Social Science & Medicine
2006, Volume 63, Issue 8
- 2191-2203 A community-based participatory research study of multifaceted in-home environmental interventions for pediatric asthmatics in public housing
by Levy, Jonathan I. & Brugge, Doug & Peters, Junenette L. & Clougherty, Jane E. & Saddler, Shawnette S.
- 2204-2217 Social capital, the miniaturisation of community, traditionalism and first time acute myocardial infarction: A prospective cohort study in southern Sweden
by Ali, Sadiq M. & Merlo, Juan & Rosvall, Maria & Lithman, Thor & Lindström, Martin
- 2218-2227 Workplace conflict resolution and the health of employees in the Swedish and Finnish units of an industrial company
by Hyde, Martin & Jappinen, Paavo & Theorell, Tores & Oxenstierna, Gabriel
- 2228-2241 Religious involvement and health outcomes among older persons in Taiwan
by Yeager, D.M. & Glei, Dana A. & Au, Melanie & Lin, Hui-Sheng & Sloan, Richard P. & Weinstein, Maxine
- 2242-2254 The influence of economic development level, household wealth and maternal education on child health in the developing world
by Boyle, Michael H. & Racine, Yvonne & Georgiades, Katholiki & Snelling, Dana & Hong, Sungjin & Omariba, Walter & Hurley, Patricia & Rao-Melacini, Purnima
2006, Volume 63, Issue 7
- 1700-1710 Determinants of variation in the cost of inpatient stays versus outpatient visits in hospitals: A multi-country analysis
by Adam, Taghreed & Evans, David B.
- 1711-1719 The influence of child abuse on the pattern of expenditures in women's adult health service utilization in Ontario, Canada
by Tang, Betty & Jamieson, Ellen & Boyle, Michael & Libby, Anne & Gafni, Amiram & MacMillan, Harriet
- 1720-1731 Health care costs in the last year of life--The Dutch experience
by Polder, Johan J. & Barendregt, Jan J. & van Oers, Hans
- 1732-1744 Are health services protecting the livelihoods of the urban poor in Sri Lanka? Findings from two low-income areas of Colombo
by Russell, Steven & Gilson, Lucy
- 1745-1756 Gender differences in the management of risk factors for cardiovascular disease: The importance of insurance status
by Murasko, Jason E.
- 1757-1770 The influence of health insurance on hospital admission and length of stay--The case of Vietnam
by Sepehri, Ardeshir & Simpson, Wayne & Sarma, Sisira
- 1771-1783 The drive for legitimation in Australian naturopathy: Successes and dilemmas
by Baer, Hans A.
- 1784-1795 Nurses in alternative health care: Integrating medical paradigms
by Shuval, Judith
- 1796-1810 The changing context of Western European healthcare systems: Convergence versus divergence in nursing problematics
by Spitzer, Ada & Camus, Didier & Desaulles, Cécile & Kuhne, Nicolas
- 1811-1824 The impact of context on evidence utilization: A framework for expert groups developing health policy recommendations
by Dobrow, Mark J. & Goel, Vivek & Lemieux-Charles, Louise & Black, Nick A.
- 1825-1835 Vaccine independence, local competences and globalisation: Lessons from the history of pertussis vaccines
by Blume, Stuart & Zanders, Mariska
- 1836-1845 Does decentralisation improve human resource management in the health sector? A case study from China
by Liu, Xiaoyun & Martineau, Tim & Chen, Lieping & Zhan, Shaokang & Tang, Shenglan
- 1846-1856 A prospective study of stage of change for general health promotion action and health-related lifestyle practices among Chinese adults
by Lam, Tai-Hing & Chan, Brandford H.Y. & Chan, Steve K.K. & Leung, Gabriel M. & Ho, S.Y. & Chan, W.M.
- 1857-1869 Perspectives on polio and immunization in Northern Nigeria
by Renne, Elisha
- 1870-1878 Factors associated with the use of maternity services in Enugu, southeastern Nigeria
by Onah, Hyacinth Eze & Ikeako, Lawrence C. & Iloabachie, Gabriel C.
- 1879-1888 Brazilian mothers' knowledge about home dangers and safety precautions: An initial evaluation
by de Castro Ribas, Rodolfo Jr. & Tymchuk, Alexander J. & Ribas, Adriana F.P.
- 1889-1899 Applying psychological theory to evidence-based clinical practice: Identifying factors predictive of taking intra-oral radiographs
by Bonetti, Debbie & Pitts, Nigel B. & Eccles, Martin & Grimshaw, Jeremy & Johnston, Marie & Steen, Nick & Glidewell, Liz & Thomas, Ruth & Maclennan, Graeme & Clarkson, Jan E. & Walker, Anne
- 1900-1911 Illness beliefs in schizophrenia
by Kinderman, Peter & Setzu, Erika & Lobban, Fiona & Salmon, Peter
- 1912-1922 Comparative stigma of HIV/AIDS, SARS, and Tuberculosis in Hong Kong
by Mak, Winnie W.S. & Mo, Phoenix K.H. & Cheung, Rebecca Y.M. & Woo, Jean & Cheung, Fanny M. & Lee, Dominic
- 1923-1933 'Telling the truth is the best thing': Teenage orphans' experiences of parental AIDS-related illness and bereavement in Zimbabwe
by Wood, Kate & Chase, Elaine & Aggleton, Peter
- 1934-1946 Experience of miscarriage in the UK: Qualitative findings from the National Women's Health Study
by Simmons, Rebecca K. & Singh, Gita & Maconochie, Noreen & Doyle, Pat & Green, Judith
- 1947-1959 Are genetic tests exceptional? Lessons from a qualitative study on thrombophilia
by Saukko, Paula M. & Richards, Suzanne H. & Shepherd, Maggie H. & Campbell, John L.
- 1960-1971 DSM-IV and dangerous and severe personality disorder--an essay
by Manning, Nick
2006, Volume 63, Issue 6
- 1415-1427 Self-reported health, perceived racial discrimination, and skin color in African Americans in the CARDIA study
by Borrell, Luisa N. & Kiefe, Catarina I. & Williams, David R. & Diez-Roux, Ana V. & Gordon-Larsen, Penny
- 1428-1441 Racism and health: The relationship between experience of racial discrimination and health in New Zealand
by Harris, Ricci & Tobias, Martin & Jeffreys, Mona & Waldegrave, Kiri & Karlsen, Saffron & Nazroo, James
- 1442-1453 Individual versus neighborhood socioeconomic status and race as predictors of adolescent ambulatory blood pressure and heart rate
by McGrath, Jennifer J. & Matthews, Karen A. & Brady, Sonya S.
- 1454-1465 County and organizational predictors of depression symptoms among low-income nursing assistants in the USA
by Muntaner, Carles & Li, Yong & Xue, Xiaonan & Thompson, Theresa & Chung, HaeJoo & O'Campo, Patricia
- 1466-1476 Social environment and depression among pregnant women in urban areas of Pakistan: Importance of social relations
by Kazi, Ambreen & Fatmi, Zafar & Hatcher, Juanita & Kadir, Muhammad Masood & Niaz, Unaiza & Wasserman, Gail A.
- 1477-1488 Mental health, quality of life, and nutritional status of adolescents in Dhaka, Bangladesh: Comparison between an urban slum and a non-slum area
by Izutsu, Takashi & Tsutsumi, Atsuro & Islam, Akramul Md. & Kato, Seika & Wakai, Susumu & Kurita, Hiroshi
- 1489-1502 Endogenous social capital and self-rated health: Cross-sectional data from rural areas of Madagascar
by Sirven, Nicolas
- 1503-1516 Family food insufficiency is related to overweight among preschoolers'
by Dubois, Lise & Farmer, Anna & Girard, Manon & Porcherie, Marion
- 1517-1530 Nutritional status and spousal empowerment among native Amazonians
by Godoy, Ricardo A. & Patel, Ankur & Reyes-García, Victoria & Seyfried, Craig Jr. & Leonard, William R. & McDade, Thomas & Tanner, Susan & Vadez, Vincent
- 1531-1545 Getting a piece of the pie? The economic boom of the 1990s and declining teen birth rates in the United States
by Colen, Cynthia G. & Geronimus, Arline T. & Phipps, Maureen G.
- 1546-1549 Young mothers and smoking: evidence of an evidence gap
by McDermott, Elizabeth & Graham, Hilary
- 1550-1560 Rethinking the biological clock: Eleventh-hour moms, miracle moms and meanings of age-related infertility
by Friese, Carrie & Becker, Gay & Nachtigall, Robert D.
- 1561-1572 Women's health in mid-life: Life course social roles and agency as quality
by McMunn, Anne & Bartley, Mel & Kuh, Diana
- 1573-1585 Is chronic widespread pain biographically disruptive?
by Richardson, Jane C. & Ong, Bie Nio & Sim, Julius
- 1586-1596 Potency and vulnerability: Troubled 'selves' in the context of antiretroviral therapy
by Persson, Asha & Newman, Christy
- 1597-1601 Injectable diclofenac: A painful shot into Iran's health system
by Cheraghali, A. Majid
- 1602-1613 How does social comparison within a self-help group influence adjustment to chronic illness? A longitudinal study
by Dibb, Bridget & Yardley, Lucy
- 1614-1624 Changes in finding benefit after cancer surgery and the prediction of well-being one year later
by Schwarzer, Ralf & Luszczynska, Aleksandra & Boehmer, Sonja & Taubert, Steffen & Knoll, Nina
- 1625-1636 The influence of significant others in complementary and alternative medicine decisions by cancer patients
by Öhlén, Joakim & Balneaves, Lynda G. & Bottorff, Joan L. & Brazier, Alison S.A.
- 1637-1647 Users' perceptions of health care reforms: Quality of care and patient rights in four regions in the Russian Federation
by Fotaki, Marianna
- 1648-1660 Global review of health care surveys using lot quality assurance sampling (LQAS), 1984-2004
by Robertson, Susan E. & Valadez, Joseph J.
- 1661-1670 Investigating the sustainability of outcomes in a chronic disease treatment programme
by Bailie, Ross S. & Robinson, Gary & Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan, Srinivas N. & Halpin, Stephen & Wang, Zhiqiang
- 1671-1683 Predicting and comparing patient satisfaction in four different modes of health care across a nation
by Bikker, Annemieke P. & Thompson, Andrew G.H.
- 1684-1698 Verbal prescribing in general practice consultations
by Gibson, Mark & Neil Jenkings, K. & Wilson, Rob & Purves, Ian
2006, Volume 63, Issue 5
- 1121-1134 Using participatory action research to build a priority setting process in a Canadian Regional Health Authority
by Patten, San & Mitton, Craig & Donaldson, Cam
- 1135-1142 Should structural interventions be evaluated using RCTs? The case of HIV prevention
by Bonell, Christopher & Hargreaves, James & Strange, Vicki & Pronyk, Paul & Porter, John
- 1143-1146 Community participation in AIDS vaccine trials: Empowerment or science?
by Swartz, Leslie & Kagee, Ashraf
- 1147-1157 Control and adherence: Living with diabetes in Bangkok, Thailand
by Naemiratch, Bhensri & Manderson, Lenore
- 1158-1169 A typology of preferences for participation in healthcare decision making
by Flynn, Kathryn E. & Smith, Maureen A. & Vanness, David
- 1170-1187 Communicative and strategic action in interpreted consultations in primary health care: A Habermasian perspective
by Greenhalgh, Trisha & Robb, Nadia & Scambler, Graham
- 1188-1200 Understandings of Down's syndrome: A Q methodological investigation
by Bryant, Louise D. & Green, Josephine M. & Hewison, Jenny
- 1201-1212 A root cause analysis of clinical error: Confronting the disjunction between formal rules and situated clinical activity
by Iedema, Roderick Aren Michael & Jorm, Christine & Braithwaite, Jeffrey & Travaglia, Jo & Lum, Martin
- 1213-1224 Social welfare, genetic welfare? Boundary-work in the IVF/PGD clinic
by Ehrich, Kathryn & Williams, Clare & Scott, Rosamund & Sandall, Jane & Farsides, Bobbie
- 1225-1235 Making the normal deviant: The introduction of predictive medicine in life insurance
by Van Hoyweghen, Ine & Horstman, Klasien & Schepers, Rita
- 1236-1245 Adverse selection in a voluntary Rural Mutual Health Care health insurance scheme in China
by Wang, Hong & Zhang, Licheng & Yip, Winnie & Hsiao, William
- 1246-1261 Socioeconomic inequalities in health: A comparative longitudinal analysis using the European Community Household Panel
by Hernández-Quevedo, Cristina & Jones, Andrew M. & López-Nicolás, Angel & Rice, Nigel
- 1262-1266 The close relation between birth, abortion and employment rates in Sweden from 1980 to 2004
by Rahmqvist, Mikael
- 1267-1275 What mediates the inverse association between education and occupational disability from back pain?--A prospective cohort study from the Nord-Trøndelag health study in Norway
by Hagen, Kåre Birger & Tambs, Kristian & Bjerkedal, Tor
- 1276-1288 Psychosocial job characteristics and risk of mortality in a Japanese community-based working population: The Jichi Medical School Cohort Study
by Tsutsumi, Akizumi & Kayaba, Kazunori & Hirokawa, Kumi & Ishikawa, Shizukiyo
- 1289-1303 Racial residential segregation and weight status among US adults
by Chang, Virginia W.
- 1304-1315 Distrust, social fragmentation and adolescents' health in the outer city: Beirut and beyond
by Khawaja, Marwan & Abdulrahim, Sawsan & Soweid, Rima A.Afifi. & Karam, Dima
- 1316-1327 Access to specialized health care for asthmatic children in Norway: The significance of parents' educational background and social network
by Finnvold, Jon Erik
- 1328-1343 'Help, educate, encourage?': Geographical variations in the provision and utilisation of diabetes education in New Zealand
by Ross Barnett, J. & Pearce, Jamie & Howes, Pamela
- 1344-1351 Education and health in 22 European countries
by von dem Knesebeck, Olaf & Verde, Pablo E. & Dragano, Nico
- 1352-1362 Rural habitat and risk of death in small areas of Southern Spain
by Ocaña-Riola, Ricardo & Sánchez-Cantalejo, Carmen & Fernández-Ajuria, Alberto
- 1363-1373 Primary care professionals' perceptions of depression in older people: a qualitative study
by Murray, Joanna & Banerjee, Sube & Byng, Richard & Tylee, Andre & Bhugra, Dinesh & Macdonald, Alastair
- 1374-1382 The longitudinal effects of social support and hostility on depressive tendencies
by Heponiemi, Tarja & Elovainio, Marko & Kivimäki, Mika & Pulkki, Laura & Puttonen, Sampsa & Keltikangas-Järvinen, Liisa
- 1383-1399 Multiple measures of socioeconomic circumstances and common mental disorders
by Lahelma, Eero & Laaksonen, Mikko & Martikainen, Pekka & Rahkonen, Ossi & Sarlio-Lähteenkorva, Sirpa
- 1400-1413 Sex differences in the effect of education on depression: Resource multiplication or resource substitution?
by Ross, Catherine E. & Mirowsky, John
2006, Volume 63, Issue 4
- 843-845 Retaining the meaning of the words religiousness and spirituality: A commentary on the WHOQOL SRPB group's "A cross-cultural study of spirituality, religion, and personal beliefs as components of quality of life" (62: 6, 2005, 1486-1497)
by Moreira-Almeida, Alexander & Koenig, Harold G.
- 846-850 When one's main effect is another's error: Material vs. psychosocial explanations of health disparities. A commentary on Macleod et al., "Is subjective social status a more important determinant of health than objective social status? Evidence from a prospective observational study of Scottish men" (61(9), 2005, 1916-1929)
by Adler, Nancy
- 851-857 Subjective and objective status and health: A response to Adler's "When one's main effect is another's error: Material vs. psychosocial explanations of health disparities. A commentary on Macleod et al., "Is subjective social status a more important determinant of health than objective social status? Evidence from a prospective observational study of Scottish men" (61(9), 2005, 1916-1929) (doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.03.018)
by Macleod, John & Davey Smith, George & Metcalfe, Chris & Hart, Carole
- 858-870 Young people of minority ethnic origin in England and early parenthood: Views from young parents and service providers
by Higginbottom, G.M.A. & Mathers, N. & Marsh, P. & Kirkham, M. & Owen, J.M. & Serrant-Green, L.
- 871-882 What "Dr. Mom" ordered: A community-based exploratory study of parental self-care responses to children's ADHD symptoms
by Bussing, Regina & E Koro-Ljungberg, Mirka & Williamson, Pamela & Gary, Faye A. & Wilson Garvan, Cynthia
- 883-898 Parent communication and child pain and distress during painful pediatric cancer treatments
by Cline, Rebecca J.W. & Harper, Felicity W.K. & Penner, Louis A. & Peterson, Amy M. & Taub, Jeffrey W. & Albrecht, Terrance L.
- 899-910 Determinants of physicians' patient-centred behaviour in the medical specialist encounter
by Zandbelt, Linda C. & Smets, Ellen M.A. & Oort, Frans J. & Godfried, Mieke H. & de Haes, Hanneke C.J.M.
- 911-919 Patients' perceptions of the side-effects of prostate cancer treatment--A qualitative interview study
by Korfage, Ida Joanna & Hak, Tony & de Koning, Harry J. & Essink-Bot, Marie-Louise
- 920-932 Why does it run in families? Explaining family similarity in help-seeking behaviour by shared circumstances, socialisation and selection
by Cardol, Mieke & Groenewegen, Peter P. & Spreeuwenberg, Peter & Van Dijk, Liset & Van Den Bosch, Wil J.H.M. & De Bakker, Dinny H.
- 933-945 Sources of stigma for means-tested government programs
by Stuber, Jennifer & Schlesinger, Mark
- 946-956 Home is where the hearth is: Grant recipients' views of England's Home Energy Efficiency Scheme (Warm Front)
by Gilbertson, Jan & Stevens, Maryjane & Stiell, Bernadette & Thorogood, Nicki
- 957-967 Predictors of improvement in social support: Five-year effects of a structured intervention for caregivers of spouses with Alzheimer's disease
by Drentea, Patricia & Clay, Olivio J. & Roth, David L. & Mittelman, Mary S.
- 968-978 Challenges to microbicide introduction in South Africa
by Orner, Phyllis & Harries, Jane & Cooper, Diane & Moodley, Jennifer & Hoffman, Margaret & Becker, Julie & McGrory, Elizabeth & Dabash, Rasha & Bracken, Hillary
- 979-990 Challenges to HIV prevention in psychiatric settings: Perceptions of South African mental health care providers
by Collins, Pamela Y.
- 991-999 Predicting intended use of voluntary HIV counselling and testing services among Tanzanian teachers using the theory of planned behaviour
by Kakoko, Deodatus Conatus & Åstrøm, A.N. & Lugoe, Wycliffe L. & Lie, Gro T.
- 1000-1010 Local understandings of, and responses to, HIV: Rural-urban migrants in Tanzania
by Coast, Ernestina
- 1011-1022 Social Environment and Physical activity: A review of concepts and evidence
by McNeill, Lorna Haughton & Kreuter, Matthew W. & Subramanian, S.V.
- 1023-1033 The influence of maternal childhood and adulthood social class on the health of the infant
by Gisselmann, Marit Dahlén
- 1034-1044 Individual, neighborhood, and state-level predictors of smoking among US Black women: A multilevel analysis
by Datta, Geetanjali Dabral & Subramanian, S.V. & Colditz, Graham A. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Palmer, Julie R. & Rosenberg, Lynn
- 1045-1059 US state- and county-level social capital in relation to obesity and physical inactivity: A multilevel, multivariable analysis
by Kim, Daniel & Subramanian, S.V. & Gortmaker, Steven L. & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1060-1071 Extending systematic reviews to include evidence on implementation: Methodological work on a review of community-based initiatives to prevent injuries
by Roen, Katrina & Arai, Lisa & Roberts, Helen & Popay, Jennie
- 1072-1083 Borna disease virus: The generation and review of a scientific study
by Wood, Fiona & Bloor, Michael J.
- 1084-1096 'When I first came here, I thought medicine was black and white': Making sense of medical students' ways of knowing
by Knight, Lynn Valerie & Mattick, Karen
- 1097-1108 The problems of offenders with mental disorders: A plurality of perspectives within a single mental health care organisation
by Davies, Jacqueline P. & Heyman, Bob & Godin, Paul M. & Shaw, Monica P. & Reynolds, Lisa
- 1109-1120 Where techno-science meets poverty: Medical research and the economy of blood in The Gambia, West Africa
by Fairhead, James & Leach, Melissa & Small, Mary
2006, Volume 63, Issue 3
- 563-565 Comment on: "Conceptualizing mainstream health care providers' behaviours in relation to complementary and alternative medicine" by Hirschkorn and Bourgeault
by Tovey, P. & Adams, Jon
- 566-574 The relationship between nonstandard working and mental health in a representative sample of the South Korean population
by Kim, Il-Ho & Muntaner, Carles & Khang, Young-Ho & Paek, Domyung & Cho, Sung-Il
- 575-586 The lesser evil: Bad jobs or unemployment? A survey of mid-aged Australians
by Broom, Dorothy H. & D'Souza, Rennie M. & Strazdins, Lyndall & Butterworth, Peter & Parslow, Ruth & Rodgers, Bryan
- 587-592 Mental health problems in women attending district-level services in South Africa
by Pillay, Anthony L. & Kriel, Anita J.
- 593-597 Primary mental health care in rural Punjab, Pakistan: Providers, and user perspectives of the effectiveness of treatments
by Mirza, Ilyas & Mujtaba, Muhammad & Chaudhry, Haroon & Jenkins, Rachel
- 598-610 Adjustment to cancer in the 8 years following diagnosis: A longitudinal study comparing cancer survivors with healthy individuals
by Schroevers, Maya & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Sanderman, Robbert
- 611-623 The pros and cons of social relations: An analysis of adolescents' health complaints
by Brolin Låftman, Sara & Östberg, Viveca
- 624-635 Making sense of eating, weight and risk in the early teenage years: Views and concerns of parents in poorer socio-economic circumstances
by Backett-Milburn, Kathryn C. & Wills, Wendy J. & Gregory, Susan & Lawton, Julia
- 636-648 Psychological distress among adolescents, and its relationship to individual, family and area characteristics in East London
by Fagg, James & Curtis, Sarah & Stansfeld, Stephen & Congdon, Peter
- 649-661 Spaces of sobriety/sites of power: Examining social model alcohol recovery programs as therapeutic landscapes
by Wilton, Robert & DeVerteuil, Geoffrey
- 662-674 What explains the association between neighborhood-level income inequality and the risk of fatal overdose in New York City?
by Nandi, Arijit & Galea, Sandro & Ahern, Jennifer & Bucciarelli, Angela & Vlahov, David & Tardiff, Kenneth
- 675-679 Understanding risk behaviours: How the sociology of deviance may contribute? The case of drug-taking
by Peretti-Watel, Patrick & Moatti, Jean-Paul
- 680-690 Individual and area factors associated with general practitioner integration in Australia: A multilevel analysis
by Dunt, D. & Elsworth, G. & Southern, D. & Harris, C. & Potiriadis, M. & Young, D.
- 691-705 Modelling and understanding primary health care accessibility and utilization in rural South Africa: An exploration using a geographical information system
by Tanser, Frank & Gijsbertsen, Brice & Herbst, Kobus
- 706-721 Migration and maternal health services utilization in rural Guatemala
by Lindstrom, David P & Muñoz-Franco, Elisa
- 722-731 Cultural context and impact of alcohol use in the Sundarban Delta, West Bengal, India
by Chowdhury, Arabinda N. & Ramakrishna, Jayashree & Chakraborty, Ajoy K. & Weiss, Mitchell G.
- 732-742 Symptoms, attitudes and treatment choices surrounding menopause among the Q'eqchi Maya of Livingston, Guatemala
by Michel, Joanna L. & Mahady, Gail B. & Veliz, Mario & Soejarto, Doel D. & Caceres, Armando
- 743-756 European public acceptance of euthanasia: Socio-demographic and cultural factors associated with the acceptance of euthanasia in 33 European countries
by Cohen, Joachim & Marcoux, Isabelle & Bilsen, Johan & Deboosere, Patrick & van der Wal, Gerrit & Deliens, Luc
- 757-775 Clinicians and the governance of hospitals: A cross-cultural perspective on relations between profession and management
by Degeling, Pieter & Zhang, Kai & Coyle, Barbara & Xu, Lingzhong & Meng, Qingyue & Qu, Jiangbin & Hill, Michael
- 776-787 Providers' constructions of the role of women in cervical cancer screening in Bulgaria and Romania
by Todorova, Irina L.G. & Baban, Adriana & Balabanova, Dina & Panayotova, Yulia & Bradley, Janet
- 788-804 The association of subjective social status and health in low-income Mexican-origin individuals in Texas
by Franzini, Luisa & Fernandez-Esquer, Maria Eugenia
- 805-816 Disability pension among immigrants in Sweden
by Österberg, Torun & Gustafsson, Björn
- 817-828 On the dynamics of health capital accumulation
by McCarthy, Robert
- 829-842 Political and welfare state determinants of infant and child health indicators: An analysis of wealthy countries
by Chung, Haejoo & Muntaner, Carles
2006, Volume 63, Issue 2
- 285-295 The relationship between age of menarche and mental distress in Norwegian adolescent girls and girls from different immigrant groups in Norway: Results from an urban city cross-sectional survey
by Lien, Lars & Dalgard, Florence & Heyerdahl, Sonja & Thoresen, Magne & Bjertness, Espen
- 296-306 Adolescent suicide attempters in Hong Kong and the United States
by Stewart, Sunita M. & Felice, Elizabeth & Claassen, Cindy & Kennard, Betsy D. & Lee, Peter W.H. & Emslie, Graham J.
- 307-319 Suicide mortality of Eastern European regions before and after the Communist period
by Mäkinen, Ilkka Henrik
- 320-334 It's good to talk: Adolescent perspectives of an informal, peer-led intervention to reduce smoking
by Audrey, Suzanne & Holliday, Jo & Campbell, Rona
- 335-346 Marital status disparities in maternal smoking during pregnancy, breastfeeding and maternal depression
by Kiernan, Kathleen & Pickett, Kate E.
- 347-358 Vaccination for Group B Streptococcus during pregnancy: Attitudes and concerns of women and health care providers
by Patten, San & Vollman, Ardene Robinson & Manning, Shannon D. & Mucenski, Melissa & Vidakovich, Jeanne & Davies, H. Dele
- 359-372 Does village inequality in modern income harm the psyche? Anger, fear, sadness, and alcohol consumption in a pre-industrial society
by Godoy, Ricardo A. & Reyes-García, Victoria & McDade, Thomas & Huanca, Tomás & Leonard, William R. & Tanner, Susan & Vadez, Vincent
- 373-383 Exit, voice, governance and user-responsiveness: The case of English primary care trusts
by Pickard, Susan & Sheaff, Rod & Dowling, Bernard
- 384-396 The role of law in public health: The case of family planning in the Philippines
by Mello, Michelle Marie & Powlowski, Marcus & Nañagas, Juan M.P. & Bossert, Thomas
- 397-408 Building effective public-private partnerships: Experiences and lessons from the African Comprehensive HIV/AIDS Partnerships (ACHAP)
by Ramiah, Ilavenil & Reich, Michael R.
- 409-417 The scope of naturopathic medicine in Canada: An emerging profession
by Verhoef, Marja J. & Boon, Heather s & Mutasingwa, Donatus R.
- 418-429 "Women do what they want": Islam and permanent contraception in Northern Tanzania
by Krehbiel Keefe, Susi
- 430-445 Socioeconomic inequalities in physical and mental functioning of Japanese civil servants: Explanations from work and family characteristics
by Sekine, Michikazu & Chandola, Tarani & Martikainen, Pekka & Marmot, Michael & Kagamimori, Sadanobu
- 446-456 Socioeconomic inequalities in coronary heart disease in Italy: A multilevel population-based study
by Petrelli, Alessio & Gnavi, Roberto & Marinacci, Chiara & Costa, Giuseppe
- 457-464 State-level variations in income-related inequality in health and health achievement in the US
by Xu, Ke Tom
- 465-484 The "Americanisation" of migrants: Evidence for the contribution of ethnicity, social deprivation, lifestyle and life-course processes to the mid-20th century Coronary Heart Disease epidemic in the US
by Kelleher, C.C. & Lynch, J.W. & Daly, L. & Harper, S. & Fitz-simon, N. & Bimpeh, Y. & Daly, E. & Ulmer, H.
- 485-500 Community unemployment and immigrants' health in Montreal
by Zunzunegui, Maria-Victoria & Forster, Mathieu & Gauvin, Lise & Raynault, Marie-France & Douglas Willms, J.
- 501-511 Dwellings, crowding, and tuberculosis in Montreal
by Wanyeki, Ian & Olson, Sherry & Brassard, Paul & Menzies, Dick & Ross, Nancy & Behr, Marcel & Schwartzman, Kevin
- 512-524 The effect of medical experience on the economic evaluation of health policies. A discrete choice experiment
by Araña, Jorge E. & León, Carmelo J. & Quevedo, Jose L.
- 525-539 Impact of the timing, type and severity of disability on the subjective well-being of individuals with disabilities
by Uppal, Sharanjit
- 540-551 Loyalties in clinical research on drugs: The case of hormone replacement therapy
by Palmlund, Ingar
- 552-562 Physicians' difficulty with emergency department patients is related to patients' attachment style
by Maunder, Robert G. & Panzer, Annie & Viljoen, Margaretha & Owen, Johanna & Human, Schalk & Hunter, Jonathan J.
2006, Volume 63, Issue 1
- 1-20 What is the preimplantation embryo?
by Krones, Tanja & Schlüter, Elmar & Neuwohner, Elke & El Ansari, Susan & Wissner, Thomas & Richter, Gerd
- 21-31 Chance, choice and control: Lay debate on prenatal social sex selection
by Scully, Jackie Leach & Banks, Sarah & Shakespeare, Tom W.
- 32-42 The best experts: The narratives of those who have a genetic condition
by Petersen, Alan
- 43-53 Personal meanings in the construction of need for total knee replacement surgery
by Toye, Francine M. & Barlow, Julie & Wright, Chris & Lamb, Sarah E.
- 54-63 Sleep, health and the dynamics of biomedicine
by Moreira, Tiago
- 64-75 How social context impacts on women's fears of childbirth: A Western Australian example
by Fisher, Colleen & Hauck, Yvonne & Fenwick, Jenny
- 76-88 Out of the dissecting room: News media portrayal of human anatomy teaching and research
by Regan de Bere, Sam & Petersen, Alan
- 89-102 Are we expecting too much from print media? An analysis of newspaper coverage of the 2002 Canadian healthcare reform debate
by Collins, Patricia A. & Abelson, Julia & Pyman, Heather & Lavis, John N.
- 103-106 Influence of education and knowledge on perceptions and practices to control malaria in Southeast Nigeria
by Dike, Nkem & Onwujekwe, Obinna & Ojukwu, Juliana & Ikeme, Arthur & Uzochukwu, Benjamin & Shu, Elvis
- 107-117 Does prenatal care increase access to child immunization? Gender bias among children in India
by Choi, Jin Young & Lee, Sang-Hyop
- 118-122 Social support and self-rated health revisited:: Is there a gender difference in later life?
by Cheng, Sheung-Tak & Chan, Alfred C.M.
- 123-136 Changes in family financial circumstances and the physical health of married and recently divorced mothers
by Wickrama, K.A.S. & Lorenz, Frederick O. & Conger, Rand D. & Elder, Glen Jr & Todd Abraham, W. & Fang, Shu-Ann
- 137-150 Ethnic identity, resettlement stress and depressive affect among Southeast Asian refugees in Canada
by Beiser, Morton N.M.N. & Hou, Feng
- 151-164 Do religious/spiritual coping strategies affect illness adjustment in patients with cancer? A systematic review of the literature
by Thuné-Boyle, Ingela C. & Stygall, Jan A. & Keshtgar, Mohammed R. & Newman, Stanton P.
- 165-178 The health of nations in a global context: Trade, global stratification, and infant mortality rates
by Moore, Spencer & Teixeira, Ana C. & Shiell, Alan
- 179-188 From rhetoric to reality: Barriers faced by Health For All initiatives
by Berkeley, Dina & Springett, Jane
- 189-199 Regulatory objectivity and the generation and management of evidence in medicine
by Cambrosio, Alberto & Keating, Peter & Schlich, Thomas & Weisz, George
- 200-211 Centralized drug review processes: Are they fair?
by Mitton, Craig R. & McMahon, Meghan & Morgan, Steve & Gibson, Jennifer
- 212-224 Advocacy coalitions and pharmacy policy in Denmark--Solid cores with fuzzy edges
by Larsen, Jakob Bjerg & Vrangbæk, Karsten & Traulsen, Janine M.
- 225-238 The pervasiveness of pharmaceutical expenditure inertia in the OECD countries
by Okunade, Albert A. & Suraratdecha, Chutima
- 239-254 Association between gross domestic product throughout the life course and old-age mortality across birth cohorts: Parallel analyses of seven European countries, 1950-1999
by Janssen, Fanny & Kunst, Anton E. & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 255-270 Social relations or social capital? Individual and community health effects of bonding social capital
by Poortinga, Wouter
- 271-283 Rethinking John Snow's South London study: A Bayesian evaluation and recalculation
by Koch, Thomas & Denike, Kenneth
2006, Volume 62, Issue 12
- 2917-2929 Physical violence by husbands: Magnitude, disclosure and help-seeking behavior of women in Bangladesh
by Naved, Ruchira Tabassum & Azim, Safia & Bhuiya, Abbas & Persson, Lars Åke
- 2930-2944 Challenges to the reproductive-health needs of African women: On religion and maternal health utilization in Ghana
by Gyimah, Stephen Obeng & Takyi, Baffour K. & Addai, Isaac
- 2945-2959 "I thought it was only ordinary fever!" cultural knowledge and the micropolitics of therapy seeking for childhood febrile illness in Tanzania
by Kamat, Vinay R.
- 2960-2972 Beyond paradigm: Making transcultural connections in a scientific translation of acupuncture
by Kim, Jongyoung
- 2973-2987 Variations in provider conceptions of integrative medicine
by Hsiao, An-Fu & Ryan, Gery W. & Hays, Ronald D. & Coulter, Ian D. & Andersen, Ronald M. & Wenger, Neil S.
- 2988-2997 Racializing narratives: Obesity, diabetes and the "Aboriginal" thrifty genotype
by Fee, Margery
- 2998-3010 The role of education in the uptake of preventative health care: The case of cervical screening in Britain
by Sabates, Ricardo & Feinstein, Leon
- 3011-3023 'It's only a blood test': What people know and think about venepuncture and blood
by Pfeffer, Naomi & Laws, Sophie
- 3024-3034 Age perceptions and physical activity among middle-aged men in three occupational groups
by Wandel, Margareta & Roos, Gun
- 3035-3047 Putting at risk what we know: Reflecting on the drug-using subject in harm reduction and its political implications
by Moore, David & Fraser, Suzanne
- 3048-3061 Time in the United States, social support and health behaviors during pregnancy among women of Mexican descent
by Harley, Kim & Eskenazi, Brenda
- 3062-3071 Alcohol outlets, gonorrhea, and the Los Angeles civil unrest: A longitudinal analysis
by Cohen, Deborah A. & Ghosh-Dastidar, Bonnie & Scribner, Richard & Miu, Angela & Scott, Molly & Robinson, Paul & Farley, Thomas A. & Bluthenthal, Ricky N. & Brown-Taylor, Didra
- 3072-3083 Perceptions of social capital and the built environment and mental health
by Araya, Ricardo & Dunstan, Frank & Playle, Rebecca & Thomas, Hollie & Palmer, Stephen & Lewis, Glyn
- 3084-3095 Public and private domains of religiosity and adolescent smoking transitions
by Nonnemaker, James & McNeely, Clea A & Blum, Robert Wm
- 3096-3108 Men's constructions of smoking in the context of women's tobacco reduction during pregnancy and postpartum
by Bottorff, Joan L. & Oliffe, John & Kalaw, Cecilia & Carey, Joanne & Mroz, Lawrence
- 3109-3120 Physical activity and depressive symptoms in cardiac rehabilitation: Long-term effects of a self-management intervention
by Scholz, Urte & Knoll, Nina & Sniehotta, Falko F. & Schwarzer, Ralf
- 3121-3132 Before and after the 1999 Chi-Chi earthquake: Traumatic events and depressive symptoms in an older population
by Seplaki, Christopher L. & Goldman, Noreen & Weinstein, Maxine & Lin, Yu-Hsuan
- 3133-3145 Meaning-making intervention during breast or colorectal cancer treatment improves self-esteem, optimism, and self-efficacy
by Lee, Virginia & Robin Cohen, S. & Edgar, Linda & Laizner, Andrea M. & Gagnon, Anita J.
- 3146-3156 Predicting physical activity intention and behaviour among children in a longitudinal sample
by Rhodes, Ryan E. & Macdonald, Heather M. & McKay, Heather A.
- 3157-3160 Where does the waiting list begin? A short review of the dynamics and organization of modern waiting lists
by Rotstein, Dalia L. & Alter, David A.
- 3161-3176 Exposure to indoor air pollution from household energy use in rural China: The interactions of technology, behavior, and knowledge in health risk management
by Jin, Yinlong & Ma, Xiao & Chen, Xining & Cheng, Yibin & Baris, Enis & Ezzati, Majid
- 3177-3185 Social health insurance in a developing country: The case of the Philippines
by Obermann, Konrad & Jowett, Matthew R. & Alcantara, Maria Ofelia O. & Banzon, Eduardo P. & Bodart, Claude
- 3186-3196 The geography of self-injury: Spatial patterns in attempted and completed suicide
by Hempstead, Katherine
2006, Volume 62, Issue 11
- 2613-2620 Introduction: Gift horse or Trojan horse? Social science perspectives on evidence-based health care
by Lambert, Helen & Gordon, Elisa J. & Bogdan-Lovis, Elizabeth A.
- 2621-2632 On evidence and evidence-based medicine: Lessons from the philosophy of science
by Goldenberg, Maya J.
- 2633-2645 Accounting for EBM: Notions of evidence in medicine
by Lambert, Helen
- 2646-2657 The role of evidence in alternative medicine: Contrasting biomedical and anthropological approaches
by Barry, Christine Ann
- 2658-2669 Of spineless babies and folic acid: Evidence and efficacy in biomedicine and ayurvedic medicine
by Naraindas, Harish
- 2670-2680 What evidence, whose evidence?: Physical therapy in New York State's clinical practice guideline and in the lives of mothers of disabled children
by Landsman, Gail H.