Technological Growth and Asset Pricing
AbstractIn this paper we study the implications of general-purpose technological growth for asset prices. The model features two types of shocks: "small", frequent, and disembodied shocks to productivity and "large" technological innovations, which are embodied into new vintages of the capital stock. While the former affect the economy on impact, the latter affect the economy with lags, since firms need to first adopt the new technologies through investment. The process of adoption leads to cycles in asset valuations and risk premia as firms convert the growth options associated with the new technologies into assets in place. This process can help provide a unified, investment-based view of some well documented phenomena such as the asset-valuation patterns around major technological innovations, the countercyclical behavior of returns, the lead-lag relationship between the stock market and output, and the increasing patterns of consumption-return correlations over longer horizons.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 15340.
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Note: AP EFG
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2009-09-19 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-DGE-2009-09-19 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2009-09-19 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xiaoji Lin & Jack Favilukis, 2011. "Micro Frictions, Asset Pricing, and Aggregate Implications," 2011 Meeting Papers 466, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Missaka Warusawitharana, 2011. "The expected real return to equity," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mariano Croce & Kai Li & Hengjie Ai, 2010.
"Toward a Quantitative General Equilibrium Asset Pricing Model with Intangible Capital,"
2010 Meeting Papers
663, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hengjie Ai & Mariano Massimiliano Croce & Kai Li, 2013. "Toward a Quantitative General Equilibrium Asset Pricing Model with Intangible Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(2), pages 491-530.
- Dimitris Papanikolaou, 2008. "Investment-Specific Technological Change and Asset Prices," 2008 Meeting Papers 637, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hengjie Ai & Dana Kiku, 2008. "A Model of Cross-Section of Equity Returns and Firm Dynamics," 2008 Meeting Papers 1030, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kalyvitis Sarantis & Panopoulou Ekaterini, 2013.
"Estimating C-CAPM and the equity premium over the frequency domain,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 17(5), pages 551-571, December.
- Ekaterini Panopoulou & Sarantis Kalyvitis, 2012. "Estimating C-CAPM and the Equity Premium over the Frequency Domain," DEOS Working Papers 1216, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Mariano Max Croce, 2010. "Tax Uncertainty, Leverage and Asset Prices," 2010 Meeting Papers 1084, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Belo, Frederico, 2010. "Production-based measures of risk for asset pricing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 146-163, March.
- Hanno Lustig, . "Exploring the Link between Housing and the Value Premium (joint with Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh)," UCLA Economics Online Papers 389, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Iulian Obreja & Chris Telmer, 2009. "Accounting for Low Frequency Variation in Tobin's q," 2009 Meeting Papers 47, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jianfeng Yu, 2009. "The Long and the Short of Asset Prices: Using Long Run Consumption-Return Correlations to Test Asset Pricing Models," 2009 Meeting Papers 56, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Iulian Obreja & Chris Telmer, 2008. "Accounting for Low Frequency Variation in Tobin's q," 2008 Meeting Papers 815, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jack Favilukis & Xiaoji Lin, 2011. "Micro Frictions, Asset Pricing and Aggregate," FMG Discussion Papers dp673, Financial Markets Group.
- Maral Shamloo & Aytek Malkhozov, 2010. "Asset Prices in a News Driven Real Business Cycle Model," 2010 Meeting Papers 546, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lars Lochstoer & Harjoat S. Bhamra, 2009. "Return Predictability and Labor Market Frictions in a Real Business Cycle Model," 2009 Meeting Papers 1257, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Georg Kaltenbrunner & Lars Lochstoer, 2007. "Long-Run Risk through Consumption Smoothing," 2007 Meeting Papers 25, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.