Politique budgétaire et dynamique économique en France. L'approche var structurel
AbstractIn order to estimate the effectiveness of fiscal policy in France, we estimate a structural var inspired by Blanchard and Perotti . In accordance with most large macroeconometric models, the paper testifies to the macroeconomic effectiveness of a structural increase in public spending in the short run (multiplier close to 1.4) which, beyond its mechanical impact on aggregate demand, stimulates private consumption and investment. In the same way, the estimated effect of a structural increase in taxes on output is negative, mainly because of a decrease in private consumption; however, this response is small (multiplier close to ?0.1 only) and significant only in the very short run, even if this result depends on the specific tax under consideration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue économique.
Volume (Year): 56 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-economique.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tenhofen, Jörn & Wolff, Guntram B., 2007. "Does anticipation of government spending matter? Evidence from an expectation augmented VAR," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2007,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ricardo M. Sousa & António Afonso, 2009.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Fiscal Policy in Portugal: a Bayesian SVAR Analysis,"
NIPE Working Papers
3/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- António Afonso & Ricardo Sousa, 2011. "The macroeconomic effects of fiscal policy in Portugal: a Bayesian SVAR analysis," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 61-82, April.
- António Afonso & Ricardo M. Sousa, 2009. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Fiscal Policy in Portugal: a Bayesian SVAR Analysis," Working Papers Department of Economics 2009/09, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Cléaud, G. & Lemoine, M. & Pionnier, P.-A., 2013.
"Which size and evolution of the government expenditure multiplier in France (1980-2010)?,"
469, Banque de France.
- G. Cléaud & M. Lemoine & P.-A. Pionnier, 2013. "Which size and evolution of the government expenditure multiplier in France (1980-2010)?," Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE g2013-15, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
- Sebastian Gechert, 2013. "What fiscal policy is most effective? A Meta Regression Analysis," IMK Working Paper 117-2013, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- von Kalckreuth, Ulf & Wolff, Guntram B., 2007. "Testing for contemporary fiscal policy discretion with real time data," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2007,24, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Athanasios O. Tagkalakis, 2013. "Discretionary fiscal policy and economic activity in Greece," Working Papers 169, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.