Factors Affecting Maize Producers Adoption of Forward Pricing in Price Risk Management: The Case of Vaalharts
Logistic regression is employed to analyse the factors which influence the decision of whether or not the respondent used forward pricing methods during the 2004/05 maize production season. Forward pricing methods include cash forward contracting and hedging with futures contracts and/or options, through the South African Futures Exchange (SAFEX). Based on the results, the use of forward pricing is associated with lower levels of risk aversion and higher levels of human capital. Factor analysis is employed to reduce the dimensionality of the personal reasons which help to interpret the underlying, common factor of the personal reasons why farmers are reluctant to use forward pricing methods. Three factors were extracted and were labelled â€œLack of capacityâ€ , â€œDistrust of the marketâ€ , and â€œBad experiencesâ€ . The results from the factor analysis confirm the finding that farmers need higher levels of human capital to use forward pricing methods and that farmers do not believe that the forward pricing market is effective. Education should furthermore, focus more on the practical application of alternative forward pricing methods and not purely on the benefits of the use of forward pricing methods.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coble, Keith H. & Barnett, Barry J., 1999. "The Role Of Research In Producer Risk Management," Professional Papers 15803, Mississippi State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Ani L. Katchova & Mario J. Miranda, 2004. "Two-Step Econometric Estimation of Farm Characteristics Affecting Marketing Contract Decisions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 88-102.
- Davis, Todd D. & Patrick, George F. & Coble, Keith H. & Knight, Thomas O. & Baquet, Alan E., 2005.
"Forward Pricing Behavior of Corn and Soybean Producers,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(01), pages 145-160, April.
- Davis, Todd D. & Patrick, George F. & Coble, Keith H. & Knight, Thomas O. & Baquet, Alan E., 2005. "Forward Pricing Behavior of Corn and Soybean Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(01), April.
- Sartwelle, James & O'Brien, Daniel & Tierney, William & Eggers, Tim, 2000. "The Effect of Personal and Farm Characteristics upon Grain Marketing Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 95-111, April.
- Isengildina, Olga & Hudson, Darren, 2001. "Factors Affecting Hedging Decisions Using Evidence from the Cotton Industry," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18970, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Bown, A.N. & Ortmann, G.F. & Darroch, M.A.G., 1999. "Use Of Maize Marketing Alternatives And Price Risk Management Tools By Commercial Maize Farmers In South Africa," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 38(3), September.
- B.I. Shapiro & B. Wade Brorsen, 1988. "Factors Affecting Farmers' Hedging Decisions," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 145-153.
- McNew, Kevin & Musser, Wesley N., 2000. "Evidence Of Farmer Forward Pricing Behavior," Working Papers 28568, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Sartwelle, James D., III & O'Brien, Daniel M. & Tierney, William I., Jr. & Eggers, Tim, 2000. "The Effect Of Personal And Farm Characteristics Upon Grain Marketing Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:agreko:7049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.