Social Science & Medicine
August 2009, Volume 69, Issue 3
- 433-441 Childhood socioeconomic status and racial differences in disability: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study (1998-2006)
by Bowen, Mary Elizabeth
- 442-450 Differences in stature, BMI, and dietary practices between US born and newly immigrated Hmong children
by Franzen, Lisa & Smith, Chery
- 451-459 Association of socioeconomic status with inflammation markers in black and white men and women in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) study
by Gruenewald, Tara L. & Cohen, Sheldon & Matthews, Karen A. & Tracy, Russell & Seeman, Teresa E.
- 460-468 Occupational career and risk of mortality among US Civil War Veterans
by Su, Dejun
- 469-474 Connecting the invisible dots: Reaching lesbian, gay, and bisexual adolescents and young adults at risk for suicide through online social networks
by Silenzio, Vincent M.B. & Duberstein, Paul R. & Tang, Wan & Lu, Naiji & Tu, Xin & Homan, Christopher M.
- 475-480 Parents' health beliefs and HPV vaccination of their adolescent daughters
by Reiter, Paul L. & Brewer, Noel T. & Gottlieb, Sami L. & McRee, Annie-Laurie & Smith, Jennifer S.
July 2009, Volume 69, Issue 2
- 147-153 Extending specialist palliative care to people with heart failure: Semantic, historical and practical limitations to policy guidelines
by Chattoo, Sangeeta & Atkin, Karl M.
- 154-157 Palliative care: Based on neither diagnosis nor prognosis, but patient and family need. Commentary on Chattoo and Atkin
by Selman, Lucy Ellen & Beattie, James M. & Murtagh, Fliss E. & Higginson, Irene J.
- 158-159 An idealist vision of specialist palliative care: A response to the commentary by Selman, Beattie, Murtagh and Higginson
by Chattoo, Sangeeta & Atkin, Karl M.
- 160-164 Time to retire - Time to die? A prospective cohort study of the effects of early retirement on long-term survival
by Brockmann, Hilke & Müller, Rolf & Helmert, Uwe
- 165-171 The desire for hastened death in individuals with advanced cancer: A longitudinal qualitative study
by Nissim, Rinat & Gagliese, Lucia & Rodin, Gary
- 172-177 Doctors leaving 12 tertiary hospitals in Iraq, 2004-2007
by Burnham, Gilbert M. & Lafta, Riyadh & Doocy, Shannon
- 178-182 The impact of the business cycle on occupational injuries in the UK
by Davies, Rhys & Jones, Paul & Nuñez, Imanol
- 183-190 Idle chatter or learning? Evidence of social learning about clinicians and the health system from rural Tanzania
by Leonard, Kenneth L. & Adelman, Sarah W. & Essam, Timothy
- 191-198 Asset ownership and health and mental health functioning among AIDS-orphaned adolescents: Findings from a randomized clinical trial in rural Uganda
by Ssewamala, Fred M. & Han, Chang-Keun & Neilands, Torsten B.
- 199-209 Religious teachings and influences on the ABCs of HIV prevention in Malawi
by Trinitapoli, Jenny
- 210-214 Arranging and negotiating the use of informal interpreters in general practice consultations: Experiences of refugees and asylum seekers in the west of Ireland
by MacFarlane, Anne & Dzebisova, Zhanna & Karapish, Dmitri & Kovacevic, Bosiljka & Ogbebor, Florence & Okonkwo, Ekaterina
- 215-222 Gatekeeping practices of nurses in operating rooms
by Riley, Robin & Manias, Elizabeth
- 223-228 Marital status, gender and cardiovascular mortality: Behavioural, psychological distress and metabolic explanations
by Molloy, Gerard John & Stamatakis, Emmanuel & Randall, Gemma & Hamer, Mark
- 229-237 Financial hardship, socio-economic position and depression: Results from the PATH Through Life Survey
by Butterworth, Peter & Rodgers, Bryan & Windsor, Tim D.
- 238-245 Tales of the unexpected? Hidden resilience in poor households in Britain
by Canvin, Krysia & Marttila, Anneli & Burstrom, Bo & Whitehead, Margaret
- 246-257 Depression and anxiety in labor migrants and refugees - A systematic review and meta-analysis
by Lindert, Jutta & Ehrenstein, Ondine S. von & Priebe, Stefan & Mielck, Andreas & Brähler, Elmar
- 258-265 Differences in the self-reported racism experiences of US-born and foreign-born Black pregnant women
by Dominguez, Tyan Parker & Strong, Emily Ficklin & Krieger, Nancy & Gillman, Matthew W. & Rich-Edwards, Janet W.
- 266-273 German genes and Turkish traits: Ethnicity, infertility, and reproductive politics in Germany
by Vanderlinden, Lisa K.
- 274-277 How do prospective parents who decline prenatal screening account for their decision? A qualitative study
by Gottfre[eth]sdóttir, Helga & Björnsdóttir, Kristín & Sandall, Jane
- 278-284 Postponing worrisome thoughts in children: The effects of a postponement intervention on perseverative thoughts, emotions and somatic complaints
by Jellesma, Francine C. & Verkuil, Bart & Brosschot, Jos F.
- 285-292 Who feeds children? A child's-eye-view of caregiver feeding patterns among the Aka foragers in Congo
by Fouts, Hillary N. & Brookshire, Robyn A.
- 293-300 The postconventional body: Retheorising women's health
by Einstein, Gillian & Shildrick, Margrit
July 2009, Volume 69, Issue 1
- 1-8 Physician as partner or salesman? Shared decision-making in real-time encounters
by Karnieli-Miller, Orit & Eisikovits, Zvi
- 9-11 Can physicians both persuade and partner? A commentary on Karnieli-Miller and Eisikovits
by Eggly, Susan
- 12-13 The place of persuasion in shared decision making: A contextual approach. A response to Eggly
by Karnieli-Miller, Orit & Eisikovits, Zvi
- 14-20 The promotion of olanzapine in primary care: An examination of internal industry documents
by Spielmans, Glen I.
- 21-27 Objectification, standardization, and commodification in health care: A conceptual readjustment
by Timmermans, Stefan & Almeling, Rene
- 28-35 Depression and mental health in neoliberal times: A critical analysis of policy and discourse
by Teghtsoonian, Katherine
- 36-46 Is the political system really related to health?
by Klomp, Jeroen & de Haan, Jakob
- 47-55 Age and disability: Explaining the wage differential
by Gannon, Brenda & Munley, Margaret
- 56-60 When work and satisfaction with life do not go hand in hand: Health barriers and personal resources in the participation of people with chronic physical disabilities
by van Campen, Cretien & Cardol, Mieke
- 61-67 Hospital efficiency and transaction costs: A stochastic frontier approach
by Ludwig, Martijn & Groot, Wim & Van Merode, Frits
- 68-75 Patient satisfaction revisited: A multilevel approach
by Hekkert, Karin Dorieke & Cihangir, Sezgin & Kleefstra, Sophia Martine & van den Berg, Bernard & Kool, Rudolf Bertijn
- 76-84 Effects of child health on parents' social capital
by Schultz, Jennifer & Corman, Hope & Noonan, Kelly & Reichman, Nancy E.
- 85-93 The association of sexual orientation with self-rated health, and cigarette and alcohol use in Mexican adolescents and youths
by Ortiz-Hernández, Luis & Gómez Tello, Blanca Lilia & Valdés, Jesús
- 94-100 Risk of smoking initiation among Mexican immigrants before and after immigration to the United States
by Stoddard, Pamela
- 101-109 Segmented assimilation theory and perinatal health disparities among women of Mexican descent
by Johnson, Michelle A. & Marchi, Kristen S.
- 110-120 Are immigrant enclaves healthy places to live? The Multi-ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis
by Osypuk, Theresa L. & Diez Roux, Ana V. & Hadley, Craig & Kandula, Namratha R.
- 121-128 Race, place and AIDS: The role of socioeconomic context on racial disparities in treatment and survival in San Francisco
by Arnold, Michael & Hsu, Ling & Pipkin, Sharon & McFarland, Willi & Rutherford, George W.
- 129-137 The neighborhood effects of disrupted family processes on adolescent substanceÂ use
by Bernburg, Jon Gunnar & Thorlindsson, Thorolfur & Sigfusdottir, Inga D.
- 138-146 Childhood physical abuse and midlife physical health: Testing a multi-pathway life course model
by Springer, Kristen W.
June 2009, Volume 68, Issue 12
- 2097-2103 Differences in self-rated health by immigrant status and language preference among Arab Americans in the Detroit Metropolitan Area
by Abdulrahim, Sawsan & Baker, Wayne
- 2104-2112 Social connections, immigration-related factors, and self-rated physical and mental health among Asian Americans
by Zhang, Wei & Ta, Van M.
- 2113-2121 Low-income mothers' social support and children's injuries
by Leininger, Lindsey Jeanne & Ryan, Rebecca M. & Kalil, Ariel
- 2122-2128 Income incongruity, relative household income, and preterm birth in the Black Women's Health Study
by Phillips, Ghasi S. & Wise, Lauren A. & Rich-Edwards, Janet W. & Stampfer, Meir J. & Rosenberg, Lynn
- 2129-2136 Bonding and bridging neighborliness: An individual-level study in the context of health
by Beaudoin, Christopher E.
- 2137-2144 Parent-child dietary intake resemblance in the United States: Evidence from a large representative survey
by Beydoun, May A. & Wang, Youfa
- 2145-2151 Time perspective and socioeconomic status: A link to socioeconomic disparities in health?
by Guthrie, Lori C. & Butler, Stephen C. & Ward, Michael M.
- 2152-2160 Socioeconomic status and health in the Japanese population
by Kagamimori, Sadanobu & Gaina, Alexandru & Nasermoaddeli, Ali
- 2161-2169 The role of socioeconomic indicators on non-alcohol and alcohol-associated suicide mortality among women in Finland. A register-based follow-up study of 12 million person-years
by Mäki, Netta & Martikainen, Pekka
- 2170-2179 Changing health status and health expectancies among older adults in China: Gender differences from 1992 to 2002
by Gu, Danan & Dupre, Matthew E. & Warner, David F. & Zeng, Yi
- 2180-2189 Poverty-alleviation program participation and salivary cortisol in very low-income children
by Fernald, Lia C.H. & Gunnar, Megan R.
- 2190-2198 Looking for resilience: Understanding the longitudinal trajectories of responses to stress
by Norris, Fran H. & Tracy, Melissa & Galea, Sandro
- 2199-2205 Determinants, correlates and mediators of psychological distress: A longitudinal study
by Gadalla, Tahany M.
- 2206-2214 Theory driven research designs for explaining behavioural health risk transitions: The case of smoking
by Dixon, Jane & Banwell, Cathy
- 2215-2222 Why do people cooperate with medical research? Findings from three studies
by Dixon-Woods, Mary & Tarrant, Carolyn
- 2223-2230 Understanding pharmacists' values: A qualitative study of ideals and dilemmas in UK pharmacy practice
by Benson, Ailsa & Cribb, Alan & Barber, Nick
- 2231-2239 US religious congregations and the sponsorship of health-related programs
by Trinitapoli, Jenny & Ellison, Christopher G. & Boardman, Jason D.
- 2240-2246 Drivers of tuberculosis epidemics: The role of risk factors and social determinants
by Lönnroth, Knut & Jaramillo, Ernesto & Williams, Brian G. & Dye, Christopher & Raviglione, Mario
- 2247-2255 Investigating public preferences on 'severity of health' as a relevant condition for setting healthcare priorities
by Green, Colin
- 2256-2262 Health policy reform in China: Lessons from Asia
by Ramesh, M. & Wu, Xun
- 2263-2270 Increasing the acceptability of HIV counseling and testing with three C's: Convenience, confidentiality and credibility
by Angotti, Nicole & Bula, Agatha & Gaydosh, Lauren & Kimchi, Eitan Zeev & Thornton, Rebecca L. & Yeatman, Sara E.
- 2271-2278 A comparison of HIV stigma and discrimination in five international sites: The influence of care and treatment resources in high prevalence settings
by Maman, Suzanne & Abler, Laurie & Parker, Lisa & Lane, Tim & Chirowodza, Admire & Ntogwisangu, Jacob & Srirak, Namtip & Modiba, Precious & Murima, Oliver & Fritz, Katherine
- 2279-2287 A comparison of HIV/AIDS-related stigma in four countries: Negative attitudes and perceived acts of discrimination towards people living with HIV/AIDS
by Genberg, Becky L. & Hlavka, Zdenek & Konda, Kelika A. & Maman, Suzanne & Chariyalertsak, Suwat & Chingono, Alfred & Mbwambo, Jessie & Modiba, Precious & Van Rooyen, Heidi & Celentano, David D.
June 2009, Volume 68, Issue 11
- 1909-1913 Inequality, race, and mortality in U.S. cities: A political and econometric review of Deaton and Lubotsky (56:6, 1139-1153, 2003)
by Ash, Michael & Robinson, Dean E.
- 1914-1917 Income inequality and mortality in U.S. cities: Weighing the evidence. A response to Ash
by Deaton, Angus & Lubotsky, Darren
- 1918-1925 The effect of changes in health sector resources on infant mortality in the short-run and the long-run: A longitudinal econometric analysis
by Farahani, Mansour & Subramanian, S.V. & Canning, David
- 1926-1934 The influence of national policy change on subnational policymaking: Medicaid nursing facility reimbursement in the American states
by Miller, Edward Alan & Wang, Lili
- 1935-1942 "I can see where they're coming from, but when you're on the end of it ... you just want to get the money and the drug.": Explaining reactions to explicit healthcare rationing
by Owen-Smith, Amanda & Coast, Joanna & Donovan, Jenny
- 1943-1947 How the economy affects teenage weight
by Arkes, Jeremy
- 1948-1955 Associations between maternal older age, family environment and parent and child wellbeing in families using assisted reproductive techniques to conceive
by Boivin, J. & Rice, Frances & Hay, Dale & Harold, Gordon & Lewis, Allyson & van den Bree, Marianne M.B. & Thapar, Anita
- 1956-1965 Family and school socioeconomic disadvantage: Interactive influences on adolescent dating violence victimization
by Spriggs, Aubrey L. & Halpern, Carolyn Tucker & Herring, Amy H. & Schoenbach, Victor J.
- 1966-1974 Perceived discrimination and health among Puerto Rican and Mexican Americans: Buffering effect of the Lazo matrimonial?
by Lee, Min-Ah & Ferraro, Kenneth F.
- 1975-1984 Neighborhood residential segregation and mental health: A multilevel analysis on Hispanic Americans in Chicago
by Lee, Min-Ah
- 1985-1992 Geographic hierarchies of diagnostic practice style in cerebrovascular disease
by Yiannakoulias, Nikolaos & Hill, Michael D. & Svenson, Lawrence W.
- 1993-2001 A multilevel analysis of social capital and self-rated health: Evidence from the British Household Panel Survey
by Snelgrove, John W. & Pikhart, Hynek & Stafford, Mai
- 2002-2009 Fostering deliberations about health innovation: What do we want to know from publics?
by Lehoux, Pascale & Daudelin, Genevieve & Demers-Payette, Olivier & Boivin, Antoine
- 2010-2017 Distinguishing research from clinical care in cancer genetics: Theoretical justifications and practical strategies
by Hallowell, Nina & Cooke, Sarah & Crawford, Gill & Lucassen, Anneke & Parker, Michael
- 2018-2028 It's not just what you say, it's also how you say it: Opening the 'black box' of informed consent appointments in randomised controlled trials
by Wade, Julia & Donovan, Jenny L. & Athene Lane, J. & Neal, David E. & Hamdy, Freddie C.
- 2029-2036 "I couldn't say, I'm not a girl" - Adolescents talk about gender and marijuana use
by Haines, Rebecca J. & Johnson, Joy L. & Carter, Connie I. & Arora, Kamal
- 2037-2044 Talking the talk, walking the walk: Social network norms, communication patterns, and condom use among the male partners of female sex workers in La Romana, Dominican Republic
by Barrington, Clare & Latkin, Carl & Sweat, Michael D. & Moreno, Luis & Ellen, Jonathan & Kerrigan, Deanna
- 2045-2052 Symbolic capital and health: The case of women's sex work in Antananarivo, Madagascar
by Stoebenau, Kirsten
- 2053-2060 Colonialism, Biko and AIDS: Reflections on the principle of beneficence in South African medical ethics
by Braude, Hillel David
- 2061-2068 The problem of infertility in high fertility populations: Meanings, consequences and coping mechanisms in two Nigerian communities
by Hollos, Marida & Larsen, Ulla & Obono, Oka & Whitehouse, Bruce
- 2069-2077 Unintended consequences: Exploring the tensions between development programs and indigenous women in Mexico in the context of reproductive health
by Smith-Oka, Vania
- 2078-2088 Motivation, money and respect: A mixed-method study of Tanzanian non-physician clinicians
by Chandler, Clare I.R. & Chonya, Semkini & Mtei, Frank & Reyburn, Hugh & Whitty, Christopher J.M.
- 2089-2096 Explanatory models of influences on the construction and expression of user satisfaction
by Atkinson, Sarah & Medeiros, Regianne L.
May 2009, Volume 68, Issue 10
- 1745-1751 A survey of self-directed dying attended by proxies in the Dutch population
by Chabot, Boudewijn E. & Goedhart, Arnold
- 1752-1758 The rapidly changing location of death in Canada, 1994-2004
by Wilson, Donna M. & Truman, Corrine D. & Thomas, Roger & Fainsinger, Robin & Kovacs-Burns, Kathy & Froggatt, Katherine & Justice, Christopher
- 1759-1765 You'll "Get Viagraed:" Mexican men's preference for alternative erectile dysfunction treatment
by Wentzell, Emily & Salmerón, Jorge
- 1766-1774 Decisions about Pap tests: What influences women and providers?
by Fiebig, Denzil G. & Haas, Marion & Hossain, Ishrat & Street, Deborah J. & Viney, Rosalie
- 1775-1779 Prescribing behaviour of village doctors under China's New Cooperative Medical Scheme
by Sun, Xiaoyun & Jackson, Sukhan & Carmichael, Gordon A. & Sleigh, Adrian C.
- 1780-1787 Do lower birth weight babies have lower grades? Twin fixed effect and instrumental variable method evidence from Taiwan
by Lin, Ming-Jen & Liu, Jin-Tan
- 1788-1792 Policy determinants affecting the hunger millennium development goal
by Palma, Marco Antonio & Ortiz, Rocio & Alvarez-Dardet, Carlos & Ruiz, Maria T.
- 1793-1800 "It's all the time in my mind": Facilitators of adherence to antiretroviral therapy in a Tanzanian setting
by Watt, Melissa H. & Maman, Suzanne & Earp, Jo Anne & Eng, Eugenia & Setel, Philip W. & Golin, Carol E. & Jacobson, Mark
- 1801-1809 The independent contribution of individual-, neighbourhood-, and country-level socioeconomic position on attitudes towards intimate partner violence against women in sub-Saharan Africa: A multilevel model of direct and moderating effects
by Uthman, Olalekan Abdulrahman & Moradi, Tahereh & Lawoko, Stephen
- 1810-1818 Is education the link between orphanhood and HIV/HSV-2 risk among female adolescents in urban Zimbabwe?
by Birdthistle, Isolde & Floyd, Sian & Nyagadza, Auxillia & Mudziwapasi, Netsai & Gregson, Simon & Glynn, Judith R.
- 1819-1825 Individual, familial and community determinants of child physical abuse among high-school students in China
by Wong, William Chi Wai & Chen, Wei Qing & Goggins, William B. & Tang, Catherine S. & Leung, Phil W.
- 1826-1834 Social determinants of child and adolescent traffic-related and intentional injuries: A multilevel study in Stockholm County
by Laflamme, Lucie & Hasselberg, Marie & Reimers, Anne-Mari & Cavalini, Luciana Tricai & Ponce de Leon, Antonio
- 1835-1842 Social mobility: Evidence that it can widen health inequalities
by Boyle, Paul J. & Norman, Paul & Popham, Frank
- 1843-1851 Objective and subjective social class gradients for substance use among Mexican adolescents
by Ritterman, Miranda Lucia & Fernald, Lia C. & Ozer, Emily J. & Adler, Nancy E. & Gutierrez, Juan Pablo & Syme, S. Leonard
- 1852-1858 Ethnicity and nativity status as determinants of perceived social support: Testing the concept of familism
by Almeida, Joanna & Molnar, Beth E. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Subramanian, S.V.
- 1859-1865 Neighborhood racial composition, social capital and black all-cause mortality in Philadelphia
by Hutchinson, Rebbeca N. & Putt, Mary A. & Dean, Lorraine T. & Long, Judith A. & Montagnet, Chantal A. & Armstrong, Katrina
- 1866-1874 Discrimination, work and health in immigrant populations in Spain
by Agudelo-Suárez, Andrés & Gil-González, Diana & Ronda-Pérez, Elena & Porthé, Victoria & Paramio-Pérez, Gema & García, Ana M. & Garí, Aitana
- 1875-1881 Effect of job strain and depressive symptoms upon returning to work after acute coronary syndrome
by Fukuoka, Yoshimi & Dracup, Kathleen & Takeshima, Masako & Ishii, Noriko & Makaya, Miyuki & Groah, Linda & Kyriakidis, Erick
- 1882-1891 "There are always two sides to these things": Managing the dilemma of serious adverse effects from SSRIs
by Liebert, Rachel & Gavey, Nicola
- 1892-1900 How young people find out about their family history of Huntington's disease
by Forrest Keenan, Karen & van Teijlingen, Edwin & McKee, Lorna & Miedzybrodzka, Zosia & Simpson, Sheila A.
- 1901-1907 'You are not yourself': Exploring masculinities among heterosexual African men living with HIV in London
by Doyal, Lesley & Anderson, Jane & Paparini, Sara
May 2009, Volume 68, Issue 9
- 1561-1564 Early-life effects on socio-economic performance and mortality in later life: A full life-course approach using contemporary and historical sources
by Bengtsson, Tommy & Mineau, Geraldine P.
- 1565-1573 Do childhood cognitive ability or smoking behaviour explain the influence of lifetime socio-economic conditions on premature adult mortality in a British post war birth cohort?
by Kuh, Diana & Shah, Imran & Richards, Marcus & Mishra, Gita & Wadsworth, Michael & Hardy, Rebecca
- 1574-1582 Early childhood health, reproduction of economic inequalities and the persistence of health and mortality differentials
by Palloni, Alberto & Milesi, Carolina & White, Robert G. & Turner, Alyn
- 1583-1590 Do conditions in early life affect old-age mortality directly and indirectly? Evidence from 19th-century rural Sweden
by Bengtsson, Tommy & Broström, Göran
- 1591-1598 Exogenous determinants of early-life conditions, and mortality later in life
by van den Berg, Gerard J. & Doblhammer, Gabriele & Christensen, Kaare
- 1599-1608 Testing the influenza-tuberculosis selective mortality hypothesis with Union Army data
by Noymer, Andrew
- 1609-1616 Does exposure to infectious diseases in infancy affect old-age mortality? Evidence from a pre-industrial population
by Gagnon, Alain & Mazan, Ryan
- 1617-1624 Infant mortality and diminished entelechy in three European countries
by Bruckner, Tim A. & Catalano, Ralph A.
- 1625-1632 Age at first birth, parity, and post-reproductive mortality among white and black women in the US, 1982-2002
by Spence, Naomi J. & Eberstein, Isaac W.
- 1633-1640 The impact of early twentieth century illegitimacy across three generations. Longevity and intergenerational health correlates
by Modin, Bitte & Koupil, Ilona & Vågerö, Denny
- 1641-1648 Long-term mortality consequences of childhood family context in Liaoning, China, 1749-1909
by Campbell, Cameron D. & Lee, James Z.
- 1649-1658 Effects of childhood and middle-adulthood family conditions on later-life mortality: Evidence from the Utah Population Database, 1850-2002
by Smith, Ken R. & Mineau, Geraldine P. & Garibotti, Gilda & Kerber, Richard
- 1659-1666 Harms and benefits: Collecting ethnicity data in a clinical context
by Varcoe, Colleen & Browne, Annette J. & Wong, Sabrina & Smye, Victoria L.
- 1667-1675 Do biological, sociodemographic, and behavioral characteristics explain racial/ethnic disparities in preterm births?
by Sparks, P. Johnelle
- 1676-1684 Does health predict the reporting of racial discrimination or do reports of discrimination predict health? Findings from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth
by Gee, Gilbert & Walsemann, Katrina
- 1685-1691 Overweight status, self-perception, and suicidal behaviors among adolescents
by Dave, Dhaval & Rashad, Inas
- 1692-1699 Social origins, early hardship and obesity: A strong association in women, but not in men?
by Khlat, Myriam & Jusot, Florence & Ville, Isabelle
- 1700-1710 The effects of exercise interventions on quality of life in clinical and healthy populations; a meta-analysis
by Gillison, Fiona Bridget & Skevington, Suzanne M. & Sato, Ayana & Standage, Martyn & Evangelidou, Stella
- 1711-1719 Health interventions and the persistence of rumour: The circulation of sterility stories in African public health campaigns
by Kaler, Amy
- 1720-1727 Childhood drowning in Matlab, Bangladesh: An in-depth exploration of community perceptions and practices
by Blum, Lauren S. & Khan, Rasheda & Hyder, Adnan A. & Shahanaj, Sabina & El Arifeen, Shams & Baqui, Abdullah
- 1728-1736 Diarrhoea, acute respiratory infection, and fever among children in the Democratic Republic of Congo
by Kandala, Ngianga-Bakwin & Emina, Jacques B. & Nzita, Paul Denis K. & Cappuccio, Francesco P.
- 1737-1744 "Nuts, schiz, psycho": An exploration of young homeless people's perceptions and dilemmas of defining mental health
by O'Reilly, Michelle & Taylor, Helen C. & Vostanis, Panos
April 2009, Volume 68, Issue 8
- 1361-1367 Evidence of localized clustering of gastroschisis births in North Carolina, 1999-2004
by Root, Elisabeth Dowling & Meyer, Robert E. & Emch, Michael E.
- 1368-1375 The dynamics of income and neighborhood context for population health: Do long-term measures of socioeconomic status explain more of the black/white health disparity than single-point-in-time measures?
by Do, D. Phuong
- 1376-1387 Conceptualizing community: A comparison of neighborhood characteristics of supportive housing for persons with psychiatric and developmental disabilities
by Irene Wong, Yin-Ling & Stanhope, Victoria
- 1388-1395 Pioneers and laggards - Is the effect of gender equality on health dependent on context?
by Backhans, Mona Christina & Burström, Bo & Lindholm, Lars & Månsdotter, Anna
- 1396-1406 Job loss is bad for your health - Swedish evidence on cause-specific hospitalization following involuntary job loss
by Eliason, Marcus & Storrie, Donald
- 1407-1415 Social patterns of pay systems and their associations with psychosocial job characteristics and burnout among paid employees in Taiwan
by Yeh, Wan-Yu & Cheng, Yawen & Chen, Chiou-Jung
- 1416-1424 Does school environment affect 11-year-olds' fruit and vegetable intake in Denmark?
by Krølner, Rikke & Due, Pernille & Rasmussen, Mette & Damsgaard, Mogens Trab & Holstein, Bjørn E. & Klepp, Knut-Inge & Lynch, John
- 1425-1431 Do childhood and adult socioeconomic circumstances influence health and physical function in middle-age?
by Osler, Merete & Madsen, Mia & Nybo Andersen, Anne-Marie & Avlund, Kirsten & Mcgue, Matt & Jeune, Bernard & Christensen, Kaare
- 1432-1438 Do consultation charges deter general practitioner use among older people? A natural experiment
by Layte, Richard & Nolan, Anne & McGee, Hannah & O'Hanlon, Ann
- 1439-1447 Tobacco control policies are egalitarian: A vulnerabilities perspective on clean indoor air laws, cigarette prices, and tobacco use disparities
by Dinno, Alexis & Glantz, Stanton
- 1448-1455 Writing social determinants into and out of cancer control: An assessment of policy practice
by Carter, Stacy M. & Hooker, L. Claire & Davey, Heather M.
- 1456-1463 'Fruit of the accords': Healthcare reform and civil participation in Highland Guatemala
by Maupin, Jonathan Nathaniel
- 1464-1471 Ritual and the organisation of care in primary care clinics in Cape Town, South Africa
by Lewin, Simon & Green, Judith
- 1472-1480 Genetics on stage: Public engagement in health policy development on preimplantation genetic diagnosis
by Cox, Susan M. & Kazubowski-Houston, Magdalena & Nisker, Jeff
- 1481-1488 Imagining value, imagining users: Academic technology transfer for health innovation
by Miller, Fiona Alice & Sanders, Carrie B. & Lehoux, Pascale
- 1489-1497 Negotiating science and experience in medical knowledge: Gynaecologists on endometriosis
by Whelan, Emma
- 1498-1505 Diagnosing and treating premenstrual syndrome in five western nations
by Weisz, George & Knaapen, Loes
- 1506-1512 A dialogic model of conversations about risk: Coordinating perceptions and achieving quality decisions in cancer care
by Collins, Dorothy L. & Street Jr., Richard L.
- 1513-1520 Media saturation, communication exposure and HIV stigma in Nigeria
by Babalola, Stella & Fatusi, Adesegun & Anyanti, Jennifer
- 1521-1526 Combining education and video-based contact to reduce stigma of mental illness: "The Same or Not the Same" anti-stigma program for secondary schools in Hong Kong
by Chan, Jenny Y.N. & Mak, Winnie W.S. & Law, Lawrence S.C.
- 1527-1534 Perceived financial status, health, and maladjustment in adolescence
by Hamilton, Hayley A. & Noh, Samuel & Adlaf, Edward M.
- 1535-1540 Partner- and partnership-related risk factors for preterm birth among low-income women in Lima, Peru
by Paul, Kathleen & Garcia, Pedro J. & Manhart, Lisa E. & Holmes, King K. & Hitti, Jane E.
- 1541-1547 Can sex workers regulate police? Learning from an HIV prevention project for sex workers in southern India
by Biradavolu, Monica Rao & Burris, Scott & George, Annie & Jena, Asima & Blankenship, Kim M.
- 1548-1551 Rethinking gender-based violence during war: Is violence against civilian men a problem worth addressing?
by Linos, Natalia
- 1552-1560 Illegality as risk factor: A survey of unauthorized migrant patients in a Berlin clinic
by Castañeda, Heide
April 2009, Volume 68, Issue 7
- 1191-1198 Reconfiguring or reproducing intra-professional boundaries? Specialist expertise, generalist knowledge and the 'modernization' of the medical workforce
by Martin, Graham P. & Currie, Graeme & Finn, Rachael
- 1199-1205 Rethinking collegiality: Restratification in English general medical practice 2004-2008
by McDonald, Ruth & Checkland, Kath & Harrison, Stephen & Coleman, Anna
- 1206-1212 Practice nurses and the effects of the new general practitioner contract in the English National Health Service: The extension of a professional project?
by McDonald, Ruth & Campbell, Stephen & Lester, Helen
- 1213-1220 A discourse analysis on how service providers in non-medical primary health and social care services understand their roles in mental health care
by Mitchell, Penelope Fay
- 1221-1228 The politics of interprofessional working and the struggle for professional autonomy in nursing
by Salhani, Daniel & Coulter, Ian
- 1229-1237 The opening phase of telemedicine consultations: An analysis of interaction
by Pappas, Yannis & Seale, Clive
- 1238-1246 The clinical encounter as local moral world: Shifts of assumptions and transformation in relational context
by Katz, Arlene M. & Alegría, Margarita
- 1247-1253 Childhood sexual abuse and adult binge drinking among Kanak women in New Caledonia
by Hamelin, Christine & Salomon, Christine & Sitta, Rémi & Gueguen, Alice & Cyr, Diane & Lert, France
- 1254-1262 The specter of post-communism: Women and alcohol in eight post-Soviet states
by Hinote, Brian Philip & Cockerham, William C. & Abbott, Pamela
- 1263-1270 Social roles and alcohol consumption: A study of 10 industrialised countries
by Kuntsche, Sandra & Knibbe, Ronald A. & Gmel, Gerhard
- 1271-1278 Female ever-smoking, education, emancipation and economic development in 19 European countries
by Schaap, Maartje M. & Kunst, Anton E. & Leinsalu, Mall & Regidor, Enrique & Espelt, Albert & Ekholm, Ola & Helmert, Uwe & Klumbiene, Jurate & Mackenbach, Johan P.
- 1279-1284 To what extent does socioeconomic status explain differences in health between Roma and non-Roma adolescents in Slovakia?
by Kolarcik, Peter & Geckova, Andrea Madarasova & Orosova, Olga & van Dijk, Jitse P. & Reijneveld, Sijmen A.
- 1285-1293 Neighborhood built environment and income: Examining multiple health outcomes
by Sallis, James F. & Saelens, Brian E. & Frank, Lawrence D. & Conway, Terry L. & Slymen, Donald J. & Cain, Kelli L. & Chapman, James E. & Kerr, Jacqueline
- 1294-1304 Pathways connecting neighborhood influences and mental well-being: Socioeconomic position and gender differences
by Burke, Jessica & O'Campo, Patricia & Salmon, Christina & Walker, Renee
- 1305-1314 Why have physical activity levels declined among Chinese adults? Findings from the 1991-2006 China health and nutrition surveys
by Ng, Shu Wen & Norton, Edward C. & Popkin, Barry M.
- 1315-1321 Famine, death, and madness: Schizophrenia in early adulthood after prenatal exposure to the Chinese Great Leap Forward Famine
by Song, Shige & Wang, Wei & Hu, Peifeng
- 1322-1331 Was the economic crisis 1997-1998 responsible for rising suicide rates in East/Southeast Asia? A time-trend analysis for Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and Thailand
by Chang, Shu-Sen & Gunnell, David & Sterne, Jonathan A.C. & Lu, Tsung-Hsueh & Cheng, Andrew T.A.
- 1332-1340 Community-based delivery of maternal care in conflict-affected areas of eastern Burma: Perspectives from lay maternal health workers
by Teela, Katherine C. & Mullany, Luke C. & Lee, Catherine I. & Poh, Eh & Paw, Palae & Masenior, Nicole & Maung, Cynthia & Beyrer, Chris & Lee, Thomas J.
- 1341-1348 Relationships between health and culture in Polynesia - A review
by Capstick, Stuart & Norris, Pauline & Sopoaga, Faafetai & Tobata, Wale
- 1349-1356 Understanding gendered influences on women's reproductive health in Pakistan: Moving beyond the autonomy paradigm
by Mumtaz, Zubia & Salway, Sarah
- 1357-1360 Reflecting and shaping the discourse: The role of music in AIDS communication in Tanzania
by Bastien, Sheri
March 2009, Volume 68, Issue 6
- 991-995 Animal-human connections, "one health," and the syndemic approach to prevention
by Rock, Melanie & Buntain, Bonnie J. & Hatfield, Jennifer M. & Hallgrímsson, Benedikt
- 996-999 Doorways in nature: Syndemics, zoonotics, and public health. A commentary on Rock, Buntain, Hatfield & Hallgrímsson
by Singer, Merrill C.
- 1000-1005 Counter design influences the privacy of patients in health care
by Mobach, Mark P.
- 1006-1012 Can the emotion of disgust be harnessed to promote hand hygiene? Experimental and field-based tests
by Porzig-Drummond, Renata & Stevenson, Richard & Case, Trevor & Oaten, Megan
- 1013-1020 Explaining socio-economic status differences in walking for transport: An ecological analysis of individual, social and environmental factors
by Cerin, Ester & Leslie, Eva & Owen, Neville
- 1021-1029 Modelling the effects of intimate partner violence and access to resources on women's health in the early years after leaving an abusive partner
by Ford-Gilboe, Marilyn & Wuest, Judith & Varcoe, Colleen & Davies, Lorraine & Merritt-Gray, Marilyn & Campbell, Jacquelyn & Wilk, Piotr
- 1030-1037 Video messaging: What works to persuade mothers to supervise young children more closely in order to reduce injury risk?
by Morrongiello, Barbara A. & Zdzieborski, Daniel & Sandomierski, Megan & Lasenby-Lessard, Jennifer
- 1038-1043 Peer-group support intervention improves the psychosocial well-being of AIDS orphans: Cluster randomized trial
by Kumakech, Edward & Cantor-Graae, Elizabeth & Maling, Samuel & Bajunirwe, Francis
- 1044-1049 Migration adversely affects antiretroviral adherence in a population-based cohort of HIV/AIDS patients
by Lima, Viviane & Fernandes, Kimberly & Rachlis, Beth & Druyts, Eric & Montaner, Julio & Hogg, Robert
- 1050-1059 Medical promise and the recalibration of expectation: Hope and HIV treatment engagement in a transitional setting
by Rhodes, Tim & Bernays, Sarah & Terzic, Katarina Jankovic
- 1060-1068 The effects of trust in physician on self-efficacy, adherence and diabetes outcomes
by Lee, Yin-Yang & Lin, Julia L.
- 1069-1074 Barriers to clinical research participation in a diabetes randomized clinical trial
by Robiner, William N. & Yozwiak, John A. & Bearman, Diane L. & Strand, Trudy D. & Strasburg, Katherine R.
- 1075-1081 Perceived occupational stress, affective, and physical well-being among telecommunication employees in Greece
by Lazuras, Lambros & Rodafinos, Angelos & Matsiggos, Georgios & Stamatoulakis, Alexander
- 1082-1090 The structuring of occupational stressors in a Post-Fordist work environment. Moving beyond traditional accounts of demand, control and support
by Vanroelen, Christophe & Levecque, Katia & Moors, Guy & Gadeyne, Sylvie & Louckx, Fred
- 1091-1097 Occupation and plasma fibrinogen in Japanese male and female workers: The Jichi Medical School Cohort study
by Hirokawa, Kumi & Tsutsumi, Akizumi & Kayaba, Kazunori
- 1098-1105 The spatial dimensions of neighborhood effects
by Spielman, Seth E. & Yoo, Eun-hye
- 1106-1113 Transitions in living arrangements of Canadian seniors: Findings from the NPHS longitudinal data
by Sarma, Sisira & Hawley, Gordon & Basu, Kisalaya
- 1114-1123 Length of life inequality around the globe
by Smits, Jeroen & Monden, Christiaan