Deviations from uncovered interest parity in Malaysia
AbstractThis paper applies the Switching ARCH (SWARCH) model of Hamilton and Susmel (1994) to investigate the dynamics of deviations from Uncovered Interest Parity (UIP) for Malaysia for the sample period 1978-2002. In particular, the deviations (or the risk premium) are modelled as a time series subject to discrete regime shifts between two possible states, “high volatility” and “low volatility”. We find that the SWARCH model provides a better description of the data and implies a much lower degree of volatility persistence than conventional ARCH models. Overall, the SWARCH model provides a clearer picture of how the UIP deviations have evolved over time and how the changes in the volatility of the deviations have coincided with major changes in financial liberalisation in Malaysia. This adds credibility to the hypothesis that the shifts are not statistical artefacts but indeed reflect real economic changes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2006)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tse Yiu Kuen & Tan Kim Song, 1996. "Interest Parity and Dynamic Capital Mobility: The Experience of Singapore," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Deregulation and Integration in East Asia, NBER-EASE Volume 5, pages 335-357 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-70, July.
- Hamilton, James D. & Susmel, Raul, 1994.
"Autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity and changes in regime,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 307-333.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate Hamilton-Susmel Markov Switching ARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00083, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Goh, S. K. & Alias, M. H. & Olekalns, N., 2003. "New evidence on financial openness in Malaysia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 311-325, April.
- Hamid Faruqee, 1991. "Dynamic Capital Mobility in Pacific Basin Developing Countries - Estimation and Policy Implications," IMF Working Papers 91/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lumsdaine, Robin L., 2002.
"Dating the integration of world equity markets,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 203-247, August.
- Turkhan Ali Abdul Manap & Gairuzazmi M Ghani, 2012. "Malaysia's Time Varying Capital Mobility," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1361-1368.
- Tang, Kin-Boon, 2011. "The precise form of uncovered interest parity: A heterogeneous panel application in ASEAN-5 countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 568-573, January.
- Özcan Karahan & Olcay Çolak, 2012. "Does Uncovered Interest Rate Parity Hold in Turkey?," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(4), pages 386-394.
- repec:eid:wpaper:02/11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Li, Dandan & Ghoshray, A. & Morley, B., 2011. "Uncovered Interest Parity and the Risk Premium," Department of Economics Working Papers 24072, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Kim, Heeho, 2011. "The risk adjusted uncovered equity parity," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1491-1505.
- Ai Lian Tan Author_Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Shiau Mooi Lim & Seow Shin Koong & Ying Yin Koay, 2011. "Exchange Rate And Current Account: Are They Co-Integrated Symmetrically Or Asymmetrically?," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-019-150, Conference Master Resources.
- Cavoli, Tony, 2012. "Exploring dimensions of regional economic integration in East Asia: More than the sum of its parts?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 643-653.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.