The tariff-only import regime for bananas in the European Union: Is setting the tariff at right level an impossible mission?
The European Union is bound by World Trade organisation agreements to move to a tariff-only import system for bananas no later than 1 january 2006. From that date, imports from non-ACP countries will be subject to a single tariff while ACP country bananas will continue to enter the EU market duty free. This regime will replace the highly contested tariff-rate quota policy in place since 1993. This paper shows that setting the tariff at a level that maintain tha status quo is an impossible mission given uncertainties on quota rates estimates and quota rent distribution
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in XIth EAAE Congress : The future of rural Europe in the global agri-food system, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 24-27, 2005, 2005, 13p., 2005|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00083696|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Swinbank, Alan, 1996. "Capping the CAP? Implementation of the Uruguay round agreement by the European union," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 393-407.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche Dupraz, Catherine & Mouel, Chantal Le, 1999.
"An economic assessment of the Common Market Organization for bananas in the European Union,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 20(2), March.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche, Catherine & Le Mouel, Chantal, 1999. "An economic assessment of the Common Market Organization for bananas in the European Union," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 105-120, March.
- David Vanzetti & Santiago Fernandez de Córdoba & Veronica Chau, 2005. "Banana Split: How Eu Policies Divide Global Producers," UNCTAD Blue Series Papers 31, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Guyomard, Herve & Laroche, Catherine & Le Mouel, Chantal, 1999. "Impacts of the Common Market Organization for Bananas on European Union Markets, International Trade, and Welfare," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 619-631, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00083696. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.