Long Term Asset Price Volatility and Macroeconomic Fluctuations
AbstractWe analyze a stochastic growth model with lags in the operation of new technologies. Stock values are impacted by news on technological innovations and some other external shocks affecting the economy. Episodes of technology adoption may generate long fluctuations in the aggregate value of stocks. We asses the quantitative importance of various macroeconomic variables in accounting for both the observed volatility of stock values and the less pronounced volatility of real macroeconomic aggregates. Our analysis singles out price markups and leverage as key determinants of asset price volatility, and confers a rather limited role to adjustment costs, taxes, and labor and financial frictions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Miami, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2010-1.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: 02 Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 248126, Coral Gables, FL 33124-6550
Phone: (305) 284-5540
Fax: (305) 284-2985
Web page: http://www.bus.miami.edu/faculty-and-research/academic-departments/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Technological innovation; stock market; markups; leverage; taxes; labor and financial frictions.;
Other versions of this item:
- Miguel Angel Iraola & Manuel S. Santos, 2009. "Long-Term Asset Price Volatility and Macroeconomics Fluctations," Working Papers 0909, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Manuel S. Santos & Miguel A. Iraola, 2010. "Long-Term Asset Price Volatility and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," 2010 Meeting Papers 374, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Comin, Diego & Mestieri, Marti, 2013.
"Technology Diffusion:Measurement, Causes and Consequences,"
TSE Working Papers
13-420, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Diego A. Comin & Martí Mestieri, 2013. "Technology Diffusion: Measurement, Causes and Consequences," NBER Working Papers 19052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diego Comin & Martí Mestieri, 2013. "Technology Diffusion: Measurement, Causes and Consequences," INET Research Notes 29, Institute for New Economic Thinking (INET).
- Mariano Max Croce, 2010. "Tax Uncertainty, Leverage and Asset Prices," 2010 Meeting Papers 1084, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher Parmeter).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.