Petit précis de politique budgétaire par tous les temps. Les multiplicateurs budgétaires au cours du cycle
AbstractThe economic and financial crisis has given way to Keynesian fiscal policy. To avoid a collapse of economic and financial system, all OECD countries have implemented recovery plans. Even if the uncertainty regarding the recovery is high, time is now, in most countries, for the adoption of fiscal consolidation policies. After reviewing the various evaluations of fiscal multipliers in economic literature, according to the method and instrument used, we make our own assessments. Our contribution is to take into account the economic situation of the country. A positive fiscal impulse will have a different impact depending on the activity that the economy is at the bottom or top of the cycle. In the case of fiscal stimulus on top of the cycle, the inflationary impact gradually cancels positive effects of this policy. Conversely, this same policy led down cycle will be permanently effective: it is not inflationary, lowering the structural unemployment with actual unemployment. JEL Classification codes: C13, C22, E12, E24, E32.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue de l'OFCE.
Volume (Year): n° 116 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-de-l-ofce.htm
macroeconometric model; economic cycle; NAIRU; fiscal policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Plaidoyer pour un pacte de croissance : beaucoup de bruit pour cacher un désaccord persistant
by laurence-df in OFCE le blog on 2012-05-02 14:15:57
- Plea for a growth pact: the sound and fury hiding a persistent disagreement
by laurence-df in OFCE le blog on 2012-05-03 16:16:20
- Moins daustérité = plus de croissance et moins de chômage
by laurence-df in OFCE le blog on 2012-05-21 13:34:29
- Less austerity = more growth and less unemployment
by laurence-df in OFCE le blog on 2012-05-23 10:12:36
- Quelle est la taille du multiplicateur budgÃ©taire ?
by ? in D'un champ l'autre on 2014-01-17 21:59:00
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/f4rshpf3v1umfa09la925h1i9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Xavier Timbeau & Christophe Blot & Marion Cochard & Bruno Ducoudre & Eric Heyer & Catherine Mathieu & Hervé Péléraux & Mathieu Plane & Christine Rifflart & Danielle Schweisguth & Amel Falah & Céli, 2012. "La débacle de l'austérité: perspectives économiques 2012 2013 pour l'économie mondiale," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/f4rshpf3v1u, Sciences Po.
- Marion Cochard & Mathieu Plane & Danielle Schweisguth, 2013. "PIB, déficit, dette, chômage : où vont les économies à moyen terme," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/7o52iohb7k6, Sciences Po.
- Christophe Blot & Marion Cochard & Jérôme Creel & Bruno Ducoudre & Danielle Schweisguth & Xavier Timbeau, 2014. "Fiscal consolidation in times of crisis: is the sooner really the better?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2g7mhju69b9, Sciences Po.
- Jérôme Creel & Paul Hubert & Francesco Saraceno,, 2013.
"Assessing future sustainability of french public finances,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2013-11, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Jérôme Creel & Paul Hubert & Francesco Saraceno, 2013. "Assessing future sustainability of french public finances," Sciences Po publications 2013-11, Sciences Po.
- Truger, Achim, 2013. "Austerity in the Euro area: The sad state of economic policy in Germany and the EU," IPE Working Papers 22/2013, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute for International Political Economy (IPE).
- Christophe Blot & Marion Cochard & JÃ©rÃ´me Creel & Bruno DucoudrÃ© & Danielle Schweisguth & Xavier Timbeau, 2014. "Is There an Alternative Strategy for Reducing Public Debt by 2032?," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 61(1), pages 39-57, Februar.
- G. Cléaud & M. Lemoine & P.-A. Pionnier, 2013.
"Which size and evolution of the government expenditure multiplier in France (1980-2010)?,"
Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE
g2013-15, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
- Cléaud, G. & Lemoine, M. & Pionnier, P.-A., 2013. "Which size and evolution of the government expenditure multiplier in France (1980-2010)?," Working papers 469, Banque de France.
- Xavier Timbeau, 2012. "La débâcle de l'austérité: Perspectives 2012-2013," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/f4rshpf3v1u, Sciences Po.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/7o52iohb7k6srk09n2p9k74a8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eric Heyer, 2011.
"The effectiveness of economic policy and position in the cycle: the case of tax reductions on overtime in France,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 364-379.
- Eric Heyer, 2011. "The effectiveness of economic policy and position in the cycle The case of tax reductions on overtime in France," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2011-09, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Eric Heyer, 2011. "The effectiveness of economic policy and position in the cycle: The case of tax reductions on overtime in France," Sciences Po publications 2011-09, Sciences Po.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/7o52iohb7k6srk09n09hk8ojo is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/f4rshpf3v1umfa09l92ah01s1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Creel, Jérôme & Hubert, Paul & Saraceno, Francesco, 2012. "The European Fiscal Compact: A Counterfactual Assessment," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 27, pages 537-563.
- Xavier Timbeau, 2013. "Le commencement de la déflation : perspectives 2013-2014," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/7o52iohb7k6, Sciences Po.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.