Moment Structure Of A Family Of First-Order Exponential Garch Models
AbstractIn this paper we consider the moment structure of a class of first-order exponential generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity (GARCH) models. This class contains as special cases both the standard exponential GARCH model and the symmetric and asymmetric logarithmic GARCH model. Conditions for the existence of any arbitrary moment are given. Furthermore, the expressions for the kurtosis and the autocorrelations of positive powers of absolute-valued observations are derived. The properties of the autocorrelation structure are discussed and compared to those of the standard first-order GARCH process. In particular, it is seen that, contrary to the standard GARCH case, the decay rate of the autocorrelations of squared errors is not constant and that the rate can be quite rapid in the beginning, depending on the parameters of the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 18 (2002)
Issue (Month): 04 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hartz, Christoph & Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc, 2006. "Accurate value-at-risk forecasting based on the normal-GARCH model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2295-2312, December.
- Christian M. Dahl & Emma M. Iglesias, 2008. "The limiting properties of the QMLE in a general class of asymmetric volatility models," CREATES Research Papers 2008-38, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Malmsten, Hans, 2004. "Evaluating exponential GARCH models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 564, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 03 Sep 2004.
- Wintenberger, Olivier & Cai, Sixiang, 2011. "Parametric inference and forecasting in continuously invertible volatility models," MPRA Paper 31767, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wintenberger, Olivier, 2013. "Continuous invertibility and stable QML estimation of the EGARCH(1,1) model," MPRA Paper 46027, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2002.
"A Family of Autoregressive Conditional Duration Models,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
440, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2006. "A family of autoregressive conditional duration models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 1-23, January.
- FERNANDES, Marcelo & GRAMMIG, Joachim, 2001. "A family of autoregressive conditional duration models," CORE Discussion Papers 2001036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2003. "A family of autoregressive conditional duration models," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 501, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- María José Rodríguez & Esther Ruiz, 2009. "GARCH models with leverage effect : differences and similarities," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws090302, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Liudas Giraitis, 2004.
"LARCH, Leverage, and Long Memory,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(2), pages 177-210.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vandenbussche & Stanley Watt & Szabolcs Blazsek, 2009. "The Liquidity and Liquidity Distribution Effects in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 09/228, International Monetary Fund.
- Karanasos, Menelaos & Kim, Jinki, 2006. "A re-examination of the asymmetric power ARCH model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 113-128, January.
- Ruiz, Esther & Veiga, Helena, 2008.
"Modelling long-memory volatilities with leverage effect: A-LMSV versus FIEGARCH,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2846-2862, February.
- Esther Ruiz & Helena Veiga, 2006. "Modelling Long-Memory Volatilities With Leverage Effect: Almsv Versus Fiegarch," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws066016, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Francq, Christian & Wintenberger, Olivier & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2012.
"Garch models without positivity constraints: exponential or log garch?,"
41373, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francq, Christian & Wintenberger, Olivier & Zakoïan, Jean-Michel, 2013. "GARCH models without positivity constraints: Exponential or log GARCH?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 34-46.
- Zakoïan, Jean-Michel & Wintenberger, Olivier & Francq, Christian, 2013. "GARCH models without positivity constraints: Exponential or Log GARCH?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10571, Paris Dauphine University.
- Liudas Giraitis & Remigijus Leipus & Peter M. Robinson & Donatas Surgailis, 2004. "LARCH, leverage, and long memory," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 294, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Malmsten, Hans & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2004. "Stylized Facts of Financial Time Series and Three Popular Models of Volatility," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 563, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 03 Sep 2004.
- repec:imd:wpaper:wp2010-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sofia Anyfantaki & Antonis Demos, 2012. "Estimation and Properties of a Time-Varying EGARCH(1,1) in Mean Model," DEOS Working Papers 1228, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Genaro Sucarrat & Alvaro Escribano, 2010. "The power log-GARCH model," Economics Working Papers we1013, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Pérez, Ana & Ruiz, Esther & Veiga, Helena, 2009. "A note on the properties of power-transformed returns in long-memory stochastic volatility models with leverage effect," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(10), pages 3593-3600, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.