chau, 2005. "Banana Split: How Eu Policies Divide Global Producers," UNCTAD Blue Series Papers 31, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche, Catherine & Le Mouel, Chantal, 1999. "Impacts of the Common Market Organization for Bananas on European Union Markets, International Trade, and Welfare," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 619-631, September.
- Swinbank, Alan, 1996. "Capping the CAP? Implementation of the Uruguay round agreement by the European union," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 393-407.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche Dupraz, Catherine & Mouel, Chantal Le, 1999.
"An economic assessment of the Common Market Organization for bananas in the European Union,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 20(2), March.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche, Catherine & Le Mouel, Chantal, 1999. "An economic assessment of the Common Market Organization for bananas in the European Union," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 105-120, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00083696. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.