Outpout Gap Estimation, Estimation Uncertainty And Its Effect On Policy Rules
AbstractThe authors propose a short run model for the monetary transmission mechanism in which the output gap is modelled as an unobserved variable. By estimating this model using maximum likelihood on a Kalman Filter, the authors find an estimate of the unobserved output gap as well as its estimation uncertainty. The performance of monetary rules is studied both with certainty on the output gap values as well as with estimation uncertainty. Although the estimated gap is more reasonable than some other estimates proposed for Colombia, it is estimated with a considerable amount of uncertainty. In fact, the gap is not significantly different from zero in all but five quarter. This result amounts to say that we can not be sure about the sign or value of the gap except when the economy faces an unusual rate of growth. Moreover, we found that potential output does not differ statistically from a linear trend, thus, the gap may be understood as deviations from a linear trend, being the money surprises the source of this deviations. This result may be due to the sample length. In addition, we estimated the optimal linear policy rule with and without uncertainty and used it as a benchmark to evaluate the Taylor rule and the historical data, By introducing output gap estimation uncertainty the variance of the target variables increases, and so the reaction of the authority is smaller, Finally, Colombian historical results resemble those of an economy under a Taylor rule with uncertainty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 003309.
Date of creation: 30 Jul 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Juan Manuel Julio & Javier Gómez, 1998. "Output Gap Estimation, Estimation Uncertainty And Its Effect On Policy Rules," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Juan Manuel Julio & Javier Gómez, . "Output Gap Estimation, Estimation Uncertainty and its Effect on Policy Rules," Borradores de Economia 125, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Lars E. O. Svensson, 1998.
"Policy rules for inflation targeting,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Rudebusch, G.D. & Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Policy Rules for Inflation Targeting," Papers 637, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D & Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Policy Rules for Inflation Targeting," CEPR Discussion Papers 1999, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, Lars E.O. & Rudebusch , Glenn, 1998. "Policy Rules for Inflation Targeting," Seminar Papers 637, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Lars E. O. Svensson, 1998. "Policy Rules for Inflation Targeting," NBER Working Papers 6512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Lars E. O. Svensson, 1998. "Policy rules for inflation targeting," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 98-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Frank Smets, 2002.
"Output gap uncertainty: Does it matter for the Taylor rule?,"
Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 113-129.
- Frank Smets, 1998. "Output gap uncertainty: does it matter for the Taylor rule?," BIS Working Papers 60, Bank for International Settlements.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1973. "Some International Evidence on Output-Inflation Tradeoffs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 326-34, June.
- Julio, Juan Manuel & Cobo, Adolfo, 2000. "The Relationship between Wages and Prices in Colombia," MPRA Paper 29069, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 18 Jul 2000.
- Martha Misas A. & Carlos Esteban Posada & Diego Mauricio Vásquez, 2001.
"¿Está Determinado el Nivel de Precios por las Expectativas de Dinero y Producto en Colombia?,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003807, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha Misas A. & Carlos Esteban Posada P & Diego Mauricio Vásquez E, 2003. "¿Está determinado el nivel de precios por las expectativas de dinero y producto en Colombia?," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Martha Misas & Carlos Esteban Posada & Diego Mauricio Vásquez, . "¿Está Determinado el Nivel de Precios por las Expectativas de Dinero y Producto en Colombia?," Borradores de Economia 191, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Manuel Julio, 2001.
"How Uncertain are NAIRU Estimates in Colombia?,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002798, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Andrés González & Sergio Ocampo & Julian Pérez Amaya & Diego Rodríguez, 2012.
"Output gap and Neutral interest measures for Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
726, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andrés González & Segio Ocampo & Julián Pérez & Diego Rodríguez, 2013. "Output Gap and Neutral Interest Measures of Colombia," Monetaria, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 231-286, July-Dece.
- Andrés González & Sergio Ocampo & Julián Pérez & Diego Rodríguez, 2012. "Output gap and Neutral interest measures for Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009870, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha Misas Arango & Enrique López Enciso, 0000.
"Desequilibrios Reales En Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002291, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gloria Lucía Bernal Nisperuza & Johanna Táutiva Pradere, 2008. "Relevancia de los datos en tiempo real en la estimación de la regla de Taylor para Colombia," DOCUMENTOS DE ECONOMÃA 005421, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Gloria Lucía Bernal Nisperuza & Johanna Táutiva Pradere, 2011. "Datos en tiempo real:una aplicación a la regla de taylor en Colombia," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 13(24), pages 373-394, January-J.
- Juan Manuel Julio Román, .
"The Monetary Policy Rule During The Transition To A Stable Level Of Inflation: The Case Of Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
404, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Manuel Julio Román, 2006. "The Monetary Policy Rule During The Transition Toa Stable Lvel Of Inflation: The Case Of Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003613, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Remberto Rhenals & Juan Pablo Saldarriaga, 2008. "An Optimal Taylor Rule for Colombia, 1991-2006," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 69, pages 9-39, Julio-Dic.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norma Judith Paternina).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.