Following in their Footsteps: Comparing Interest Parity Conditions in Central European Economies to the Euro Countries
AbstractThis paper investigates capital market integration in the major Central European emerging economies by testing the covered and uncovered interest parity conditions vis-à-vis the U.S. dollar and the DM/euro. The results for the Central European economies since 1997 are contrasted against those of the euro countries during the period preceding the introduction of the euro. This allows a comparison of conditions in the capital markets in the Central European economies versus those in the pre-euro EU. The results suggest that capital mobility and exchange rate market efficiency in Central Europe are remarkably similar to conditions in the EU during the 1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1020.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
covered interest parity; uncovered interest parity; Central Europe; EU enlargement;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claessens,Constantijn A. & Oks, Daniel & Polastri, Rossana, 1998.
"Capital flows to Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1976, The World Bank.
- Stijn Claessens & Daniel Oks & Rossana Polastri, 2000. "Capital Flows to Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 299-339 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bansal, Ravi & Dahlquist, Magnus, 2000.
"The forward premium puzzle: different tales from developed and emerging economies,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 115-144, June.
- Bansal, Ravi & Dahlquist, Magnus, 1999. "The Forward Premium Puzzle: Different Tales from Developed and Emerging Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark Holmes & Yangru Wu, 1997. "Capital controls and covered interest parity in the EU: Evidence from a panel-data unit root test," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 76-89, March.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1996.
"Fixes: Of the Forward Discount Puzzle,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 748-52, November.
- Guy Meredith & Yue Ma, 2002. "The Forward Premium Puzzle Revisited," IMF Working Papers 02/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Holmes, Mark J., 2001. "Some new evidence on exchange rates, capital controls and European Union financial integration," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 135-146.
- Jiang, Chun & Li, Xiao-Lin & Chang, Hsu-Ling & Su, Chi-Wei, 2013. "Uncovered interest parity and risk premium convergence in Central and Eastern European countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 204-208.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.