Factors affecting the use of forward pricing methods in price risk management with special reference to the influence of risk aversion
Risk aversion is the primary reason for farmers to use forward pricing methods to hedge against price risk. Previous international research on farmersâ€™ forward pricing behaviour found inconsistent results with respect to the relationship between risk aversion and the use of forward pricing methods. Ordinary Least Squares (OLS) regression is used in this research to investigate the relationship between the proportion of maize Vaalharts maize producers are willing to forward price and risk aversion. The quantity decision is modelled conditional on the adoption decision to ensure that the modelling procedure does not force the same variables to influence the two decisions in the same way. Regression results showed that more risk averse farmers are forward pricing a larger proportion of their crop produce. The main conclusion from this research is that the relationship between farmersâ€™ risk aversion and the quantity of maize forward priced is consistent with expected utility theory in spite of the fact that farmers needs to be less risk averse to adopt forward pricing. Future emphases should be placed on the factors affecting the adoption of forward pricing as risk management tool in order to promote risk management. Especially research that will change farmersâ€™ perception about forward pricing is necessary.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collier, Paul & Dehn, Jan, 2001. "Aid, shocks, and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2688, The World Bank.
- Jordaan, Henry & Grove, Bennie, 2007. "Factors Affecting Maize Producers Adoption of Forward Pricing in Price Risk Management: The Case of Vaalharts," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(4), December.
- Sartwelle, James & O'Brien, Daniel & Tierney, William & Eggers, Tim, 2000. "The Effect of Personal and Farm Characteristics upon Grain Marketing Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(01), pages 95-111, April.
- Davis, Todd D. & Patrick, George F. & Coble, Keith H. & Knight, Thomas O. & Baquet, Alan E., 2005.
"Forward Pricing Behavior of Corn and Soybean Producers,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(01), April.
- Davis, Todd D. & Patrick, George F. & Coble, Keith H. & Knight, Thomas O. & Baquet, Alan E., 2005. "Forward Pricing Behavior of Corn and Soybean Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(01), pages 145-160, April.
- B.I. Shapiro & B. Wade Brorsen, 1988. "Factors Affecting Farmers' Hedging Decisions," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 145-153.
- Isengildina, Olga & Hudson, Darren, 2001. "Factors Affecting Hedging Decisions Using Evidence from the Cotton Industry," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18970, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Ani L. Katchova & Mario J. Miranda, 2004. "Two-Step Econometric Estimation of Farm Characteristics Affecting Marketing Contract Decisions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 88-102.
- Atanu Saha & C. Richard Shumway & Hovav Talpaz, 1994. "Joint Estimation of Risk Preference Structure and Technology Using Expo-Power Utility," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(2), pages 173-184.
- Sartwelle, James D., III & O'Brien, Daniel M. & Tierney, William I., Jr. & Eggers, Tim, 2000. "The Effect Of Personal And Farm Characteristics Upon Grain Marketing Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- McNew, Kevin & Musser, Wesley N., 2000. "Evidence Of Farmer Forward Pricing Behavior," Working Papers 28568, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:agreko:5970. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.