Moments of the ARMA-EGARCH Model
AbstractThis paper considers the moment structure of the ARMA(r,s)-EGARCH(p,q) model. In particular, we provide the autocorrelation function and any arbitrary moment of the conditional variance/squared errors. In addition, we derive the cross correlations between the process and the conditional variance/squared errors. We also explain our general results using the MA(1)-EGARCH(3,3)\ and the MA(1)-EGARCH(1,4) models as examples. Finally, the practical implications of the results are illustrated empirically using daily data on four East Asia Stock Indices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of York in its series Discussion Papers with number 00/29.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Autocorrelations; Exponential GARCH; Stock Returns.;
Other versions of this item:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J., 1996. "Modeling volatility persistence of speculative returns: A new approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 185-215, July.
- Lobo, Bento J. & Tufte, David, 1998. "Exchange Rate Volatility: Does Politics Matter?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 351-365, April.
- Booth, G. Geoffrey & Martikainen, Teppo & Tse, Yiuman, 1997. "Price and volatility spillovers in Scandinavian stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 811-823, June.
- repec:fth:galeco:47 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pagan, A.R. & Schwert, G.W., 1989.
"Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility,"
89-02, Rochester, Business - General.
- Pagan, Adrian R. & Schwert, G. William, 1990. "Alternative models for conditional stock volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 267-290.
- Adrian R. Pagan & G. William Schwert, 1990. "Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility," NBER Working Papers 2955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Abadir, Karim, 1995.
"An Introduction to Hypergeometric Functions for Economists,"
9510, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Karim Abadir, 1999. "An introduction to hypergeometric functions for economists," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 287-330.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Booth, G Geoffrey, 1995. "Asymmetric volatility transmission in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 747-762, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- C. Hafner, 1997. "Estimating High Frequency Foreign Exchange Rate Volatility with Nonparametric ARCH Models," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,18, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989.
"Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test,"
NBER Working Papers
2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Stilianos Fountas & Menelaos Karanasos & Marika Karanassou, .
"A GARCH Model of Inflation and Inflation Uncertainty with Simultaneous Feedback,"
00/24, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Stilianos Fountas & Menelaos Karanasos & Marika Karanassou, 2000. "A GARCH Model of Inflation and Inflation Uncertainty with Simultaneous Feedback," Working Papers 414, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Stilianos Fountas & Menelaos Karanasos & Marika Karanassou, 2000. "A GARCH Model of Inflation and Inflation Uncertainty with Simultaneous Feedback," Working Papers 0047, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2000.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Donaldson, R. Glen & Kamstra, Mark, 1997. "An artificial neural network-GARCH model for international stock return volatility," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 17-46, January.
- Allan D. Brunner & David P. Simon, 1995.
"Excess returns and risk at the long end of the Treasury market: an EGARCH-M approach,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
522, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brunner, Allan D & Simon, David P, 1996. "Excess Returns and Risk at the Long End of the Treasury Market: An EGARCH-M Approach," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 443-57, Fall.
- Joe Appiah-Kusi & Gioia M Pescetto, 1998. "Volatility and Volatility Spill-overs in Emerging Markets: The case of the African Stock Markets," Ekonomia, Cyprus Economic Society and University of Cyprus, vol. 2(2), pages 171-185, Winter.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Breidt, F. Jay & Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro, 1998. "The detection and estimation of long memory in stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 325-348.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Chung, Hyung-Jin & Sorensen, Bent E., 1999. "Efficient method of moments estimation of a stochastic volatility model: A Monte Carlo study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 61-87, July.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Lund, Jesper, 1997. "Estimating continuous-time stochastic volatility models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 343-377, April.
- Hagerud, Gustaf E., 1997. "Modeling Nordic Stock Returns with Asymmetric GARCH models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 164, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Manolis G. Kavussanos & Amir H. Alizadeh-M, 2002. "The Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure and Risk Premiums in Dry Bulk Shipping Freight Markets," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 36(2), pages 267-304, May.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Sheen, Jeffrey, 1998.
"International Linkages and Macroeconomic News Effects on Interest Rate Volatility - Australia and the US',"
11, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Sheen, Jeffrey, 2000. "International linkages and macroeconomic news effects on interest rate volatility -- Australia and the US," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 85-113, March.
- Tse, Yiuman, 1998. "International transmission of information: evidence from the Euroyen and Eurodollar futures markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 909-929, December.
- Kim, Dongcheol & Kon, Stanley J, 1994. "Alternative Models for the Conditional Heteroscedasticity of Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(4), pages 563-98, October.
- St. Pierre, Eileen F., 1998. "Estimating EGARCH-M models: Science or art?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 167-180.
- Menelaos Karanasos & J. Kim, . "Alternative GARCH in Mean Models: An Application to the Korean Stock Market," Discussion Papers 00/25, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Hu, Michael Y. & Jiang, Christine X. & Tsoukalas, Christos, 1997. "The European exchange rates before and after the establishment of the European Monetary System," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 235-253, October.
- Jung-Hee Lee & B. Wade Brorsen, 1997. "A non-nested test of GARCH vs. EGARCH models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(12), pages 765-768.
- Christos S. Savva & Denise R. Osborn & Len Gill, 2006.
"Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0629, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Denise R. Osborn & Christos S. Savva & Len Gill, 2008. "Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(3), pages 307-325, Summer.
- Christos S. Savva & Denise R. Osborn & Len Gill, 2006. "Periodic Dynamic Conditional Correlations between Stock Markets in Europe and the US," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 77, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vandenbussche & Stanley Watt & Szabolcs Blazsek, 2009. "The Liquidity and Liquidity Distribution Effects in Emerging Markets: The Case of Jordan," IMF Working Papers 09/228, International Monetary Fund.
- Liudas Giraitis & Remigijus Leipus & Peter M Robinson & Donatas Surgailis, 2003.
"LARCH, Leverage and Long Memory,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2003/460, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Malmsten, Hans & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2004. "Stylized Facts of Financial Time Series and Three Popular Models of Volatility," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 563, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 03 Sep 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.