Modeling Nordic Stock Returns with Asymmetric GARCH models
AbstractThis paper investigates the presence of asymmetric GARCH effects in a number of equity return series, and compare the modeling performance of seven different conditional variance models, within the parametric GARCH class of models. The data consists of daily returns for 45 Nordic stocks, during the period July 1991 to July 1996. The models investigated are: EGARCH, GJR, TGARCH, A- PARCH, GQARCH, VS-ARCH, and LSTGARCH. In all these models the conditional variance is a function of the sign of lagged residuals. Thus, the models can capture the often reported negative correlation between lagged returns and conditional variance. In the paper I also introduce three new procedures for asymmetry testing. The proposed LM tests, which are based on the results of Wooldridge , allow for heterokurtosis under the null. Asymmetries are detected for only 12 of the 45 series. The specifications GJR, TGARCH, and GQARCH appear to be superior for modeling the dynamics of the conditional variance. Furthermore, I show that the use of robust test statistics is advisable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 164.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Mar 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
GARCH; asymmetry; equity returns; model evaluation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Menelaos Karanasos & J. Kim, . "Alternative GARCH in Mean Models: An Application to the Korean Stock Market," Discussion Papers 00/25, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Menelaos Karanasos & J. Kim, .
"Moments of the ARMA-EGARCH Model,"
00/29, Department of Economics, University of York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.