Degree flexibility and university drop-out: The Italian experience
AbstractHow to reduce university drop-out is a topic of increasing concern. Although several measures have been the subject of numerous debates, little attention has been given to those impacting on the duration, structure and content of the supply of university education. This paper looks at the Italian experience to see what can be learnt about the effectiveness of these measures. In 2001, the Italian university system embarked on a process of reform that introduced greater flexibility in the degree programme structure along with a wider range of services offered to students. Employing a decomposition analysis, we find that this reform is associated with changes in student behaviour leading to a decline in drop-out risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics of Education Review.
Volume (Year): 27 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/econedurev
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandy, Jonathan & Gonzalez, Arturo & Hilmer, Michael J., 2006. "Alternative paths to college completion: Effect of attending a 2-year school on the probability of completing a 4-year degree," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 463-471, October.
- Wiji Arulampalam & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2004. "A hazard model of the probability of medical school drop-out in the UK," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 167(1), pages 157-178.
- Audrey Light & Wayne Strayer, 2000. "Determinants of College Completion: School Quality or Student Ability?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(2), pages 299-332.
- Jeremy P. Smith & Robin A. Naylor, 2001. "Dropping out of university: A statistical analysis of the probability of withdrawal for UK university students," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 164(2), pages 389-405.
- Giorgio Di Pietro, 2004. "The determinants of university dropout in Italy: a bivariate probability model with sample selection," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 187-191.
- G. Boero & T. Laureti & R. Naylor, 2005. "An econometric analysis of student withdrawal and progression in post-reform Italian Universities," Working Paper CRENoS 200504, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Giorgio Pietro, 2013.
"Military conscription and university enrolment: evidence from Italy,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 619-644, April.
- Di Pietro, Giorgio, 2009. "Military Conscription and University Enrolment: Evidence from Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 4212, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:ese:iserwp:2008-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrea Cammelli, 2012. "Consolidamento ed eterogeneità nelle esperienze di studio dei laureati italiani," Working Papers 49, AlmaLaurea Inter-University Consortium.
- Paolo Brunori & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010.
"Fairness in education: The Italian university before and after the reform,"
175, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Brunori, Paolo & Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2012. "Fairness in education: The Italian university before and after the reform," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 764-777.
- Paolo Brunori & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010. "Fairness in education: the Italian university before and after the reform," CHILD Working Papers wp07_10, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Claudio Lucifora, 2008.
"The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions,"
DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia dell'Impresa e del Lavoro
ieil0051, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2009. "The "Bologna Process" and college enrollment decisions," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 638-647, December.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Lucifora, Claudio, 2008. "The "Bologna Process" and College Enrolment Decisions," IZA Discussion Papers 3444, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mühlenweg, Andrea M., 2010. "Teaching, organization, and personal problems: Evidence from reforming tertiary education in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-040, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Paolo Brunori & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2013. "The Bologna Process and Fairness in University Education: Evidence from Italy," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 11(2), pages 19-22, 07.
- Oppedisano, Veruska, 2011.
"The (adverse) effects of expanding higher education: Evidence from Italy,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 997-1008, October.
- Veruska Oppedisano, 2009. "The (Adverse) Effects of Expanding Higher Education: Evidence from Italy," Working Papers 200945, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Carmen Aina, 2010. "The Determinants of Educational Attainment, University Drop-out and Time-to-Degree. A focus on Italy," Working Papers 132, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Paolo Buonanno & Dario Pozzoli, 2007. "Risk Aversion and College Subject," Working Papers 0707, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
- Horacio Matos-Díaz, 2009. "Determinantes de las tasas universitarias de graduación, retención y deserción en Puerto Rico: Un estudio de Caso," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.