The Economics of Uncovered Interest Parity Condition for Emerging Markets: A Survey
AbstractFinancial account liberalizations since the second half of the 1980s paved way for the burgeoning literature that investigates foreign exchange market efficiency in emerging markets via testing for the uncovered interest parity (UIP) condition. This paper provides a broad and critical survey on this recent literature as well as a general understanding on the topic through reviewing the related literature on developed economies where recent methodological advances in time series econometrics have provided favorable results, questioning the previously documented UIP puzzle. The literature on emerging markets suggests that these countries deserve a special treatment by taking into account the existence of additional types of risk premia, high inflation episodes, financial contagion, peso problem, simultaneity problem, asymmetricity, and the determination of de facto structural breaks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 4079.
Date of creation: 30 May 2007
Date of revision:
Uncovered Interest Parity; Forward Premium Bias; Emerging Markets;
Other versions of this item:
- C. Emre Alper & Oya Pinar Ardic & Salih Fendoglu, 2009. "The Economics Of The Uncovered Interest Parity Condition For Emerging Markets," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 115-138, 02.
- C. Emre Alper & Oya Pinar Ardic & Salih Fendoglu, 2007. "The Economics of Uncovered Interest Parity Condition for Emerging Markets: A Survey," Working Papers 2007/13, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-07-27 (Central Banking)
- NEP-CWA-2007-07-27 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-IFN-2007-07-27 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2007-07-27 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adrien Verdelhan, 2006.
"A Habit-Based Explanation of the Exchange Rate Risk Premium,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
217, Society for Computational Economics.
- Adrien Verdelhan, 2010. "A Habit-Based Explanation of the Exchange Rate Risk Premium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(1), pages 123-146, 02.
- Adrien Verdelhan, 2006. "A Habit-Based Explanation of the Exchange Rate Risk Premium," 2006 Meeting Papers 872, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Adrien Verdelhan, 2005. "A Habit-Based Explanation of the Exchange Rate Risk Premium," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-032, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Adrien Verdelhan, 2006. "A Habit-Based Explanation of the Exchange Rate Risk Premium," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-047, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Christophe Chamley, 2006. "Complementarities in information acquisition with short-term trades," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-042, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Özcan Karahan & Olcay Çolak, 2012. "Does Uncovered Interest Rate Parity Hold in Turkey?," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(4), pages 386-394.
- Vadym Volosovych, 2011.
"Measuring Financial Market Integration over the Long Run: Is there a U-Shape?,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
11-018/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Volosovych, Vadym, 2011. "Measuring financial market integration over the long run: Is there a U-shape?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1535-1561.
- Chan, Tze-Haw, 2011. "A structural modeling of exchange rate, prices and interest rates between Malaysia-China in the liberalization era," MPRA Paper 32955, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Omer, Muhammad & de Haan, Jakob & Scholtens, Bert, 2013. "Does Uncovered Interest rate Parity Hold After All?," MPRA Paper 47572, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Heeho, 2011. "The risk adjusted uncovered equity parity," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1491-1505.
- Vít Pošta, 2012. "Estimation Of The Time-Varying Risk Premium In The Czech Foreign Exchange Market," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(1), pages 3-17.
- Muhammad Omer & Jakob de Haan & Bert Scholtens, 2012. "Testing Uncovered Interest Rate Parity Using LIBOR," CESifo Working Paper Series 3839, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brown, M. & Ongena, S. & Yesin, P., 2011.
"Information Asymmetry and Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms,"
2011-099, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Martin Brown & Steven Ongena & Pinar Yesin, 2012. "Information Asymmetry and Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms," Working Papers 2012-05, Swiss National Bank.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:30:y:2010:i:1:p:624-635 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2011018 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brown, Martin & Ongena, Steven & Yesin, Pinar, 2009.
"Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7540, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tang, Kin-Boon, 2011. "The precise form of uncovered interest parity: A heterogeneous panel application in ASEAN-5 countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 568-573, January.
- Caroline Duburcq & Eric Girardin, 2010. "Domestic and external factors in interest rate determination: the minor role of the exchange rate regime," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 624-635.
- TRIANDAFIL, Cristina Maria, 2013. "Sustainability of convergence in the context of macro-prudential policies in the European Union," Working Papers of National Institute of Economic Research 130618, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Caroline Duburcq, 2010. "The Impact of Exchange Rate Regime on Interest Rates in Latin America," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 47(135), pages 91-124.
- Alex Luiz Ferreira., 2009. "Is it Risk? An Automated Approach to Explain the ex ante UIP Deviations of Brazil," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 46(133), pages 51-66.
- Cavoli, Tony, 2012. "Exploring dimensions of regional economic integration in East Asia: More than the sum of its parts?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 643-653.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.