Socio-Economic and Environmental Impact of AGENDA 2000 and Alternative Policy Choices for Market Liberalization on an Irrigated Area in Northwestern Spain
This paper presents a methodology to evaluate the impact of different policy scenarios using a farmer's utility function. The analysis shows the impact on farmers and on the environment. The case study is a community of irrigated farms (Bajo CarriÃ³n) in Northwestern Spain. The results obtained show how Agenda 2000 has little impact on farm crop distribution, gross margins, employment and environment (use of fertilizers and water). The most radical scenario (a 15 per cent COP price cut and no area payments) produces a 37.3 per cent reduction in farm gross margin, and an increase in fertilizer use of 6 per cent.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guyomard & Baudry & Carpentier, 1996.
"Estimating crop supply response in the presence of farm programmes : application to the CAP,"
153134, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Guyomard, Herve & Baudry, Marc & Carpentier, Alain, 1996. "Estimating Crop Supply Response in the Presence of Farm Programmes: Application to the CAP," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 401-20.
- Noel P. Russell & Iain M. Fraser, 1995. "The Potential Impact Of Environmental Cross-Compliance On Arable Farming," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 70-79.
- B. Curtis Eaves, 1971. "On Quadratic Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(11), pages 698-711, July.
- Sumpsi, JoseMaria & Amador, Francisco & Romero, Carlos, 1997. "On farmers' objectives: A multi-criteria approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 64-71, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aergaa:26458. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.