Fairness in education: The Italian university before and after the reform
AbstractIn 2001 the Italian tertiary education system embarked in a broad process of reform. The main novelty brought by the reform was a reduction of the length of study to get a first level degree together with the introduction of a two-years, second level, master degree. This paper aims at studying the effects of the reform in terms of fairness. To this end, we first define fairness criteria following a well developed theory of equality of opportunity, we then discuss existing inequality measures consistent with these criteria, we show their relationship, and adapt them to the educational framework. We finally employ this set of measures to show the evolution of fairness in the access to university in Italy before and after the reform. Although not all fairness measures we estimated show a higher degree of fairness after the reform, the large majority does, suggesting a positive effect of the reform under a vast range of possible definitions of fairness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics of Education Review.
Volume (Year): 31 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/econedurev
Equality of opportunity; Higher education;
Other versions of this item:
- Paolo Brunori & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010. "Fairness in education: The Italian university before and after the reform," Working Papers 175, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Paolo Brunori & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010. "Fairness in education: the Italian university before and after the reform," CHILD Working Papers wp07_10, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2009.
"The "Bologna Process" and college enrollment decisions,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 638-647, December.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2008. "The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions," IZA Discussion Papers 3444, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Claudio Lucifora, 2008. "The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia dell'Impresa e del Lavoro ieil0051, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Marc FLEURBAEY, 1994. "L’absence d’envie dans une problématique “post-welfariste”," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1994011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & SCHOKKAERT, Erik, .
"Unfair inequalities in health and health care,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2141, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- F.D., Waltenberg & V. , Vandenberghe, 2005.
"What Does it Take to Achieve Equality of Opportunity in Education ? An Empirical Investigation Based on Brazilian Data,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2005055, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Waltenberg, Fabio D. & Vandenberghe, Vincent, 2007. "What does it take to achieve equality of opportunity in education?: An empirical investigation based on Brazilian data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 709-723, December.
- Fabio D. Waltenberg & Vincent Vandenberghe, 2006. "What Does It Take To Achieve Equality Of Opportunity In Education? An Empirical Investigation Based On Brazilian Data," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 89, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Julian R. Betts & Laurel L. McFarland, 1995. "Safe Port in a Storm: The Impact of Labor Market Conditions on Community College Enrollments," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(4), pages 741-765.
- Peragine, Vitorocco, 2002. "Opportunity egalitarianism and income inequality," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 45-64, September.
- Arnaud LEFRANC, Nicolas PISTOLESI, Alain TRANNOY, 2009.
"Equality of opportunity and luck: De nitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France,"
THEMA Working Papers
2009-01, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Lefranc, Arnaud & Pistolesi, Nicolas & Trannoy, Alain, 2009. "Equality of opportunity and luck: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(11-12), pages 1189-1207, December.
- Di Pietro, Giorgio & Cutillo, Andrea, 2008. "Degree flexibility and university drop-out: The Italian experience," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 546-555, October.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & Checchi, Daniele & de Blasio, Guido, 2008.
"Does the Expansion of Higher Education Increase the Equality of Educational Opportunities? Evidence from Italy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3361, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Massimiliano Bratti & Daniele Checchi & Guido de Blasio, 2008. "Does the Expansion of Higher Education Increase the Equality of Educational Opportunities? Evidence from Italy," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(s1), pages 53-88, 06.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Daniele Checchi & Guido de Blasio, 2008. "Does the expansion of higher education increase the equality of educational opportunities? Evidence from Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 679, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Xavier Ramos & Dirk Van de gaer, 2012.
"Empirical Approaches to Inequality of Opportunity: Principles, Measures, and Evidence,"
wpdea1208, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Ramos, Xavi & Van de gaer, Dirk, 2012. "Empirical Approaches to Inequality of Opportunity: Principles, Measures, and Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 6672, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Xavier Ramos & Dirk Van de gaer, 2012. "Empirical approaches to inequality of opportunity: Principles, measures, and evidence," Working Papers 259, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- RAMOS, Xavier & VAN DE GAER, Dirk, 2012. "Empirical approaches to inequality of opportunity: principles, measures, and evidence," CORE Discussion Papers 2012026, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- X. Ramos & D. Van De Gaer, 2012. "Empirical Approaches to Inequality of Opportunity: Principles, Measures, and Evidence," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/792, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Italy," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 429-450, December.
- Massimiliano BRATTI & Chiara BROCCOLINI & Stefano STAFFOLANI, 2007. "Mass Tertiary Education, Higher Education Standard and University Reform: A Theoretical Analysis," Working Papers 277, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 2012.
"Fairness, Responsibility, and Welfare,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199653591.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Vito Peragine, 2013.
"Ex Ante Versus Ex Post Equality of Opportunity,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 80(317), pages 118-130, 01.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux, 2011.
"The Measurement Of Inequality Of Opportunity: Theory And An Application To Latin America,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(4), pages 622-657, December.
- Ferreira , Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie, 2008. "The measurement of inequality of opportunity : theory and an application to Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4659, The World Bank.
- Paolo Brunori & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2013. "The Bologna Process and Fairness in University Education: Evidence from Italy," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(2), pages 19-22, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.