Social Science & Medicine
September 2009, Volume 69, Issue 6
September 2009, Volume 69, Issue 5
- 655-661 From pleasure to pain: The role of the MPQ in the language of phantom limb pain
by Crawford, Cassandra S.
- 662-665 Indescribable pain in literature: A commentary on Crawford
by Mowat, Ryan
- 666-669 The inarticulacy/indescribability of pain: A rejoinder to Mowat
by Crawford, Cassandra S.
- 670-677 Explosive anger as a response to human rights violations in post-conflict Timor-Leste
by Silove, Derrick & Brooks, Robert & Bateman Steel, Catherine Robina & Steel, Zachary & Hewage, Kalhari & Rodger, James & Soosay, Ian
- 678-681 Experimental emotional disclosure in women undergoing infertility treatment: Are drop outs better off?
by Panagopoulou, Efharis & Montgomery, Anthony & Tarlatzis, Basil
- 682-690 Improving poor women's access to maternity care: Findings from a primary care intervention in Burkina Faso
by Brazier, Ellen & Andrzejewski, Catherine & Perkins, Margaret E. & Themmen, Ellen M. & Knight, Rodney J. & Bassane, Brahima
- 691-697 Community influences on intimate partner violence in India: Women's education, attitudes towards mistreatment and standards of living
by Boyle, Michael H. & Georgiades, Katholiki & Cullen, John & Racine, Yvonne
- 698-706 The inequalities of medical pluralism: Hierarchies of health, the politics of tradition and the economies of care in Indian oncology
by Broom, Alex & Doron, Assa & Tovey, Philip
- 707-715 Interprofessional collaboration within Canadian integrative healthcare clinics: Key components
by Gaboury, Isabelle & Bujold, Mathieu & Boon, Heather & Moher, David
- 716-721 Theoretical injections: On the therapeutic aesthetics of medical spaces
by Evans, Joshua D. & Crooks, Valorie A. & Kingsbury, Paul T.
- 722-728 The good, the bad, and the severely mentally ill: Official and informal labels as organizational resources in community mental health services
by Dobransky, Kerry
- 729-737 Demanding patient or demanding encounter?: A case study of a cancer clinic
by Stacey, Clare Louise & Henderson, Stuart & MacArthur, Kelly R. & Dohan, Daniel
- 738-746 When things fall apart: Gender and suicide across the life-course
by Shiner, Michael & Scourfield, Jonathan & Fincham, Ben & Langer, Susanne
- 747-753 Molecular epidemiology of tuberculosis transmission: Contextualizing the evidence through social network theory
by Hollm-Delgado, Maria-Graciela
- 754-760 Housing wealth and mortality: A register linkage study of the Finnish population
by Laaksonen, Mikko & Tarkiainen, Lasse & Martikainen, Pekka
- 761-767 Regional risk factors for health inequalities in Scotland and England and the "Scottish effect"
by Shelton, Nicola Jane
- 768-776 Racial-ethnic disparities in health and the labor market: Losing and leaving jobs
by Strully, Kate
- 777-785 Perceived job insecurity and worker health in the United States
by Burgard, Sarah A. & Brand, Jennie E. & House, James S.
- 786-792 Maximisation in extra-welfarism: A critique of the current position in health economics
by Coast, Joanna
- 793-801 Inequalities in health care utilization in Spain due to double insurance coverage: An Oaxaca-Ransom decomposition
by González Álvarez, M Luz & Barranquero, Antonio Clavero
August 2009, Volume 69, Issue 4
- 481-485 Is the apparent U-shape of well-being over the life course a result of inappropriate use of control variables? A commentary on Blanchflower and Oswald (66: 8, 2008, 1733-1749)
by Glenn, Norval
- 486-488 The U-shape without controls: A response to Glenn
by Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J.
- 489-499 Social capital, income inequality and self-rated health in Chita peninsula, Japan: a multilevel analysis of older people in 25 communities
by Ichida, Yukinobu & Kondo, Katsunori & Hirai, Hiroshi & Hanibuchi, Tomoya & Yoshikawa, Goshu & Murata, Chiyoe
- 500-505 Social capital and perceived health in Japan: An ecological and multilevel analysis
by Fujisawa, Yoshikazu & Hamano, Tsuyoshi & Takegawa, Shogo
- 506-508 Social capital and health in Japan: What has been confirmed and what has not. A commentary on Ichida and on Fujisawa
by Inaba, Yoji
- 509-511 Research on social capital and health in Japan. A commentary on Ichida and on Fujisawa
by Takao, Soshi
- 512-518 The different effects of vertical social capital and horizontal social capital on dental status: A multilevel analysis
by Aida, Jun & Hanibuchi, Tomoya & Nakade, Miyo & Hirai, Hiroshi & Osaka, Ken & Kondo, Katsunori
- 519-528 Association between attendance at religious services and self-reported health in 22 European countries
by Nicholson, Amanda & Rose, Richard & Bobak, Martin
- 529-537 Gender differences in education effects on all-cause mortality for white and black adults in the United States
by Zajacova, Anna & Hummer, Robert A.
- 538-542 Racialized identity and health in Canada: Results from a nationally representative survey
by Veenstra, Gerry
- 543-552 Convergence and divergence: Differences in disability prevalence estimates in the United States and Canada based on four health survey instruments
by Altman, Barbara M. & Gulley, Stephen P.
- 553-564 Visual epidemiology: Photographs as tools for probing street-level etiologies
by Cannuscio, Carolyn C. & Weiss, Eve E. & Fruchtman, Hannah & Schroeder, Jeannette & Weiner, Janet & Asch, David A.
- 565-570 Resilience and marginalized youth: Making a case for personal and collective meaning-making as part of resilience research in public health
by Wexler, Lisa Marin & DiFluvio, Gloria & Burke, Tracey K.
- 571-578 Inequality in social rank and adult nutritional status: Evidence from a small-scale society in the Bolivian Amazon
by Reyes-García, Victoria & Molina, Jose Luis & McDade, Thomas W. & Tanner, Susan N. & Huanca, Tomas & Leonard, William R.
- 579-586 Threats to safe motherhood in Honduran Miskito communities: Local perceptions of factors that contribute to maternal mortality
by Arps, Shahna
- 587-595 Young carers as social actors: Coping strategies of children caring for ailing or ageing guardians in Western Kenya
by Skovdal, Morten & Ogutu, Vincent O. & Aoro, Cellestine & Campbell, Catherine
- 596-603 "AIDS is rape!" gender and sexuality in children's responses to HIV and AIDS
by Bhana, Deevia
- 604-612 HIV prevention while the bulldozers roll: Exploring the effect of the demolition of Goa's red-light area
by Shahmanesh, Maryam & Wayal, Sonali & Andrew, Gracy & Patel, Vikram & Cowan, Frances M. & Hart, Graham
- 613-622 "Why doesn't she seek help for partner abuse?" An exploratory study with South Asian immigrant women
by Ahmad, Farah & Driver, Natasha & McNally, Mary Jane & Stewart, Donna E.
- 623-631 "You don't need a prescription to go gluten-free": The scientific self-diagnosis of celiac disease
by Copelton, Denise A. & Valle, Giuseppina
- 632-639 Illness careers and continuity of care in mental health services: A qualitative study of service users and carers
by Jones, Ian Rees & Ahmed, Nilufar & Catty, Jocelyn & McLaren, Susan & Rose, Diana & Wykes, Til & Burns, Tom
- 640-647 Comparing hospital costs: What is gained by accounting for more than a case-mix index?
by Hvenegaard, Anne & Street, Andrew & Sørensen, Torben Højmark & Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte
- 648-653 Economic valuation of informal care in Asia: A case study of care for disabled stroke survivors in Thailand
by Riewpaiboon, Arthorn & Riewpaiboon, Wachara & Ponsoongnern, Kanyarat & Van den Berg, Bernard
August 2009, Volume 69, Issue 3
- 301-304 How Cuba's Latin American School of Medicine challenges the ethics of physician migration
by Huish, Robert
- 305-306 A Cuban revolution in medical education: A commentary on Huish
by Flegel, Ken
- 307-316 What is self-rated health and why does it predict mortality? Towards a unified conceptual model
by Jylhä, Marja
- 317-326 Income inequality, area-level poverty, perceived aversion to inequality, and self-rated health in Japan
by Oshio, Takashi & Kobayashi, Miki
- 327-334 Relative deprivation in income and self-rated health in the United States
by Subramanyam, Malavika & Kawachi, Ichiro & Berkman, Lisa & Subramanian, S.V.
- 335-344 Social comparisons and health: Can having richer friends and neighbors make you sick?
by Pham-Kanter, Genevieve
- 345-353 Do the determinants of health differ between people living in the community and in institutions?
by Asakawa, Keiko & Feeny, David & Senthilselvan, Ambikaipakan & Johnson, Jeffrey A. & Rolfson, Darryl
- 354-361 From boundary concept to boundary object: The practice and politics of care pathway development
by Allen, Davina
- 362-369 An ethnographic study of classifying and accounting for risk at the sharp end of medical wards
by Dixon-Woods, Mary & Suokas, Anu & Pitchforth, Emma & Tarrant, Carolyn
- 370-378 A comparison of the health status and health care utilization patterns between foreigners and the national population in Spain: New evidence from the Spanish National Health Survey
by Hernández-Quevedo, Cristina & Jiménez-Rubio, Dolores
- 379-386 Analysing equity in health care financing: A flow of funds approach
by Smith, Samantha & Normand, Charles
- 387-395 Economic reforms and health insurance in China
by Du, Juan
- 396-403 The role of behavioural factors in explaining socio-economic differences in adolescent health: A multilevel study in 33 countries
by Richter, Matthias & Erhart, Michael & Vereecken, Carine A. & Zambon, Alessio & Boyce, William & Gabhainn, Saoirse Nic
- 404-410 Cohort study of informal carers of first-time stroke survivors: Profile of health and social changes in the first year of caregiving
by Simon, Chantal & Kumar, Satinder & Kendrick, Tony
- 411-419 Spatially informed knowledge translation: Informing potential users of Canada's Compassionate Care Benefit
by Giesbrecht, Melissa & Crooks, Valorie A. & Schuurman, Nadine & Williams, Allison
- 420-432 Concentrated affluence, concentrated disadvantage, and children's readiness for school: A population-based, multi-level investigation
by Carpiano, Richard M. & Lloyd, Jennifer E.V. & Hertzman, Clyde
- 433-441 Childhood socioeconomic status and racial differences in disability: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study (1998-2006)
by Bowen, Mary Elizabeth
- 442-450 Differences in stature, BMI, and dietary practices between US born and newly immigrated Hmong children
by Franzen, Lisa & Smith, Chery
- 451-459 Association of socioeconomic status with inflammation markers in black and white men and women in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study
by Gruenewald, Tara L. & Cohen, Sheldon & Matthews, Karen A. & Tracy, Russell & Seeman, Teresa E.
- 460-468 Occupational career and risk of mortality among US Civil War Veterans
by Su, Dejun
- 469-474 Connecting the invisible dots: Reaching lesbian, gay, and bisexual adolescents and young adults at risk for suicide through online social networks
by Silenzio, Vincent M.B. & Duberstein, Paul R. & Tang, Wan & Lu, Naiji & Tu, Xin & Homan, Christopher M.
- 475-480 Parents' health beliefs and HPV vaccination of their adolescent daughters
by Reiter, Paul L. & Brewer, Noel T. & Gottlieb, Sami L. & McRee, Annie-Laurie & Smith, Jennifer S.
July 2009, Volume 69, Issue 2
- 147-153 Extending specialist palliative care to people with heart failure: Semantic, historical and practical limitations to policy guidelines
by Chattoo, Sangeeta & Atkin, Karl M.
- 154-157 Palliative care: Based on neither diagnosis nor prognosis, but patient and family need. Commentary on Chattoo and Atkin
by Selman, Lucy Ellen & Beattie, James M. & Murtagh, Fliss E. & Higginson, Irene J.
- 158-159 An idealist vision of specialist palliative care: A response to the commentary by Selman, Beattie, Murtagh and Higginson
by Chattoo, Sangeeta & Atkin, Karl M.
- 160-164 Time to retire - Time to die? A prospective cohort study of the effects of early retirement on long-term survival
by Brockmann, Hilke & Müller, Rolf & Helmert, Uwe
- 165-171 The desire for hastened death in individuals with advanced cancer: A longitudinal qualitative study
by Nissim, Rinat & Gagliese, Lucia & Rodin, Gary
- 172-177 Doctors leaving 12 tertiary hospitals in Iraq, 2004-2007
by Burnham, Gilbert M. & Lafta, Riyadh & Doocy, Shannon
- 178-182 The impact of the business cycle on occupational injuries in the UK
by Davies, Rhys & Jones, Paul & Nuñez, Imanol
- 183-190 Idle chatter or learning? Evidence of social learning about clinicians and the health system from rural Tanzania
by Leonard, Kenneth L. & Adelman, Sarah W. & Essam, Timothy
- 191-198 Asset ownership and health and mental health functioning among AIDS-orphaned adolescents: Findings from a randomized clinical trial in rural Uganda
by Ssewamala, Fred M. & Han, Chang-Keun & Neilands, Torsten B.
- 199-209 Religious teachings and influences on the ABCs of HIV prevention in Malawi
by Trinitapoli, Jenny
- 210-214 Arranging and negotiating the use of informal interpreters in general practice consultations: Experiences of refugees and asylum seekers in the west of Ireland
by MacFarlane, Anne & Dzebisova, Zhanna & Karapish, Dmitri & Kovacevic, Bosiljka & Ogbebor, Florence & Okonkwo, Ekaterina
- 215-222 Gatekeeping practices of nurses in operating rooms
by Riley, Robin & Manias, Elizabeth
- 223-228 Marital status, gender and cardiovascular mortality: Behavioural, psychological distress and metabolic explanations
by Molloy, Gerard John & Stamatakis, Emmanuel & Randall, Gemma & Hamer, Mark
- 229-237 Financial hardship, socio-economic position and depression: Results from the PATH Through Life Survey
by Butterworth, Peter & Rodgers, Bryan & Windsor, Tim D.
- 238-245 Tales of the unexpected? Hidden resilience in poor households in Britain
by Canvin, Krysia & Marttila, Anneli & Burstrom, Bo & Whitehead, Margaret
- 246-257 Depression and anxiety in labor migrants and refugees - A systematic review and meta-analysis
by Lindert, Jutta & Ehrenstein, Ondine S. von & Priebe, Stefan & Mielck, Andreas & Brähler, Elmar
- 258-265 Differences in the self-reported racism experiences of US-born and foreign-born Black pregnant women
by Dominguez, Tyan Parker & Strong, Emily Ficklin & Krieger, Nancy & Gillman, Matthew W. & Rich-Edwards, Janet W.
- 266-273 German genes and Turkish traits: Ethnicity, infertility, and reproductive politics in Germany
by Vanderlinden, Lisa K.
- 274-277 How do prospective parents who decline prenatal screening account for their decision? A qualitative study
by Gottfre[eth]sdóttir, Helga & Björnsdóttir, Kristín & Sandall, Jane
- 278-284 Postponing worrisome thoughts in children: The effects of a postponement intervention on perseverative thoughts, emotions and somatic complaints
by Jellesma, Francine C. & Verkuil, Bart & Brosschot, Jos F.
- 285-292 Who feeds children? A child's-eye-view of caregiver feeding patterns among the Aka foragers in Congo
by Fouts, Hillary N. & Brookshire, Robyn A.
- 293-300 The postconventional body: Retheorising women's health
by Einstein, Gillian & Shildrick, Margrit
July 2009, Volume 69, Issue 1
- 1-8 Physician as partner or salesman? Shared decision-making in real-time encounters
by Karnieli-Miller, Orit & Eisikovits, Zvi
- 9-11 Can physicians both persuade and partner? A commentary on Karnieli-Miller and Eisikovits
by Eggly, Susan
- 12-13 The place of persuasion in shared decision making: A contextual approach. A response to Eggly
by Karnieli-Miller, Orit & Eisikovits, Zvi
- 14-20 The promotion of olanzapine in primary care: An examination of internal industry documents
by Spielmans, Glen I.
- 21-27 Objectification, standardization, and commodification in health care: A conceptual readjustment
by Timmermans, Stefan & Almeling, Rene
- 28-35 Depression and mental health in neoliberal times: A critical analysis of policy and discourse
by Teghtsoonian, Katherine
- 36-46 Is the political system really related to health?
by Klomp, Jeroen & de Haan, Jakob
- 47-55 Age and disability: Explaining the wage differential
by Gannon, Brenda & Munley, Margaret
- 56-60 When work and satisfaction with life do not go hand in hand: Health barriers and personal resources in the participation of people with chronic physical disabilities
by van Campen, Cretien & Cardol, Mieke
- 61-67 Hospital efficiency and transaction costs: A stochastic frontier approach
by Ludwig, Martijn & Groot, Wim & Van Merode, Frits
- 68-75 Patient satisfaction revisited: A multilevel approach
by Hekkert, Karin Dorieke & Cihangir, Sezgin & Kleefstra, Sophia Martine & van den Berg, Bernard & Kool, Rudolf Bertijn
- 76-84 Effects of child health on parents' social capital
by Schultz, Jennifer & Corman, Hope & Noonan, Kelly & Reichman, Nancy E.
- 85-93 The association of sexual orientation with self-rated health, and cigarette and alcohol use in Mexican adolescents and youths
by Ortiz-Hernández, Luis & Gómez Tello, Blanca Lilia & Valdés, Jesús
- 94-100 Risk of smoking initiation among Mexican immigrants before and after immigration to the United States
by Stoddard, Pamela
- 101-109 Segmented assimilation theory and perinatal health disparities among women of Mexican descent
by Johnson, Michelle A. & Marchi, Kristen S.
- 110-120 Are immigrant enclaves healthy places to live? The Multi-ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis
by Osypuk, Theresa L. & Diez Roux, Ana V. & Hadley, Craig & Kandula, Namratha R.
- 121-128 Race, place and AIDS: The role of socioeconomic context on racial disparities in treatment and survival in San Francisco
by Arnold, Michael & Hsu, Ling & Pipkin, Sharon & McFarland, Willi & Rutherford, George W.
- 129-137 The neighborhood effects of disrupted family processes on adolescent substanceÂ use
by Bernburg, Jon Gunnar & Thorlindsson, Thorolfur & Sigfusdottir, Inga D.
- 138-146 Childhood physical abuse and midlife physical health: Testing a multi-pathway life course model
by Springer, Kristen W.
June 2009, Volume 68, Issue 12
- 2097-2103 Differences in self-rated health by immigrant status and language preference among Arab Americans in the Detroit Metropolitan Area
by Abdulrahim, Sawsan & Baker, Wayne
- 2104-2112 Social connections, immigration-related factors, and self-rated physical and mental health among Asian Americans
by Zhang, Wei & Ta, Van M.
- 2113-2121 Low-income mothers' social support and children's injuries
by Leininger, Lindsey Jeanne & Ryan, Rebecca M. & Kalil, Ariel
- 2122-2128 Income incongruity, relative household income, and preterm birth in the Black Women's Health Study
by Phillips, Ghasi S. & Wise, Lauren A. & Rich-Edwards, Janet W. & Stampfer, Meir J. & Rosenberg, Lynn
- 2129-2136 Bonding and bridging neighborliness: An individual-level study in the context of health
by Beaudoin, Christopher E.
- 2137-2144 Parent-child dietary intake resemblance in the United States: Evidence from a large representative survey
by Beydoun, May A. & Wang, Youfa
- 2145-2151 Time perspective and socioeconomic status: A link to socioeconomic disparities in health?
by Guthrie, Lori C. & Butler, Stephen C. & Ward, Michael M.
- 2152-2160 Socioeconomic status and health in the Japanese population
by Kagamimori, Sadanobu & Gaina, Alexandru & Nasermoaddeli, Ali
- 2161-2169 The role of socioeconomic indicators on non-alcohol and alcohol-associated suicide mortality among women in Finland. A register-based follow-up study of 12 million person-years
by Mäki, Netta & Martikainen, Pekka
- 2170-2179 Changing health status and health expectancies among older adults in China: Gender differences from 1992 to 2002
by Gu, Danan & Dupre, Matthew E. & Warner, David F. & Zeng, Yi
- 2180-2189 Poverty-alleviation program participation and salivary cortisol in very low-income children
by Fernald, Lia C.H. & Gunnar, Megan R.
- 2190-2198 Looking for resilience: Understanding the longitudinal trajectories of responses to stress
by Norris, Fran H. & Tracy, Melissa & Galea, Sandro
- 2199-2205 Determinants, correlates and mediators of psychological distress: A longitudinal study
by Gadalla, Tahany M.
- 2206-2214 Theory driven research designs for explaining behavioural health risk transitions: The case of smoking
by Dixon, Jane & Banwell, Cathy
- 2215-2222 Why do people cooperate with medical research? Findings from three studies
by Dixon-Woods, Mary & Tarrant, Carolyn
- 2223-2230 Understanding pharmacists' values: A qualitative study of ideals and dilemmas in UK pharmacy practice
by Benson, Ailsa & Cribb, Alan & Barber, Nick
- 2231-2239 US religious congregations and the sponsorship of health-related programs
by Trinitapoli, Jenny & Ellison, Christopher G. & Boardman, Jason D.
- 2240-2246 Drivers of tuberculosis epidemics: The role of risk factors and social determinants
by Lönnroth, Knut & Jaramillo, Ernesto & Williams, Brian G. & Dye, Christopher & Raviglione, Mario
- 2247-2255 Investigating public preferences on 'severity of health' as a relevant condition for setting healthcare priorities
by Green, Colin
- 2256-2262 Health policy reform in China: Lessons from Asia
by Ramesh, M. & Wu, Xun
- 2263-2270 Increasing the acceptability of HIV counseling and testing with three C's: Convenience, confidentiality and credibility
by Angotti, Nicole & Bula, Agatha & Gaydosh, Lauren & Kimchi, Eitan Zeev & Thornton, Rebecca L. & Yeatman, Sara E.
- 2271-2278 A comparison of HIV stigma and discrimination in five international sites: The influence of care and treatment resources in high prevalence settings
by Maman, Suzanne & Abler, Laurie & Parker, Lisa & Lane, Tim & Chirowodza, Admire & Ntogwisangu, Jacob & Srirak, Namtip & Modiba, Precious & Murima, Oliver & Fritz, Katherine
- 2279-2287 A comparison of HIV/AIDS-related stigma in four countries: Negative attitudes and perceived acts of discrimination towards people living with HIV/AIDS
by Genberg, Becky L. & Hlavka, Zdenek & Konda, Kelika A. & Maman, Suzanne & Chariyalertsak, Suwat & Chingono, Alfred & Mbwambo, Jessie & Modiba, Precious & Van Rooyen, Heidi & Celentano, David D.
June 2009, Volume 68, Issue 11
- 1909-1913 Inequality, race, and mortality in U.S. cities: A political and econometric review of Deaton and Lubotsky (56:6, 1139-1153, 2003)
by Ash, Michael & Robinson, Dean E.
- 1914-1917 Income inequality and mortality in U.S. cities: Weighing the evidence. A response to Ash
by Deaton, Angus & Lubotsky, Darren
- 1918-1925 The effect of changes in health sector resources on infant mortality in the short-run and the long-run: A longitudinal econometric analysis
by Farahani, Mansour & Subramanian, S.V. & Canning, David
- 1926-1934 The influence of national policy change on subnational policymaking: Medicaid nursing facility reimbursement in the American states
by Miller, Edward Alan & Wang, Lili
- 1935-1942 "I can see where they're coming from, but when you're on the end of it ... you just want to get the money and the drug.": Explaining reactions to explicit healthcare rationing
by Owen-Smith, Amanda & Coast, Joanna & Donovan, Jenny
- 1943-1947 How the economy affects teenage weight
by Arkes, Jeremy
- 1948-1955 Associations between maternal older age, family environment and parent and child wellbeing in families using assisted reproductive techniques to conceive
by Boivin, J. & Rice, Frances & Hay, Dale & Harold, Gordon & Lewis, Allyson & van den Bree, Marianne M.B. & Thapar, Anita
- 1956-1965 Family and school socioeconomic disadvantage: Interactive influences on adolescent dating violence victimization
by Spriggs, Aubrey L. & Halpern, Carolyn Tucker & Herring, Amy H. & Schoenbach, Victor J.
- 1966-1974 Perceived discrimination and health among Puerto Rican and Mexican Americans: Buffering effect of the Lazo matrimonial?
by Lee, Min-Ah & Ferraro, Kenneth F.
- 1975-1984 Neighborhood residential segregation and mental health: A multilevel analysis on Hispanic Americans in Chicago
by Lee, Min-Ah
- 1985-1992 Geographic hierarchies of diagnostic practice style in cerebrovascular disease
by Yiannakoulias, Nikolaos & Hill, Michael D. & Svenson, Lawrence W.
- 1993-2001 A multilevel analysis of social capital and self-rated health: Evidence from the British Household Panel Survey
by Snelgrove, John W. & Pikhart, Hynek & Stafford, Mai
- 2002-2009 Fostering deliberations about health innovation: What do we want to know from publics?
by Lehoux, Pascale & Daudelin, Genevieve & Demers-Payette, Olivier & Boivin, Antoine
- 2010-2017 Distinguishing research from clinical care in cancer genetics: Theoretical justifications and practical strategies
by Hallowell, Nina & Cooke, Sarah & Crawford, Gill & Lucassen, Anneke & Parker, Michael
- 2018-2028 It's not just what you say, it's also how you say it: Opening the 'black box' of informed consent appointments in randomised controlled trials
by Wade, Julia & Donovan, Jenny L. & Athene Lane, J. & Neal, David E. & Hamdy, Freddie C.
- 2029-2036 "I couldn't say, I'm not a girl" - Adolescents talk about gender and marijuana use
by Haines, Rebecca J. & Johnson, Joy L. & Carter, Connie I. & Arora, Kamal
- 2037-2044 Talking the talk, walking the walk: Social network norms, communication patterns, and condom use among the male partners of female sex workers in La Romana, Dominican Republic
by Barrington, Clare & Latkin, Carl & Sweat, Michael D. & Moreno, Luis & Ellen, Jonathan & Kerrigan, Deanna
- 2045-2052 Symbolic capital and health: The case of women's sex work in Antananarivo, Madagascar
by Stoebenau, Kirsten
- 2053-2060 Colonialism, Biko and AIDS: Reflections on the principle of beneficence in South African medical ethics
by Braude, Hillel David
- 2061-2068 The problem of infertility in high fertility populations: Meanings, consequences and coping mechanisms in two Nigerian communities
by Hollos, Marida & Larsen, Ulla & Obono, Oka & Whitehouse, Bruce
- 2069-2077 Unintended consequences: Exploring the tensions between development programs and indigenous women in Mexico in the context of reproductive health
by Smith-Oka, Vania
- 2078-2088 Motivation, money and respect: A mixed-method study of Tanzanian non-physician clinicians
by Chandler, Clare I.R. & Chonya, Semkini & Mtei, Frank & Reyburn, Hugh & Whitty, Christopher J.M.
- 2089-2096 Explanatory models of influences on the construction and expression of user satisfaction
by Atkinson, Sarah & Medeiros, Regianne L.
May 2009, Volume 68, Issue 10
- 1745-1751 A survey of self-directed dying attended by proxies in the Dutch population
by Chabot, Boudewijn E. & Goedhart, Arnold
- 1752-1758 The rapidly changing location of death in Canada, 1994-2004
by Wilson, Donna M. & Truman, Corrine D. & Thomas, Roger & Fainsinger, Robin & Kovacs-Burns, Kathy & Froggatt, Katherine & Justice, Christopher
- 1759-1765 You'll "Get Viagraed:" Mexican men's preference for alternative erectile dysfunction treatment
by Wentzell, Emily & Salmerón, Jorge
- 1766-1774 Decisions about Pap tests: What influences women and providers?
by Fiebig, Denzil G. & Haas, Marion & Hossain, Ishrat & Street, Deborah J. & Viney, Rosalie
- 1775-1779 Prescribing behaviour of village doctors under China's New Cooperative Medical Scheme
by Sun, Xiaoyun & Jackson, Sukhan & Carmichael, Gordon A. & Sleigh, Adrian C.
- 1780-1787 Do lower birth weight babies have lower grades? Twin fixed effect and instrumental variable method evidence from Taiwan
by Lin, Ming-Jen & Liu, Jin-Tan
- 1788-1792 Policy determinants affecting the hunger millennium development goal
by Palma, Marco Antonio & Ortiz, Rocio & Alvarez-Dardet, Carlos & Ruiz, Maria T.
- 1793-1800 "It's all the time in my mind": Facilitators of adherence to antiretroviral therapy in a Tanzanian setting
by Watt, Melissa H. & Maman, Suzanne & Earp, Jo Anne & Eng, Eugenia & Setel, Philip W. & Golin, Carol E. & Jacobson, Mark
- 1801-1809 The independent contribution of individual-, neighbourhood-, and country-level socioeconomic position on attitudes towards intimate partner violence against women in sub-Saharan Africa: A multilevel model of direct and moderating effects
by Uthman, Olalekan Abdulrahman & Moradi, Tahereh & Lawoko, Stephen
- 1810-1818 Is education the link between orphanhood and HIV/HSV-2 risk among female adolescents in urban Zimbabwe?
by Birdthistle, Isolde & Floyd, Sian & Nyagadza, Auxillia & Mudziwapasi, Netsai & Gregson, Simon & Glynn, Judith R.
- 1819-1825 Individual, familial and community determinants of child physical abuse among high-school students in China
by Wong, William Chi Wai & Chen, Wei Qing & Goggins, William B. & Tang, Catherine S. & Leung, Phil W.
- 1826-1834 Social determinants of child and adolescent traffic-related and intentional injuries: A multilevel study in Stockholm County
by Laflamme, Lucie & Hasselberg, Marie & Reimers, Anne-Mari & Cavalini, Luciana Tricai & Ponce de Leon, Antonio
- 1835-1842 Social mobility: Evidence that it can widen health inequalities
by Boyle, Paul J. & Norman, Paul & Popham, Frank
- 1843-1851 Objective and subjective social class gradients for substance use among Mexican adolescents
by Ritterman, Miranda Lucia & Fernald, Lia C. & Ozer, Emily J. & Adler, Nancy E. & Gutierrez, Juan Pablo & Syme, S. Leonard
- 1852-1858 Ethnicity and nativity status as determinants of perceived social support: Testing the concept of familism
by Almeida, Joanna & Molnar, Beth E. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V.
- 1859-1865 Neighborhood racial composition, social capital and black all-cause mortality in Philadelphia
by Hutchinson, Rebbeca N. & Putt, Mary A. & Dean, Lorraine T. & Long, Judith A. & Montagnet, Chantal A. & Armstrong, Katrina
- 1866-1874 Discrimination, work and health in immigrant populations in Spain
by Agudelo-Suárez, Andrés & Gil-González, Diana & Ronda-Pérez, Elena & Porthé, Victoria & Paramio-Pérez, Gema & García, Ana M. & Garí, Aitana
- 1875-1881 Effect of job strain and depressive symptoms upon returning to work after acute coronary syndrome
by Fukuoka, Yoshimi & Dracup, Kathleen & Takeshima, Masako & Ishii, Noriko & Makaya, Miyuki & Groah, Linda & Kyriakidis, Erick
- 1882-1891 "There are always two sides to these things": Managing the dilemma of serious adverse effects from SSRIs
by Liebert, Rachel & Gavey, Nicola
- 1892-1900 How young people find out about their family history of Huntington's disease
by Forrest Keenan, Karen & van Teijlingen, Edwin & McKee, Lorna & Miedzybrodzka, Zosia & Simpson, Sheila A.
- 1901-1907 'You are not yourself': Exploring masculinities among heterosexual African men living with HIV in London
by Doyal, Lesley & Anderson, Jane & Paparini, Sara
May 2009, Volume 68, Issue 9
- 1561-1564 Early-life effects on socio-economic performance and mortality in later life: A full life-course approach using contemporary and historical sources
by Bengtsson, Tommy & Mineau, Geraldine P.
- 1565-1573 Do childhood cognitive ability or smoking behaviour explain the influence of lifetime socio-economic conditions on premature adult mortality in a British post war birth cohort?
by Kuh, Diana & Shah, Imran & Richards, Marcus & Mishra, Gita & Wadsworth, Michael & Hardy, Rebecca
- 1574-1582 Early childhood health, reproduction of economic inequalities and the persistence of health and mortality differentials
by Palloni, Alberto & Milesi, Carolina & White, Robert G. & Turner, Alyn
- 1583-1590 Do conditions in early life affect old-age mortality directly and indirectly? Evidence from 19th-century rural Sweden
by Bengtsson, Tommy & Broström, Göran
- 1591-1598 Exogenous determinants of early-life conditions, and mortality later in life
by van den Berg, Gerard J. & Doblhammer, Gabriele & Christensen, Kaare
- 1599-1608 Testing the influenza-tuberculosis selective mortality hypothesis with Union Army data
by Noymer, Andrew
- 1609-1616 Does exposure to infectious diseases in infancy affect old-age mortality? Evidence from a pre-industrial population
by Gagnon, Alain & Mazan, Ryan
- 1617-1624 Infant mortality and diminished entelechy in three European countries
by Bruckner, Tim A. & Catalano, Ralph A.
- 1625-1632 Age at first birth, parity, and post-reproductive mortality among white and black women in the US, 1982-2002
by Spence, Naomi J. & Eberstein, Isaac W.
- 1633-1640 The impact of early twentieth century illegitimacy across three generations. Longevity and intergenerational health correlates
by Modin, Bitte & Koupil, Ilona & Vågerö, Denny
- 1641-1648 Long-term mortality consequences of childhood family context in Liaoning, China, 1749-1909
by Campbell, Cameron D. & Lee, James Z.
- 1649-1658 Effects of childhood and middle-adulthood family conditions on later-life mortality: Evidence from the Utah Population Database, 1850-2002
by Smith, Ken R. & Mineau, Geraldine P. & Garibotti, Gilda & Kerber, Richard
- 1659-1666 Harms and benefits: Collecting ethnicity data in a clinical context
by Varcoe, Colleen & Browne, Annette J. & Wong, Sabrina & Smye, Victoria L.
- 1667-1675 Do biological, sociodemographic, and behavioral characteristics explain racial/ethnic disparities in preterm births?
by Sparks, P. Johnelle
- 1676-1684 Does health predict the reporting of racial discrimination or do reports of discrimination predict health? Findings from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth
by Gee, Gilbert & Walsemann, Katrina
- 1685-1691 Overweight status, self-perception, and suicidal behaviors among adolescents
by Dave, Dhaval & Rashad, Inas
- 1692-1699 Social origins, early hardship and obesity: A strong association in women, but not in men?
by Khlat, Myriam & Jusot, Florence & Ville, Isabelle
- 1700-1710 The effects of exercise interventions on quality of life in clinical and healthy populations; a meta-analysis
by Gillison, Fiona Bridget & Skevington, Suzanne M. & Sato, Ayana & Standage, Martyn & Evangelidou, Stella
- 1711-1719 Health interventions and the persistence of rumour: The circulation of sterility stories in African public health campaigns
by Kaler, Amy
- 1720-1727 Childhood drowning in Matlab, Bangladesh: An in-depth exploration of community perceptions and practices
by Blum, Lauren S. & Khan, Rasheda & Hyder, Adnan A. & Shahanaj, Sabina & El Arifeen, Shams & Baqui, Abdullah
- 1728-1736 Diarrhoea, acute respiratory infection, and fever among children in the Democratic Republic of Congo
by Kandala, Ngianga-Bakwin & Emina, Jacques B. & Nzita, Paul Denis K. & Cappuccio, Francesco P.
- 1737-1744 "Nuts, schiz, psycho": An exploration of young homeless people's perceptions and dilemmas of defining mental health
by O'Reilly, Michelle & Taylor, Helen C. & Vostanis, Panos
April 2009, Volume 68, Issue 8
- 1361-1367 Evidence of localized clustering of gastroschisis births in North Carolina, 1999-2004
by Root, Elisabeth Dowling & Meyer, Robert E. & Emch, Michael E.
- 1368-1375 The dynamics of income and neighborhood context for population health: Do long-term measures of socioeconomic status explain more of the black/white health disparity than single-point-in-time measures?
by Do, D. Phuong
- 1376-1387 Conceptualizing community: A comparison of neighborhood characteristics of supportive housing for persons with psychiatric and developmental disabilities
by Irene Wong, Yin-Ling & Stanhope, Victoria
- 1388-1395 Pioneers and laggards - Is the effect of gender equality on health dependent on context?
by Backhans, Mona Christina & Burström, Bo & Lindholm, Lars & Månsdotter, Anna
- 1396-1406 Job loss is bad for your health - Swedish evidence on cause-specific hospitalization following involuntary job loss
by Eliason, Marcus & Storrie, Donald