Social Science & Medicine
January 2009, Volume 68, Issue 2
- 362-367 A note on the nature of utility in time and health and implications for cost utility analysis
by Buckingham, Ken J. & Devlin, Nancy Joy
- 368-379 How reliable are surveys of client satisfaction with healthcare services? Evidence from matched facility and household data in Madagascar
by Glick, Peter
- 380-389 The spreading of suicidal behavior: The contextual effect of community household poverty on adolescent suicidal behavior and the mediating role of suicide suggestion
by Bernburg, Jon Gunnar & Thorlindsson, Thorolfur & Sigfusdottir, Inga D.
- 390-395 Moving beyond "the Down Low": A critical analysis of terminology guiding HIV prevention efforts for African American men who have secretive sex with men
by Saleh, Lena Denise & Operario, Don
January 2009, Volume 68, Issue 1
- 1-8 Visualizing sexual assault: An exploration of the use of optical technologies in the medico-legal context
by White, Deborah & Du Mont, Janice
- 9-11 A comment on White and Du Mont's "Visualizing sexual assault: An exploration of the use of optical technologies in the medico-legal contact"
by Tjaden, Patricia
- 12-20 HIV prevention risks for Black women in Canada
by Williams, Charmaine C. & Newman, Peter A. & Sakamoto, Izumi & Massaquoi, Notisha A.
- 21-29 Polygyny and women's health in sub-Saharan Africa
by Bove, Riley & Valeggia, Claudia
- 30-38 Health-related stigma among women with lymphatic filariasis from the Dominican Republic and Ghana
by Person, Bobbie & Bartholomew, L. Kay & Gyapong, Margaret & Addiss, David G. & van den Borne, Bart
- 39-48 Is the crime drop of the 1990s in Canada and the USA associated with a general decline in risky and health-related behavior?
by Mishra, Sandeep & Lalumière, Martin
- 49-59 A multi-group cross-lagged analyses of work stressors and health using Canadian National sample
by Ibrahim, S. & Smith, P. & Muntaner, C.
- 60-68 Reciprocal relations between effort-reward imbalance at work and adverse health: A three-wave panel survey
by Shimazu, Akihito & de Jonge, Jan
- 69-79 Evaluation of a peer network intervention trial among young methamphetamine users in Chiang Mai, Thailand
by Sherman, Susan G. & Sutcliffe, Catherine & Srirojn, Bangorn & Latkin, Carl A. & Aramratanna, Apinun & Celentano, David D.
- 80-88 The impact of support network substitution on low-income women's health: Are minor children beneficial substitutes?
by Mickelson, Kristin D. & Demmings, Jessica L.
- 89-99 Children's delayed development and behavior problems: Impact on mothers' perceived physical health across early childhood
by Eisenhower, Abbey Severance & Baker, Bruce L. & Blacher, Jan
- 100-110 Neighborhood effects on birthweight: An exploration of psychosocial and behavioral pathways in Baltimore, 1995-1996
by Schempf, Ashley & Strobino, Donna & O'Campo, Patricia
- 111-123 From Kindergarten readiness to fourth-grade assessment: Longitudinal analysis with linked population data
by Lloyd, Jennifer E.V. & Hertzman, Clyde
- 124-132 A multilevel analysis of the effects of neighbourhood income inequality on individual self-rated health in Hong Kong
by Wong, Irene O.L. & Cowling, Benjamin J. & Lo, Su-Vui & Leung, Gabriel M.
- 133-142 The flip-side of social capital: The distinctive influences of trust and mistrust on health in rural China
by Wang, Hongmei & Schlesinger, Mark & Wang, Hong & Hsiao, William C.
- 143-153 Tangible evidence, trust and power: Public perceptions of community environmental health studies
by Scammell, Madeleine Kangsen & Senier, Laura & Darrah-Okike, Jennifer & Brown, Phil & Santos, Susan
- 154-168 "Medication career" or "Moral career"? The two sides of managingÂ antidepressants: A meta-ethnography of patients' experienceÂ of antidepressants
by Malpass, Alice & Shaw, Alison & Sharp, Debbie & Walter, Fiona & Feder, Gene & Ridd, Matthew & Kessler, David
- 169-176 'If it almost kills you that means it's working!' Cultural models of chemotherapy expressed in a cancer support group
by Bell, Kirsten
- 177-182 Attitudes of Arab and Jewish patients toward integration of complementary medicine in primary care clinics in Israel: A cross-cultural study
by Ben-Arye, Eran & Karkabi, Khaled & Karkabi, Sonia & Keshet, Yael & Haddad, Maria & Frenkel, Moshe
- 183-191 Patients' perceptions of research in emergency settings: A study of survivors of sudden cardiac death
by Dickert, Neal W. & Kass, Nancy E.
- 192-200 Evidence-based healthcare in practice: A study of clinician resistance, professional de-skilling, and inter-specialty differentiation in oncology
by Broom, Alex & Adams, Jon & Tovey, Philip
December 2008, Volume 67, Issue 12
- 1935-1943 Social assets and mental distress among the homeless: Exploring the roles of social support and other forms of social capital on depression
by Irwin, Jay & LaGory, Mark & Ritchey, Ferris & Fitzpatrick, Kevin
- 1944-1950 Social comparison of distress and mental health help-seeking in the US general population
by Mojtabai, Ramin
- 1951-1958 Personal and neighborhood socioeconomic status and indices of neighborhood walk-ability predict body mass index in New York City
by Rundle, Andrew & Field, Sam & Park, Yoosun & Freeman, Lance & Weiss, Christopher C. & Neckerman, Kathryn
- 1959-1969 Self-rated health and trust in low-income Mexican-origin individuals in Texas
by Franzini, Luisa
- 1970-1981 The inverse hazard law: Blood pressure, sexual harassment, racial discrimination, workplace abuse and occupational exposures in US low-income black, white and Latino workers
by Krieger, Nancy & Chen, Jarvis T. & Waterman, Pamela D. & Hartman, Cathy & Stoddard, Anne M. & Quinn, Margaret M. & Sorensen, Glorian & Barbeau, Elizabeth M.
- 1982-1994 Is precarious employment damaging to self-rated health? Results of propensity score matching methods, using longitudinal data in South Korea
by Kim, Myoung-Hee & Kim, Chang-yup & Park, Jin-Kyung & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1995-2006 Studying place effects on health by synthesising individual and area-level outcomes
by Jackson, Christopher H. & Richardson, Sylvia & Best, Nicky G.
- 2007-2016 A small-area index of socioeconomic deprivation to capture health inequalities in France
by Havard, Sabrina & Deguen, Séverine & Bodin, Julie & Louis, Karine & Laurent, Olivier & Bard, Denis
- 2017-2026 Social participation and healthy ageing: An international comparison using SHARE data
by Sirven, Nicolas & Debrand, Thierry
- 2027-2035 Payments for health care and its effect on catastrophe and impoverishment: Experience from the transition to Universal Coverage in Thailand
by Somkotra, Tewarit & Lagrada, Leizel P.
- 2036-2042 Do Mexican immigrants substitute health care in Mexico for health insurance in the United States? The role of distance
by Brown, Henry Shelton
- 2043-2050 Convergent validity between a discrete choice experiment and a direct, open-ended method: Comparison of preferred attribute levels and willingness to pay estimates
by Marjon van der Pol & Shiell, Alan & Au, Flora & Johnston, David & Tough, Suzanne
- 2051-2058 Who is hurt by procyclical mortality?
by Edwards, Ryan
- 2059-2062 Examining the impact of federally-funded syphilis elimination activities in the USA
by Chesson, Harrell & Owusu-Edusei Jr., Kwame
- 2063-2071 Empowering interventions in health and social care: Recognition through 'ecologies of practice'
by Fisher, Pamela & Owen, Jenny
- 2072-2078 The evolving concept of health literacy
by Nutbeam, Don
- 2079-2088 Does narrative information bias individual's decision making? A systematic review
by Winterbottom, Anna & Bekker, Hilary L. & Conner, Mark & Mooney, Andrew
- 2089-2097 Making sense of suicide: A discourse analysis of young people's talk about suicidal subjecthood
by Roen, Katrina & Scourfield, Jonathan & McDermott, Elizabeth
- 2098-2106 Changing the knowledge base in Western herbal medicine
by Evans, Sue
- 2107-2115 Social rank and adult male nutritional status: Evidence of the social gradient in health from a foraging-farming society
by Reyes-García, Victoria & McDade, Thomas W. & Molina, Jose Luis & Leonard, William R. & Tanner, Susan N. & Huanca, Tomas & Godoy, Ricardo
- 2116-2125 Water insecurity and emotional distress: Coping with supply, access, and seasonal variability of water in a Bolivian squatter settlement
by Wutich, Amber & Ragsdale, Kathleen
- 2126-2134 Antiretroviral therapy in Zambia: Colours, 'spoiling', 'talk' and the meaning of antiretrovirals
by Schumaker, Lynette Louise & Bond, Virginia A.
December 2008, Volume 67, Issue 11
- 1641-1649 Early accounts of Gulf War illness and the construction of narratives in UK service personnel
by Cohn, Simon & Dyson, Clare & Wessely, S.
- 1650-1653 The institutional context of Gulf War illness claims: A commentary on Cohn, Dyson and Wessely
by Shriver, Thomas & Cable, Sherry
- 1654-1656 Contextualising Gulf War illness experience: A response to Shriver and Cable
by Wessely, Simon & Cohn, Simon
- 1657-1668 Widening health inequalities among U.S. military retirees since 1974
by Edwards, Ryan
- 1669-1678 Seeing the forest and the trees: Using network analysis to develop an organizational blueprint of state tobacco control systems
by Harris, Jenine K. & Luke, Douglas A. & Burke, Ryan C. & Mueller, Nancy B.
- 1679-1689 Health promotion research and practice require sound policy analysis models: The case of Quebec's Tobacco Act
by Breton, Eric & Richard, Lucie & Gagnon, France & Jacques, Marie & Bergeron, Pierre
- 1690-1699 Tobacco industry attempts to counter the World Bank report curbing the epidemic and obstruct the WHO framework convention on tobacco control
by Mamudu, Hadii M. & Hammond, Ross & Glantz, Stanton
- 1700-1707 A randomized trial evaluating tobacco possession-use-purchase laws in the USA
by Jason, Leonard A. & Pokorny, Steven B. & Adams, Monica
- 1708-1716 Smoking behaviours in a remote Australian Indigenous community: The influence of family and other factors
by Johnston, Vanessa & Thomas, David P.
- 1717-1726 The relationship between alcohol consumption and self-reported health status using the EQ5D: Evidence from rural Australia
by Petrie, Dennis & Doran, Chris & Shakeshaft, Anthony & Sanson-Fisher, Rob
- 1727-1736 Modifiable health risk factors and medical expenditures - The case of Taiwan
by Lin, Tsui-Fang
- 1737-1746 Scientific resistance to research, training and utilization of eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy in treating post-war disorders
by Russell, Mark C.
- 1747-1756 The fetal tissue economy: From the abortion clinic to the stem cell laboratory
by Kent, Julie
- 1757-1765 Representativeness, legitimacy and power in public involvement in health-service management
by Martin, Graham P.
- 1766-1775 Family structure differences in health care utilization among U.S. children
by Gorman, Bridget K. & Braverman, Jennifer
- 1776-1783 General practitioners' experiences and understandings of diagnosing dementia: Factors impacting on early diagnosis
by Hansen, Emily C. & Hughes, Clarissa & Routley, Georgina & Robinson, Andrew L.
- 1784-1788 Doctors' strikes and mortality: A review
by Cunningham, Solveig Argeseanu & Mitchell, Kristina & Venkat Narayan, K.M. & Yusuf, Salim
- 1789-1797 Situated/being situated: Client and co-worker roles of family caregivers in hospice palliative care
by Stajduhar, Kelli I. & Nickel, Dawn D. & Martin, Wanda L. & Funk, Laura
- 1798-1806 Integrating the nurturer-trainer roles: Parental and behavior/symptom management processes for mothers of children with autism
by Tsai, Wen-Che & Tsai, Jia-Ling & Lotus Shyu, Yea-Ing
- 1807-1816 Claiming power through hardship: Initiation narratives of Palestinian traditional women healers in Israel
by Popper-Giveon, Ariela & Ventura, Jonathan
- 1817-1825 "She'll be right"? National identity explanations for poor sexual health statistics in Aotearoa/New Zealand
by Braun, Virginia
- 1826-1836 "So, are you back to work yet?" Re-conceptualizing 'work' and 'return to work' in the context of primary bone cancer
by Parsons, Janet A. & Eakin, Joan M. & Bell, Robert S. & Franche, Renée-Louise & Davis, Aileen M.
- 1837-1846 Understanding, embracing, rejecting: Women's negotiations of disability constructions and categorizations after becoming chronically ill
by Crooks, Valorie A. & Chouinard, Vera & Wilton, Robert D.
- 1847-1851 Cerebral implants and Parkinson's disease: A unique form of biographical disruption?
by Gisquet, Elsa
- 1852-1860 Patient race and physicians' decisions to prescribe opioids for chronic low back pain
by Burgess, Diana Jill & Crowley-Matoka, Megan & Phelan, Sean & Dovidio, John F. & Kerns, Robert & Roth, Craig & Saha, Somnath & van Ryn, Michelle
- 1861-1869 Putting cognitive psychology to work: Improving decision-making in the medical encounter
by Schwab, Abraham P.
- 1870-1881 The contribution of occupational factors to social inequalities in health: Findings from the national French SUMER survey
by Niedhammer, Isabelle & Chastang, Jean-François & David, Simone & Kelleher, Cecily
- 1882-1888 Leaving Las Vegas: Exposure to Las Vegas and risk of suicide
by Wray, Matt & Miller, Matthew & Gurvey, Jill & Carroll, Joanna & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1889-1897 Male-female differences in the association between socioeconomic status and atherosclerotic risk in adolescents
by Murasko, Jason E.
- 1898-1906 Are Educational Differences in U.S. Self-Rated Health Increasing?: An Examination by Gender and Race
by Liu, Hui & Hummer, Robert A.
- 1907-1916 Change in reciprocity as a predictor of depressive symptoms: A prospective cohort study of Finnish women and men
by Väänänen, Ari & Buunk, Abraham P. & Kivimäki, Mika & Vahtera, Jussi & Koskenvuo, Markku
- 1917-1923 Associations between physical activity, perceptions of the neighbourhood environment and access to facilities in an English city
by Panter, Jenna R. & Jones, Andrew P.
- 1924-1933 International return mobility, learning and knowledge transfer: A case study of Slovak doctors
by Williams, Allan M. & Baláz, Vladimir
November 2008, Volume 67, Issue 10
- 1481-1491 When there is no doctor: Reasons for the disappearance of primary careÂ physicians in the US during the early 21st century
by McKinlay, John & Marceau, Lisa
- 1492-1496 Oh look, there is a doctor after all: About the resilience of professional medicine: A Commentary on McKinlay and Marceau's 'When there is no doctor'
by Timmermans, Stefan
- 1497-1501 The blindness of those who will not see: On the replacement of primary care doctors in the 21st century. A response to Timmermans
by Marceau, Lisa & McKinlay, John B.
- 1502-1511 Do physicians care about patient choice?
by Winblad, Ulrika
- 1512-1520 Constructing a European healthcare market: The private healthcare company Capio and the strategic aspect of the drive for transparency
by Blomgren, Maria & Sundén, Eva
- 1521-1529 Impact of maternity unit closures on access to obstetrical care: The French experience between 1998 and 2003
by Pilkington, Hugo & Blondel, Béatrice & Carayol, Marion & Breart, Gérard & Zeitlin, Jennifer
- 1530-1540 Behind the scenes in health care improvement: The complex structures and emergent strategies of Implementation Science
by Sobo, Elisa J. & Bowman, Candice & Gifford, Allen L.
- 1541-1549 Stigma in the workplace: Employer attitudes about people with HIV in Beijing, Hong Kong, and Chicago
by Rao, Deepa & Angell, Beth & Lam, Chow & Corrigan, Patrick
- 1550-1558 Crossing two types of implementation intentions with a protection motivation intervention for the reduction of saturated fat intake: A randomized trial
by Prestwich, Andrew & Ayres, Karen & Lawton, Rebecca
- 1559-1570 Can social capital be intentionally generated? A randomized trial from rural South Africa
by Pronyk, Paul M. & Harpham, Trudy & Busza, Joanna & Phetla, Godfrey & Morison, Linda A. & Hargreaves, James R. & Kim, Julia C. & Watts, Charlotte H. & Porter, John D.
- 1571-1579 Imperial or postcolonial governance? Dissecting the genealogy of a global public health strategy
by Brown, Tim & Bell, Morag
- 1580-1588 Race, populations, and genomics: Africa as laboratory
by Braun, Lundy & Hammonds, Evelynn
- 1589-1595 Risk for post-traumatic stress disorder associated with different forms of interpersonal violence in South Africa
by Kaminer, Debra & Grimsrud, Anna & Myer, Landon & Stein, Dan J. & Williams, David R.
- 1596-1603 Long-term effects of organized violence on young Middle Eastern refugees' mental health
by Montgomery, Edith
- 1604-1611 Social context as an explanation for race disparities in hypertension: Findings from the Exploring Health Disparities in Integrated Communities (EHDIC) Study
by Thorpe Jr., Roland J. & Brandon, Dwayne T. & LaVeist, Thomas A.
- 1612-1629 Environmental inequity in England: Small area associations between socio-economic status and environmental pollution
by Briggs, David & Abellan, Juan J. & Fecht, Daniela
- 1630-1640 Gender-specific responses to social determinants associated with self-perceived health in Taiwan: A multilevel approach
by Chen, Duan-Rung & Chang, Ly-Yun & Yang, Meng-Li
November 2008, Volume 67, Issue 9
- 1341-1342 Changes at Social Science & Medicine
by Annandale, Ellen
- 1343-1355 Media campaigns to promote smoking cessation among socioeconomically disadvantaged populations: What do we know, what do we need to learn, and what should we do now?
by Niederdeppe, Jeff & Kuang, Xiaodong & Crock, Brittney & Skelton, Ashley
- 1356-1358 Examining the evidence base of mass media campaigns for socially disadvantaged populations: What do we know, what do we need to learn, and what should we do now? A commentary on Niederdeppe's article
by Fagan, Pebbles
- 1359-1360 Critical steps in building the evidence base regarding media campaign effects on disadvantaged populations: A response to Fagan
by Niederdeppe, Jeff & Kuang, Xiaodong & Crock, Brittney & Skelton, Ashley
- 1361-1369 Carrier matching and collective socialization in community genetics: Dor Yeshorim and the reinforcement of stigma
by Raz, Aviad E. & Vizner, Yafa
- 1370-1381 An uncertain revolution: Why the rise of a genetic model of mental illness has not increased tolerance
by Schnittker, Jason
- 1382-1390 'Avoiding harm to others' considerations in relation to parental measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccination discussions - An analysis of an online chat forum
by Skea, Zoë C. & Entwistle, Vikki A. & Watt, Ian & Russell, Elizabeth
- 1391-1399 How are patient characteristics relevant for physicians' clinical decision making in diabetes? An analysis of qualitative results from a cross-national factorial experiment
by Lutfey, Karen E. & Campbell, Stephen M. & Renfrew, Megan R. & Marceau, Lisa D. & Roland, Martin & McKinlay, John B.
- 1400-1409 Clinical relationships tested by iatrogenicity: The case of haemophiliac patients faced with the epidemic of transfusional AIDS
by Fillion, Emmanuelle
- 1410-1422 Ethnicity and utilization of family physicians: A case study of Mainland Chinese immigrants in Toronto, Canada
by Wang, Lu & Rosenberg, Mark & Lo, Lucia
- 1423-1433 Social support, material circumstance and health behaviour: Influences on health in First Nation and Inuit communities of Canada
by Richmond, Chantelle A.M. & Ross, Nancy A.
- 1434-1446 Using in-depth qualitative data to enhance our understanding of quantitative results regarding the impact of HIV and AIDS on households in rural Uganda
by Seeley, Janet & Biraro, Samuel & Shafer, Leigh Anne & Nasirumbi, Pamela & Foster, Susan & Whitworth, Jimmy & Grosskurth, Heiner
- 1447-1455 Sex, drugs, and HIV: Rapid assessment of HIV risk behaviors among street-based drug using sex workers in Durban, South Africa
by Needle, Richard & Kroeger, Karen & Belani, Hrishikesh & Achrekar, Angeli & Parry, Charles D. & Dewing, Sarah
- 1456-1464 Marital and cohabitation status as predictors of mortality: A 10-year follow-up of an Italian elderly cohort
by Scafato, Emanuele & Galluzzo, Lucia & Gandin, Claudia & Ghirini, Silvia & Baldereschi, Marzia & Capurso, Antonio & Maggi, Stefania & Farchi, Gino & for the ILSA Working Group
- 1465-1474 Illness representations and coping following an abnormal colorectalÂ cancer screening result
by Orbell, Sheina & O'Sullivan, Ian & Parker, Ron & Steele, Bob & Campbell, Christine & Weller, David
- 1475-1479 Modeling the mental health effects of victimization among homeless persons
by Perron, Brian Edward & Alexander-Eitzman, Ben & Gillespie, David F. & Pollio, David
October 2008, Volume 67, Issue 8
- 1199-1207 Post-traumatic stress and psychiatric disorders in Palestinian adolescents following intifada-related injuries
by Khamis, Vivian
- 1208-1216 The psychological impact of the Israel-Hezbollah War on Jews and Arabs in Israel: The impact of risk and resilience factors
by Palmieri, Patrick A. & Canetti-Nisim, Daphna & Galea, Sandro & Johnson, Robert J. & Hobfoll, Stevan E.
- 1217-1224 Understanding adjustment following traumatic brain injury: Is the Goodness-of-Fit coping hypothesis useful?
by Kendall, Elizabeth & Terry, Deborah J.
- 1225-1235 HIV-related stigma: Adapting a theoretical framework for use in India
by Steward, Wayne T. & Herek, Gregory M. & Ramakrishna, Jayashree & Bharat, Shalini & Chandy, Sara & Wrubel, Judith & Ekstrand, Maria L.
- 1236-1246 Community factors affecting rising caesarean section rates in developing countries: An analysis of six countries
by Leone, Tiziana & Padmadas, Sabu S. & Matthews, Zoë
- 1247-1257 Socioeconomic domains and associations with preterm birth
by Messer, Lynne C. & Vinikoor, Lisa C. & Laraia, Barbara A. & Kaufman, Jay S. & Eyster, Janet & Holzman, Claudia & Culhane, Jennifer & Elo, Irma & Burke, Jessica G. & O'Campo, Patricia
- 1258-1268 Does place explain racial health disparities? Quantifying the contribution of residential context to the Black/white health gap in the United States
by Do, D. Phuong & Finch, Brian Karl & Basurto-Davila, Ricardo & Bird, Chloe & Escarce, Jose & Lurie, Nicole
- 1269-1281 Recent changes in the geography of social disparities in premature mortality in Québec
by Pampalon, Robert & Hamel, Denis & Gamache, Philippe
- 1282-1290 Is caring associated with an increased risk of mortality? A longitudinal study
by O'Reilly, Dermot & Connolly, Sheelah & Rosato, Michael & Patterson, Chris
- 1291-1299 Life sustaining irritations? Relationship quality and mortality in the context of chronic illness
by Birditt, Kira & Antonucci, Toni C.
- 1300-1310 Differential effect of birthplace and length of residence on body mass index (BMI) by education, gender and race/ethnicity
by Sanchez-Vaznaugh, Emma V. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V. & Sánchez, Brisa N. & Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores
- 1311-1320 Kidney disease and the cumulative burden of life course socioeconomic conditions: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study
by Shoham, David A. & Vupputuri, Suma & Kaufman, Jay S. & Kshirsagar, Abhijit V. & Diez Roux, Ana V. & Coresh, Josef & Heiss, Gerardo
- 1321-1330 Gender differences in relationships between social capital and individual smoking and drinking behavior in Taiwan
by Chuang, Ying-Chih & Chuang, Kun-Yang
- 1331-1339 Test of the 'healthy migrant hypothesis': A longitudinal analysis of health selectivity of internal migration in Indonesia
by Lu, Yao
October 2008, Volume 67, Issue 7
- 1047-1055 The habitus of hygiene: Discourses of cleanliness and infection control in nursing work
by Brown, Brian & Crawford, Paul & Nerlich, Brigitte & Koteyko, Nelya
- 1056-1064 Is my sick child healthy? Is my healthy child sick?: Changing parental experiences of cystic fibrosis in the age of expanded newborn screening
by Grob, Rachel
- 1065-1073 Are drug treatment services only for 'thieving junkie scumbags'? Drug users and the management of stigmatised identities
by Radcliffe, Polly & Stevens, Alex
- 1074-1082 Weaving meaning? An exploration of the interplay between lay and professional understandings of cervical cancer risk
by Armstrong, Natalie & Murphy, Elizabeth
- 1083-1093 'I really tried': Management of normative issues in accounts ofÂ responsesÂ to infertility
by de Kok, Bregje Christina & Widdicombe, Sue
- 1094-1103 Forty days and forty nights: A biocultural perspective on postpartum practices in the Amazon
by Piperata, Barbara Ann
- 1104-1112 The social construction of surrogacy research: An anthropological critique of the psychosocial scholarship on surrogate motherhood
by Teman, Elly
- 1113-1121 Older people's views of a good death in heart failure: Implications for palliative care provision
by Gott, M. & Small, Neil & Barnes, Sarah & Payne, Sheila & Seamark, David
- 1122-1132 Assessing the effectiveness of interventions to promote advance directives among older adults: A systematic review and multi-level analysis
by Bravo, Gina & Dubois, Marie-France & Wagneur, Bernard
- 1133-1142 Discourses of disease, discourses of disadvantage: A critical analysis of National Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Plans
by Garoon, Joshua P. & Duggan, Patrick S.
- 1143-1152 Where there's a will, is there a way?: Is New Zealand's publicly funded health sector able to steer towards population health?
by Tenbensel, Tim & Cumming, Jacqueline & Ashton, Toni & Barnett, Pauline
- 1153-1163 Family practice: Professional identity in transition. A case study of family medicine in Canada
by Beaulieu, Marie-Dominique & Rioux, Marc & Rocher, Guy & Samson, Louise & Boucher, Laurier
- 1164-1172 Evaluating the impact of eligibility for free care on the use of general practitioner (GP) services: A difference-in-difference matching approach
by Nolan, Anne
- 1173-1182 Dynamic process of adverse selection: Evidence from a subsidized community-based health insurance in rural China
by Zhang, Licheng & Wang, Hong
- 1183-1189 Insurance covered and non-covered complementary and alternative medicine utilisation among adults in Taiwan
by Shih, Shu-Fang & Lew-Ting, Chih-Yin & Chang, Hsing-Yi & Kuo, Ken N.
- 1190-1198 Welfarism, extra-welfarism and capability: The spread of ideas in health economics
by Coast, Joanna & Smith, Richard D. & Lorgelly, Paula
September 2008, Volume 67, Issue 6
- 891-899 Small area inequalities in health: Are we underestimating them?
by Stafford, Mai & Duke-Williams, Oliver & Shelton, Nicola
- 900-914 Do poorer people have poorer access to local resources and facilities? The distribution of local resources by area deprivation in Glasgow, Scotland
by Macintyre, Sally & Macdonald, Laura & Ellaway, Anne
- 915-927 Individual factors explain neighbourhood variations in accidents to children under 5 years of age
by Reading, Richard & Jones, Andrew & Haynes, Robin & Daras, Konstantinos & Emond, Alan
- 928-937 Cancer survival in New Zealand: Ethnic, social and geographical inequalities
by Haynes, Robin & Pearce, Jamie & Barnett, Ross
- 938-946 Creating intoxigenic environments: Marketing alcohol to young people in Aotearoa New Zealand
by McCreanor, Tim & Barnes, Helen Moewaka & Kaiwai, Hector & Borell, Suaree & Gregory, Amanda
- 947-955 Is the duration of poverty and unemployment a risk factor for heavy drinking?
by Mossakowski, Krysia N.
- 956-964 Going ill to work - What personal circumstances, attitudes and work-related factors are associated with sickness presenteeism?
by Hansen, Claus D. & Andersen, Johan H.
- 965-970 The impact of systematic occupational health and safety management for occupational disorders and long-term work attendance
by Dellve, Lotta & Skagert, Katrin & Eklöf, Mats
- 971-981 Relationship of socioeconomic status to C-reactive protein and arterial stiffness in urban Japanese civil servants
by Saijo, Yasuaki & Yoshioka, Eiji & Fukui, Tomonori & Kawaharada, Mariko & Kishi, Reiko
- 982-987 Do social comparisons explain the association between income inequality and health?: Relative deprivation and perceived health among male and female Japanese individuals
by Kondo, Naoki & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V. & Takeda, Yasuhisa & Yamagata, Zentaro
- 988-1001 Explaining gender differences in ill-health in South Korea: The roles of socio-structural, psychosocial, and behavioral factors
by Chun, Heeran & Khang, Young-Ho & Kim, Il-Ho & Cho, Sung-Il
- 1002-1008 Informal and formal care for elderly persons: How adult children's characteristics affect the use of formal care in Japan
by Hanaoka, Chie & Norton, Edward C.
- 1009-1017 How important are individual, household and commune characteristics in explaining utilization of maternal health services in Vietnam?
by Sepehri, Ardeshir & Sarma, Sisira & Simpson, Wayne & Moshiri, Saeed
- 1018-1027 Understanding a collaborative effort to reduce racial and ethnic disparities in health care: Contributions from social network analysis
by Gold, Marsha & Doreian, Patrick & Taylor, Erin Fries
- 1028-1037 Doing' public health and 'making' public health practitioners: Putting policy into practice in 'Starting Well
by Mackenzie, Mhairi
- 1038-1045 An exploration of food intolerance in the primary care setting: The general practitioner's experience
by Nelson, Mia & Ogden, Jane
September 2008, Volume 67, Issue 5
- 685-695 Ethics and the ethnography of medical research in Africa
by Molyneux, Sassy & Geissler, P. Wenzel
- 696-707 'He is now like a brother, I can even give him some blood' - Relational ethics and material exchanges in a malaria vaccine 'trial community' in The Gambia
by Geissler, P. Wenzel & Kelly, Ann & Imoukhuede, Babatunde & Pool, Robert
- 708-720 Taking social relationships seriously: Lessons learned from the informed consent practices of a vaccine trial on the Kenyan Coast
by Gikonyo, Caroline & Bejon, Philip & Marsh, Vicki & Molyneux, Sassy
- 721-733 Beginning community engagement at a busy biomedical research programme: Experiences from the KEMRI CGMRC-Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kilifi, Kenya
by Marsh, Vicki & Kamuya, Dorcas & Rowa, Yvonne & Gikonyo, Caroline & Molyneux, Sassy
- 734-747 Promoting the social value of research in Kenya: Examining the practical aspects of collaborative partnerships using an ethical framework
by Lairumbi, Geoffrey Mbaabu & Molyneux, Sassy & Snow, Robert W. & Marsh, Kevin & Peshu, Norbert & English, Mike
- 748-759 The interface between research and policy: Experience from South Africa
by Gilson, Lucy & McIntyre, Di
- 760-770 The research, policy and practice interface: Reflections on using applied social research to promote equity in health in Malawi
by Theobald, Sally & Nhlema-Simwaka, Bertha
- 771-779 Ethical dilemmas of social science research on AIDS and orphanhood in Western Kenya
by Nyambedha, Erick Otieno
- 780-789 "I know he controls cancer": The meanings of religion among Black Caribbean and White British patients with advanced cancer
by Koffman, Jonathan & Morgan, Myfanwy & Edmonds, Polly & Speck, Peter & Higginson, Irene J.
- 790-798 HIV/AIDS-related stigma and discrimination: Accounts of HIV-positive Caribbean people in the United Kingdom
by Anderson, Moji & Elam, Gillian & Gerver, Sarah & Solarin, Ijeoma & Fenton, Kevin & Easterbrook, Philippa
- 799-807 Vulnerability, gender and "proxy negativity": Women in relationships with HIV-positive men in Australia
by Persson, Asha & Richards, Wendy
- 808-816 The weaker sex? Exploring lay understandings of gender differences in life expectancy: A qualitative study
by Emslie, Carol & Hunt, Kate
- 817-823 Seeking refuge from violence in street-based drug scenes: Women's experiences in North America's first supervised injection facility
by Fairbairn, Nadia & Small, Will & Shannon, Kate & Wood, Evan & Kerr, Thomas
- 824-833 Racial disparity in bacterial vaginosis: the role of socioeconomic status, psychosocial stress, and neighborhood characteristics, and possible implications for preterm birth
by Paul, Kathleen & Boutain, Doris & Manhart, Lisa & Hitti, Jane
- 834-843 Caring for independent lives: Geographies of caring for young adults with intellectual disabilities
by Power, Andrew
- 844-853 Coping with the Asian tsunami: Perspectives from Tamil Nadu, India on the determinants of resilience in the face of adversity
by Rajkumar, Anto P. & Premkumar, Titus S. & Tharyan, Prathap
- 854-862 The persistent problem of malaria: Addressing the fundamental causes of a global killer
by Stratton, Leeanne & O'Neill, Marie S. & Kruk, Margaret E. & Bell, Michelle L.
- 863-873 BCG vaccination and WHO's global strategy for tuberculosis control 1948-1983
by Brimnes, Niels
- 874-882 Valuing the ICECAP capability index for older people
by Coast, Joanna & Flynn, Terry N. & Natarajan, Lucy & Sproston, Kerry & Lewis, Jane & Louviere, Jordan J. & Peters, Tim J.
- 883-889 Comparison of two methods of eliciting time preference for future health states
by van der Pol, Marjon & Cairns, John
August 2008, Volume 67, Issue 4
- 487-496 Determinants of provider choice for malaria treatment: Experiences from The Gambia
by Wiseman, Virginia & Scott, Anthony & Conteh, Lesong & McElroy, Brendan & Stevens, Warren
- 497-504 Differences in influence patterns between groups predicting the adoption of a solar disinfection technology for drinking water in Bolivia
by Moser, Stephanie & Mosler, Hans-Joachim
- 505-510 Should we have confidence if a physician is accredited? A study of the relative impacts of accreditation and insurance payments on quality of care in the Philippines
by Quimbo, Stella A. & Peabody, John W. & Shimkhada, Riti & Woo, Kimberly & Solon, Orville
- 511-519 Health costs from short-term exposure to pesticides in Nepal
by Atreya, Kishor
- 520-528 Interaction of working conditions, job satisfaction, and sickness absences: Evidence from a representative sample of employees
by Böckerman, Petri & Ilmakunnas, Pekka
- 529-539 The association of major depressive episodes with income inequality and the human development index
by Cifuentes, Manuel & Sembajwe, Grace & Tak, SangWoo & Gore, Rebecca & Kriebel, David & Punnett, Laura
- 540-545 Predictors of female worker attitudes towards menstruation and the provision of help to institutionalized women with intellectual disabilities in Taiwan
by Chou, Yueh-Ching & Lu, Zxy-yann J. & Pu, Cheng-yun & Lan, Chung-Fu
- 546-556 Perceptions of medical interactions between healthcare providers and American Indian older adults
by Garroutte, Eva Marie & Sarkisian, Natalia & Goldberg, Jack & Buchwald, Dedra & Beals, Janette
- 557-567 The effects of harassment and victimization on self-rated health and mental health among Canadian adolescents
by Abada, Teresa & Hou, Feng & Ram, Bali
- 568-582 Actual or potential neighborhood resources and access to them: Testing hypotheses of social capital for the health of female caregivers
by Carpiano, Richard M.
- 583-589 Caregivers' experiences of caring for a husband with Parkinson's disease and psychotic symptoms
by Williamson, Caroline & Simpson, Jane & Murray, Craig D.
- 590-605 Health in China and India: A cross-country comparison in a context of rapid globalisation
by Dummer, Trevor J.B. & Cook, Ian G.
- 606-617 Social capital and self-rated health: Results from the US 2006 social capital survey of one community
by Schultz, Jennifer & O'Brien, A. Maureen & Tadesse, Bedassa
- 618-627 The impact of over-the-counter availability of "Plan B" on teens' contraceptive decision making
by Krishnamurti, Tamar & Eggers, Sara L. & Fischhoff, Baruch
- 628-637 Effectiveness of web-based education on Kenyan and Brazilian adolescents' knowledge about HIV/AIDS, abortion law, and emergency contraception: Findings from TeenWeb
by Halpern, Carolyn Tucker & Mitchell, Ellen M.H. & Farhat, Tilda & Bardsley, Phil
- 638-646 Religious treatments for drug addiction: An exploratory study in Brazil
by Sanchez, Zila van der Meer & Nappo, Solange A.
- 647-656 Dying cancer patients talk about euthanasia
by Eliott, Jaklin A. & Olver, Ian N.
- 657-665 Beliefs about common health problems and work: A qualitative study
by Barnes, Maria Carla & Buck, Rhiannon & Williams, Gareth & Webb, Katie & Aylward, Mansel
- 666-672 Longitudinal studies to detect geneÂ xÂ environment interactions in common disease - Bang for your buck? A commentary on Chaufan's "How much can a large population study on genes, environments, their interactions and common diseases contribute to the health of the American people?" (65:8, 1730-1741(2007))
by Robertson, Stephen & Poulton, Richie
- 673-674 A letter response to Chaufan's "How much can a large population study on genes, environments, their interactions and common diseases contribute to the health of the American people?" (65:8, 2007, 1730-1741)
by Tuckson, Reed V. & Willard, Huntington F.
- 675-683 In search of "genetic predispositions" to common diseases: Bang for your buck? Not really. A response to Robertson and Poulton, and Tuckson and Willard
by Chaufan, Claudia